PDA

View Full Version : money in hand, just need some opinions

Fr3EK
11-16-10, 14:09
I've been looking and looking and finally have narrowed my list down and have 3 rifles in mind just need some help now.

LMT MRP (piston version)
LWRC M6A3
Daniel Defense DDM4v1 with RIS II, Aimpoint M4s, and Magpul ACS stock

any opinions are welcome. thanks in advance for the help :)

bkb0000
11-16-10, 14:15
this poll is gonna be weigh overwelmingly for the DD option. why do you have two pistons and one DI up there? why include pistons in your choice? i think you need to do some more thinking and at least narrow it down to piston OR di.

THCDDM4
11-16-10, 14:34
Don't let that cash burn a hole in your hand. Do some more research and find what will best fit your needs. It seems you are not sure what you want; as BKB0000 eluded to above you're comparing apples to oranges.

I would get the DD with the extras though...

stifled
11-16-10, 14:47
It all depends on what your intended purpose is for the rifle. If I were buying one in my circumstances right now and money wasn't a factor, I'd probably go for the LMT, mainly because I don't have a piston AR. If it was my first or second AR, though, I'd go with the DD.

fivefivesix
11-16-10, 14:50
i think everyone else has said, daniel defense, they have awesome customer service. the other 2 piston guns are in there own catagory. now take away the piston on the lmt and you might get a better poll.

The_War_Wagon
11-16-10, 15:11
Is this your first rifle? As a POF owner, I'd DEFINITELY recommend going with the DI rifle as your FIRST rifle - especially a known quality mfg. like Daniel Defense. Your dollars will go much further for a quality rifle, gear, mags and ammo!

GlockWRX
11-16-10, 15:13
As much as I love my LWRC and how slick the MRP set up is, I voted for the DD plus extras. All you really need is an RDS, light, and sling. You will be money ahead by the time you are all done, and can put that toward ammo and a class.

Good luck!

5pins
11-16-10, 15:19
Unless you can come up with a good reason to get a piston, I would get the DD.

500grains
11-16-10, 15:25
The piston systems are heavier and tend to be less accurate (generally...) than direct impingement guns. Having been very happy with DD, I would suggest you go that route.

D. Christopher
11-16-10, 15:27
This is probably just piling on but the DD package is really very nice, it would be hard to do better than that. LMT makes great stuff too but that's the one rifle they make that I wouldn't want at all. Not a fan of LWRC, especially a piston model.

kaltesherz
11-16-10, 17:04
Take your cash out of hand, put back in wallet, and spend a little more time on here reading and asking questions (after, of course, using the search function). Buying a quality AR is no easy task and should not be done in a hurry, otherwise you'll be playing the shoulda - coulda -woulda game.

DI vs Piston
Middie vs Carbine
14.5 pinned vs 16"
Fixed front sight vs low profile gas block
RDS vs ACOG
Aimpoint vs EOTech
FF vs Non-FF Rail
Paper vs Plastic

The list goes on forever... so again... take your time...

PS- I voted for DD, had you listed the DI LMT MRP it would've made things interesting...

seb5
11-16-10, 17:37
If you're not going to be shooting full auto, suppressed, in an SBR a piston does nothing that you need. Well they do generally weigh more.

DaBears_85
11-16-10, 18:12
I second, third and fourth the Daniel Defense. Leave the pistons to the AK's. :)

Elessar
11-16-10, 18:20
I recently saw a thread where the guy apparently had some hot ammo and popped a primer. The rifle would not cycle at all. Come to find out, a primer had lodged itself in the gas key.

So, there is one benefit to remember for the piston system. Less places for a primer to cause trouble. :D

bkb0000
11-16-10, 18:24
I recently saw a thread where the guy apparently had some hot ammo and popped a primer. The rifle would not cycle at all. Come to find out, a primer had lodged itself in the gas key.

So, there is one benefit to remember for the piston system. Less places for a primer to cause trouble. :D

but that's probably a 1 in 30,000,000 occurrence. would you trade that for all the drawbacks? like being heavier, less accurate, over-gassed, significantly harder on your already tender bolt, harder felt recoil, no standardization of parts, and the ridiculous price premium?

bigkracka
11-16-10, 19:15
If you don't have a piston, definitely LWRC, best piston rifles period.

Fr3EK
11-16-10, 19:52
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful. This will be my 2nd black rifle with my first being a Rock River Arms. I was just looking at the pistons just for the unique factor and the ease of cleaning. If I got the LMT MRP I would have gotten the DI kit so I can change it to DI when I wanted. LWRC I have held and had alot of slop in the lower and upper fit so I didn't know if that was all of them or just that one.

