PDA

View Full Version : Pistol grip shotgun now a destructive device?

500grains
11-16-10, 15:23
http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/ffl-newsletter-2009-11.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/atf-position-on-pistol-grip-shotguns-creates-new-danger

For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.

THCDDM4
11-16-10, 15:28
What a bunch of convuluted BS...

chadbag
11-16-10, 15:31
Congress needs to head this off at the pass...

Zhurdan
11-16-10, 16:04
Did find this interesting under the 5320.20 form section...

Note that there is no requirement for any person to
receive permission to move a silencer or firearm classified as
an “any other weapon” across State lines.

... and here I'd been including it on the 5320.20 each time. They never noted anything regarding it being on the form.

chadbag
11-16-10, 17:13
Did find this interesting under the 5320.20 form section...

... and here I'd been including it on the 5320.20 each time. They never noted anything regarding it being on the form.

Yeah when I moved residences I noticed that but my friend (big NFA guy at the time) and also our local NFA dealer mentioned it was a good idea to add it as a "courtesy" so I did. However, when going with just the "silencer" I have never bothered with the 5320.20 due to that

Chad

A-Bear680
11-16-10, 19:36
Congress needs to head this off at the pass...

Google :
BATFE reform and modernization bill

Already has over 260 co-sponsors . The Brady Bunch is going spastic trying to stop it from becoming law.

Saginaw79
11-16-10, 20:37
Pistol grip shotguns are not DDs, they are just classed as 'Firearms' which is why you can now have a PG shotgun w/ a barrel thats only 17(or less if you can find a PG long enough to take inches off the barrel) inches long to maintain a minimum length of 26" because they are not classed as a shotgun, so the barrel length thing is null and void for factory PG shotguns

Robb Jensen
11-16-10, 20:41
Pistol grip shotguns are not DDs, they are just classed as 'Firearms' which is why you can now have a PG shotgun w/ a barrel thats only 17(or less if you can find a PG long enough to take inches off the barrel) inches long to maintain a minimum length of 26" because they are not classed as a shotgun, so the barrel length thing is null and void for factory PG shotguns

Exactly. People are running around thinking the sky is falling (but I guess they're getting some exercise ;) ).

A shotgun is designed (by ATF definition) to be fired from the shoulder....aka it's a long gun.

A pistol gripped (no stock) shotgun ISN'T designed to be fired from the shoulder. It's a standard Title 1 firearm but isn't a 'shotgun'. On the 4473 you must be 21yrs old to buy a pistol gripped only shotgun, if it has a stock you must be least 18yrs old. It isn't a destructive device because 12ga is a normal sporting cartridge.

phirehawk
11-18-10, 23:13
Exactly. People are running around thinking the sky is falling (but I guess they're getting some exercise ;) ).

A shotgun is designed (by ATF definition) to be fired from the shoulder....aka it's a long gun.

A pistol gripped (no stock) shotgun ISN'T designed to be fired from the shoulder. It's a standard Title 1 firearm but isn't a 'shotgun'. On the 4473 you must be 21yrs old to buy a pistol gripped only shotgun, if it has a stock you must be least 18yrs old. It isn't a destructive device because 12ga is a normal sporting cartridge.

Correct, it goes in the "other firearm" category. Similar to a stripped lower. When you fill out the 4473, check underneath your signature on the second page. The clerk has three choices for your gun purchase: handgun, long gun and essentially, other. 21 for PG shotty, 18 for long gun.