PDA

View Full Version : static line

bkb0000
11-16-10, 19:19
my current length of static line is pretty ate up.. time to buy a new length.. probably a couple length. lookin to get at least one length of 150, possibly a shorter 80.. or, if i can find a good deal, two 150s and cut one in half.

as to my use/needs- mostly field rappelling/climbing too-steep-to-walk inclines in sub-alpine conditions.. as a vehicle for travel. 10 or 11mm, or any integer between, for equipment compatibility.. i think most of my devices (grigris, ascender, shunt, etc) will go down to 8ishmm, but if nothing else, fatter lasts longer.

i don't want to drop $250+ per line.. i'm also not having much luck finding a selection of static line available locally. everything around here is dynamic- and most of these guys' experience with rappelling is only as it relates to sport climbing. i know there's less expensive options, especially for static-only- but i don't want to buy sight-unseen Blackhawk! bullshit off the internet with no feedback.. what inexpensive lines, those of you who actually rappel/mountaineer, have you had good results with?

i've been looking at bluewater static "assaultline" in 150' lengths.. it's cheap, but it's everywhere, so i assume it must have some following.. anybody used it in the field?

Jim D
11-18-10, 07:48
Sterling Rope makes a very wide variety of static lines, they do everything from dynamic double dry half ropes, to 12mm static rescue lines.

I have a few of their static lines, and they've held up well for me. I mostly use them for anchor lines (not descending). The only time I rap is after a climb, so I'm on my lead lines then.

http://www.sterlingrope.com/category/155014/Static_Ropes

I used to know one of the chief guys at Sterling, so I'm a little biast...but they do make some great products.

edit: Also, try calling them up directly. They often have odd lengths left off of their spools in the factory. They might be willing to sell you some. I think I got a 75m 11mm static rope that way.

rat31465
11-18-10, 09:10
If your not stuck specifically on a Kern Mantle construction...look into buying a Military surplus rope. Mine is a laid construction 11mm 120' in Olive Drab bought from the local Army Surplus store a couple of years ago for $79.99. And yes it is a static line.

After checking the links I ran across this one...150' for $99.95
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=38196

bkb0000
11-18-10, 15:34
thanks for the info, gentlemen.. i actually landed a couple pretty good contracts this week that have me not feeling like such a cheapskate.. i'm ordering some stuff through a local guy who seems to know his shit. i've been looking for a particular kind of shunt for a while, and he was the first guy who not only knew what the hell i was talking about and knew something about it, but actually had it in stock. i think i'm in good hands.

"Climb Max" is the name of the place, and their in-stock inventory is ****in awesome, for any local M4Cers who're looking for climbing/ropes gear.

i found this.... article? i guess you'd call it.... this morning, and figured i'd put it up for sake of anyone interested. lots of good, really basic info on ropes and ropework.
http://www.lifeonaline.com/sample/chapter.pdf