PDA

View Full Version : AR Game Rules

gr7070
11-16-10, 16:33
I'll be buying an AR largely for use in shooting games. What are the most prevalent shooting rules governing AR sports?

For example I know IDPA, Steel Challenge, and USPSA are probably the three most common handgun governing bodies. Who are the most common governing bodies for 3-gun matches or carbine matches, etc?

I just want to make sure that whatever gun and it's equipment I buy are most likley to be legal for the prevalent AR games.

Another handgun example: I'd hate to paint myself into a corner requiring moon clips, because I bought 625, when I'd much prefer to use speedloaders and I therefore should have bought a 686.

Any additional comments, things to look into, be concerned with, etc. would be appreciated!

Stik
11-16-10, 17:04
Well, most 3 gun or tactical matches use "outlaw" rules, which are a combination of USPSA/IDPA, etc and common sense (in some cases). If it is a USPSA sanctioned 3 gun match, it will of course run by USPSA rules and scoring. Most rules deal with optics and compensator size and caliber.

Tactical Irons- Iron sights only, except this years Fort Benning Challenge will allow non-magnified optics to be used in the tac-iron division. Only one optic on the rifle. Compensator/muzzle brake limited to 1" diameter by 3" length

Tactical optics- variable power scope (usually a 1-4) or a dot with a magnifier. Compensator/muzzle brake limited to 1" diameter by 3" length

Open- Multiple optics (scope and offset red dot), bipods, run what ya brung, etc. No limit in Comp size.

Then you have HeMan or heavy metal, which is .308, 20 rd mag capacity. In 3 gun, you must also shoot a .45 singlestack and 12ga pump.

Scoring is differnet at each match with some using USPSA scoring, some using 2 hits on paper anywhere defeats target, etc..
This is by no means all inclusive but will give you an idea to get started.