PDA

View Full Version : Location preference for rear sling mount

bdoub1eu
11-16-10, 09:36
Guys, new to the AR platform and just wanted your opinion. Picked up the DDM4 V5 last week and was wanting to know your preference for a rear sling mount? The DDM4 that I bought came with the rear QD swival attachment point but I can also attach to the rear buttstock (Magpul stock). What do you guys prefer? Sorry, if this is a newbie question but...Hey, I'm a newbie.

devilsdeeds
11-16-10, 10:43
I prefer using the outside qd socket on the stock myself, so I dont choke myself on weak side transitions but try them all and use whatever works best for you.

Eric D.
11-16-10, 11:03
I like the Noveske end plate with the QD swivel mount. it brings the rifle up a little closer to my chest so it doesn't hang so low with a one-point.

D. Christopher
11-16-10, 13:23
Magpul ASAP gives me the most flexibility for ambi shooting but they're not for everyone. I think they're great.

11-16-10, 13:29
You will have to answer this question yourself through shakedowns in training classes. Everyone is different and it may even change for you as you evolve. Pick a place, shake it down in a class, and see if it works. What works for me may not work for you. In a class you'll see slings mounted a variety of ways.

The_War_Wagon
11-16-10, 15:39
I'm partial to the Tactical Link Z360 QD mount. If your castle nut is properly staked especially, the Tactical Link mount requires no gunsmithing - no UN-staking! :cool:

DaBears_85
11-16-10, 16:18
Well as mentioned above, it's completely subjective to the end-user, but I think you'll find that the majority of folks prefer using the endplate as a rear-attachment point. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of the IKH SLAP (http://ikickhippies.com/slap/).

yellowv
11-16-10, 17:14
I like an endplate mount, but it is all about what works best for YOU.

lethal dose
11-16-10, 17:22
I use the exact mount you have. I love it. Run the gun in a decent car class and your questions will be answered.

DaBears_85
11-16-10, 17:56
I use the exact mount you have. I love it. Run the gun in a decent car class and your questions will be answered.

To whom are you referring?

Surf
11-16-10, 18:21
Depends on the person and the type of gear that they may or may not be using. For myself I like both options. I primarily run the attachment at the end plate. Keeps the rifle higher and I am more easily able to pull off a transition to the support side with this connection point. However the rifle is less stable for other things.

With it attached at the stock, I have a harder time transitioning and the rifle sits lower on my front. However when I want to cinch down the rifle to my body there is more control of the rifle. This is beneficial for climbing and rappelling. There are other reasons also but these are my main points. I like the ability of having the options available to suit my needs.

joe-bananas
11-16-10, 19:02
I'm partial to the QD cups on my UBRs. For the rifles that don't have the forward QD mounts, I like Noveske's end plate, but better even is Magpul's ASAP plate.

I Kick Hippies (http://www.ikickhippies.com/) has a caveman-simple mount that works well, too.

lethal dose
11-16-10, 19:09
To whom are you referring?

The OP.

lethal dose
11-16-10, 19:11
In reference to the dd rec end plate qd mount.

Dave_M
11-16-10, 19:38
Invariably top rear end of buttstock.

kwelz
11-16-10, 20:00
I run Noveske QD endplates on all my guns.

markm
11-16-10, 20:02
Invariably top rear end of buttstock.

That's where I like mine, but it really is a preference thing. I absolutely do NOT like the QD thingies... That's just my preference. I use Paracord instead... quieter and not mechanical.

citizensoldier16
11-16-10, 21:05
I use the Magpul ASAP. It keeps the rifle up higher and isn't nearly as finnicky as the QD snaps. Just my personal opinion.

usmcvet
11-16-10, 21:11
I like the rear of the stock. I like the Noveske QD end plates too.

SW-Shooter
11-17-10, 00:44
An old school grunt that carried an M203 for most of my eleven years, I used the V sling in the front sight and the sling looped around the stock.

I can't get used to single point slings, so I use a two way with QD mounts on the left side rear and left side front at the beginning of the rail. That fits me the best, but each individual will likely have their own way that's comfortable.

M4Fundi
11-17-10, 03:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27904

arizonaranchman
11-17-10, 08:51
You will have to answer this question yourself through shakedowns in training classes. Everyone is different and it may even change for you as you evolve. Pick a place, shake it down in a class, and see if it works. What works for me may not work for you. In a class you'll see slings mounted a variety of ways.

Exactly. Try various ways and pick what suits you best according to your style, the gear you carry, environment in which you're carrying it, etc.

I like the Novesky QD endplate and use it on my 14.5" gun.

My 16" has the Daniel Defense QD mount that attaches just behind the endplate, but I also use a two-point sling on that gun for general carrying for mtn lions here at home as I live in a rural mountainous area. For defense/training I use the singlepoint QD.

tsmith247
11-17-10, 11:55
personally, i use the ASAP with the MS2 sling. doesn't get caught up at all.

kwelz
11-17-10, 13:20
personally, i use the ASAP with the MS2 sling. doesn't get caught up at all.

Nope you can't get caught up in the setup. But it sure is a painful one. :sarcastic:

I used to run it myself. Like the ASAP plate. Sing is deadly though that is for sure.