I really like the Daniel Defense DDM4 and my friend has one. They are amazing rifles with an amazing company. I'm just going to read and post some more on here and hopefully I can decide on something soon lol

El Vaquero
11-16-10, 20:33
I was in a similar quandary as you. I ended up getting a great deal on a LWRC 14.7" mid length so that is the route I went. If I didn't get such a great deal I would have definitely gone with DD.

I am very pleased with my LWRC. The only thing I would really consider (which weren't too popular when I bought my rifle), is to go with a light weight barrel. DD makes some nice ones in this configuration.

payj
11-17-10, 01:50
I like the idea of the DD. With the money left over you can buy other stuff needed such as ammo.

justin_247
11-17-10, 05:18
+1 on the DD, especially since you can get a complete upper receiver with BCG and the rail and gas system of your choice for $665.

Then you can buy a blemished BCM lower with VLTOR Modstock for another $299. You can save another $50 on this by going with an off-brand lower receiver, like Mega, Aero, or Spike's.

Add $25 to pay the FFL transfer fee.

Add $55-$65 for a rear BUIS.

Totals $995 - $1045 for a completely equipped carbine. That'll save you $600 - $1000 from the LWRC or the LMT to use for an RDS, sling, light, ammo, and training.

I would also look at BCM's offerings. You can get a complete basic carbine with a blemished lower from them without the rail system for about $900.

johnnychimpo
11-17-10, 10:49
Def DD. More for less.

Elessar
11-17-10, 12:25
Agreed. I was trying to be a bit sarcastic, but maybe it didn't come accross well.

but that's probably a 1 in 30,000,000 occurrence. would you trade that for all the drawbacks? like being heavier, less accurate, over-gassed, significantly harder on your already tender bolt, harder felt recoil, no standardization of parts, and the ridiculous price premium?

Fr3EK
11-17-10, 13:31
IDK if it matters, but I was going to be going the SBR and suppressor route. I went to fondle the DD today and they sold it :(. They said they can order another one though I would just have to pay for the extras seperately

BrentC
11-17-10, 13:35
yeah i would go with DD, but i prefer DI guns. i would go piston though if i had a F/A lower though.

bkb0000
11-17-10, 13:38
yeah i would go with DD, but i prefer DI guns. i would go piston though if i had a F/A lower though.

why?

Robb Jensen
11-17-10, 13:40
I'm not much a fan of piston systems, so I'd choose the DD of what the choices are.
If you just have to have a piston AR I'd recommend the LMT. The MRP can be switched back to D.I. when you get tired of the piston operating system.

JeffWard
11-17-10, 13:43
Get the DD, and use the cash to buy a second upper....

JeffWard

LRB45
11-17-10, 14:13
I would get the LMT MRP, but not in the piston form, I really would love to get one of those!

Fr3EK
11-17-10, 14:22
I'm sorry if I'm frustrating some people. I really am just excited that I might be getting a rifle is all lol. I just got a call that they have an SR15 in the shop for 1700 and I'm probably going to go look at that.

langston302
11-17-10, 14:24
I do not own any of the rifles listed. I cant add much but an opinion.

I have shot a DD M4 XV that one of our officers just purchased and I can say aftyer shooting 100 that IT WAS SMOOTH. Felt liquid in my hands, like everything was matched to be perfect. I have priced them out and for the money I just see any other weapon beside BCM that competes in the price range. DD has a reputation that speaks volumes

I would go with the DD....( this is coming from a guy that owns a Spikes M4LE)

kaltesherz
11-17-10, 17:36
I'm sorry if I'm frustrating some people. I really am just excited that I might be getting a rifle is all lol. I just got a call that they have an SR15 in the shop for 1700 and I'm probably going to go look at that.

SR15's are awesome rifles, but unless you're left-handed they're kinda overkill. Have you seen the special on Smartgunner.com for DD uppers? If you're looking to blow a bunch of cash buy one of those uppers, get a good lower, and give me the extra. I really want one of those DSA Imbel FAL's that AIM has and after stocking up on 2500 rounds of .308 I'm short on the cash for the actual rifle, so help a brother out.

In all seriousness, it sounds like you're looking to spend more than you need to. SR15's and MRP's are excellent weapons but are overkill. Esp pistons. If you're going to SBR than why don't you just buy the lower now and start the paperwork... kinda pointless to buy a 16" upper now just to pay to cut it down in a few months.
Patience dude... patience...

Robb Jensen
11-17-10, 18:07

I'd jump on that, That's one hell of a nice rifle for a STEAL!