PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint dot sizes?

mhanna91
11-16-10, 09:16
I am considering an Aimpoint Comp M2 or M3 series sight in the near future as I have found a buyer for my Eotech 512. I am stumped as to which dot size I should get though. At first I was thinking I would get the 2 MOA, due to the fact that I liked my Eotech's 1 MOA center dot for longer range shooting so much. However, now I am considering whether or not the 2 MOA dot would be easy to pick up quickly at close range. I have never tried an Aimpoint, dont know anybody who has one, and nobody around here sells them, so going hands on is not an option for me. So what do you guys think? Is the 4 MOA acceptable for long range shooting (300 yards at the furthest)? Is the 2 MOA acceptable for close range, fast target engagement? Is either one OK for both purposes? Why cant Aimpoint just make a sight with an EoTech reticle??? This is why I want a 553!

Thomas M-4
11-16-10, 09:23
2moa dot is plenty easy to pick up.
When turned up the 2 moa dot will bloom.

kartoffel
11-16-10, 09:25
Let's put it this way: a 0.070" front sight post on an M4 is 16.6 MOA wide.

mhanna91
11-16-10, 09:39
2moa dot is plenty easy to pick up.
When turned up the 2 moa dot will bloom.

Do you mean "bloom" in a good or bad way? I ask because I dont know whether you mean that the dot appears larger with more brightness, or that it just starts to glare and becomes a blob with more brightness.

ehcarl2983
11-16-10, 09:41
Go with the 2 MOA. 4MOA will look really big at 300 yds 12 inches to be exact.

Thomas M-4
11-16-10, 09:59
Do you mean "bloom" in a good or bad way? I ask because I dont know whether you mean that the dot appears larger with more brightness, or that it just starts to glare and becomes a blob with more brightness.

Well normally I run it in setting 7-8 at the range it has 10 settings.
On 10 [I call it the AA setting because you can almost point it at the sun before it washes out] will bloom the dot bigger. But I have never needed to use it that high. What I am trying to say it has more than enough brightness capability. So I would say in a good way because 99.9% of the time you shouldn't need it but if you do you can.
Does that make sense?

mhanna91
11-16-10, 10:03
Yes it makes sense now. I think you are trying to say that the 2 moa dot is sufficient on regular brightness settings at close range, but if for whatever reason I did need to turn it up further, I can and it would be really really bright.

Thomas M-4
11-16-10, 10:17
Yes it makes sense now. I think you are trying to say that the 2 moa dot is sufficient on regular brightness settings at close range, but if for whatever reason I did need to turn it up further, I can and it would be really really bright.

Yeap pretty much.

Heidevolk
11-16-10, 10:23
If you're doing mostly close-range stuff check out the H-1 :-)

dfsutton
11-16-10, 13:10
I am considering an Aimpoint Comp M2 or M3 series sight in the near future as I have found a buyer for my Eotech 512. I am stumped as to which dot size I should get though. At first I was thinking I would get the 2 MOA, due to the fact that I liked my Eotech's 1 MOA center dot for longer range shooting so much. However, now I am considering whether or not the 2 MOA dot would be easy to pick up quickly at close range. I have never tried an Aimpoint, dont know anybody who has one, and nobody around here sells them, so going hands on is not an option for me. So what do you guys think? Is the 4 MOA acceptable for long range shooting (300 yards at the furthest)? Is the 2 MOA acceptable for close range, fast target engagement? Is either one OK for both purposes? Why cant Aimpoint just make a sight with an EoTech reticle??? This is why I want a 553!

Visually, I cannot tell a real difference between an Aimpoint M4 with the 2 moa dot and an Aimpoint T-1 with a 4 moa dot. I've shot ARs with both and the difference is minute at best.

Your mileage may vary.

TAZ
11-16-10, 14:00
I also couldn't really tell a huge difference between the 2 or 4 moa dots. I went with the 2 moa dot thinking that if I put a 3x magnifier behind the thing the 4 moa would grow to 12 moa which is quite huge.