PDA

View Full Version : South Central KY?

luke2-2008
11-16-10, 19:57
Is anyone from South Central KY? :confused:

Whootsinator
11-16-10, 19:59
Not South-Central, but us Kentuckians are around! ;)

Northern KY, myself.

earlco
11-27-10, 22:16
How about Louisville?

GaryXD
11-28-10, 09:29
Bowling Green

meausoc
11-28-10, 11:35
Yes, Louisville/Jeffersontown. I am sick of shooting at Knob Creek with the new range Nazi out there.

luke2-2008
11-28-10, 13:11
What's the deal with knob creek? I have been there a few times but it been a while.

Appalachian
11-30-10, 09:49
KCR is one of the only outdoor options somewhat close to the area (Lville Metro/ east side) that I am aware of. If any of you know other places please chime in.

galaxie500
11-30-10, 20:43
I'm in the Elizabethtown area. +1 on the Range Nazi at Knob Creek. I really wish there was another outdoor range in the area.

Bobert0989
12-05-10, 04:36
I'm in Richmond... only outdoor range around here is the Wildlife Reserve down off 421 South (towards Sand Gap, Jackson County), and it is NOT very accomodating for anything other than scoped weapons (must fire through tube-traps for sound reduction purposes)... most people with handguns fire over the fence downrange, which isn't extremely safe for the others, as you must close-off the traps before entering the range area.

However, there is one commonly unknown indoor range just outside of Richmond, in a gentleman's barn. There is also Bud's new indoor range in Lexington. There's some good guys at Bud's Police Supply in Lexington. Greg (now at Buds) owned the only decent gun shop here in Richmond before going up there...

We need a place for distance shooting around here though. Where can I go to learn 500+ yard shooting?

Army Chief
12-05-10, 10:07
Another Elizabethtown guy here. I shoot on Fort Knox (French Shooting Club) for the most part. I've been out to KCGR many times, of course, but only shoot there when we're with Joe (Superior Firearms (http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com)) running a class of some sort on the lower range. The public area next to the store doesn't usually look like a very enjoyable place to be, quite frankly, though I suppose I could be wrong about that.

I believe the Fort Knox range (http://www.knoxmwr.com/centerRecreationbrLeisurecenter/FrenchShootingClub/tabid/124/Default.aspx) is open to the public, but if you're not military, you'll have to jump through a few hoops (background check and an MWR card) to use the facility. You definitely don't want to bring weapons onto the post until you've met those requirements, but it's a decent place to go, run without a lot of drama, and usually not too crowded.

AC

KentuckyWindage
12-23-10, 05:07
Danville checking in...

Bobert0989
12-23-10, 05:16
Another Elizabethtown guy here. I shoot on Fort Knox (French Shooting Club) for the most part. I've been out to KCGR many times, of course, but only shoot there when we're with Joe (Superior Firearms (http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com)) running a class of some sort on the lower range. The public area next to the store doesn't usually look like a very enjoyable place to be, quite frankly, though I suppose I could be wrong about that.

I believe the Fort Knox range (http://www.knoxmwr.com/centerRecreationbrLeisurecenter/FrenchShootingClub/tabid/124/Default.aspx) is open to the public, but if you're not military, you'll have to jump through a few hoops (background check and an MWR card) to use the facility. You definitely don't want to bring weapons onto the post until you've met those requirements, but it's a decent place to go, run without a lot of drama, and usually not too crowded.

AC

How do I go about getting access to that range? My Mom is head of the CCDW dept in KY, and thus I have been invited to shoot with the KSP on occasion at the Boonesboro Range, but that is only on "open-shoot" type days, usually once maybe twice a year... as that range is owned/maintained by the state and kept private for the most part... a lot of people don't even know it exists...lol

Army Chief
12-23-10, 08:27
How do I go about getting access to that range?

Follow the link I provided for a basic overview and contact information. You'll likely need to speak with club management directly to answer all of your questions, but they seem to be going out of their way to address this "open to the public" component, so I'm sure they will be able to get you all sorted out.

AC

Costellow
12-19-11, 22:22
I know this is an old thread, but wasn't sure where to do an intro... Bowling green here.

ZombielandMayor
02-19-12, 10:19
I'm in Richmond... only outdoor range around here is the Wildlife Reserve down off 421 South (towards Sand Gap, Jackson County), and it is NOT very accomodating for anything other than scoped weapons (must fire through tube-traps for sound reduction purposes)... most people with handguns fire over the fence downrange, which isn't extremely safe for the others, as you must close-off the traps before entering the range area.

However, there is one commonly unknown indoor range just outside of Richmond, in a gentleman's barn. There is also Bud's new indoor range in Lexington. There's some good guys at Bud's Police Supply in Lexington. Greg (now at Buds) owned the only decent gun shop here in Richmond before going up there...

We need a place for distance shooting around here though. Where can I go to learn 500+ yard shooting?

Another Richmond member checking in. When I went to EKU, Greg's shop was a great place to purchase guns and ammo. I had to leave for military reasons and when I came back on leave it sucked to see the store gone. However, it's good to hear that he's still around.

I never really was a fan of the outdoor range down on 421 (but it was the only thing around that I knew of), I would always kick up the stuff in the tubes when I shot. Definite need for eye pro. I should be coming back to the Richmond/Central KY area soon and would also like to know if there's somewhere to shoot 200yds+.