PDA

View Full Version : The season is almost over, lets discuss your favorite match and why?

Cold
11-17-10, 00:05
So the 2010 competitive shooting season is almost over.

I thought we might get a bit more discussion going here with this question, what is your favorite match you shot in 2010 and why.

For me I would break it down this way

Favorite single gun match:

(rifle): Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship 2010 in Hoover, Alabama. Dave Tapp, Stefan Wiggins and Randall Webb put on a fantastic championship rifle match, recognizing irons, optics, heavy irons, and heavy optics divisions. Great stages that are worthy of being called "championship level quality, a scoring system that is efficient and easy to work with, plus a great prize table and low entry fee. Its no wonder the match fills up fast. In my opinion, it is a match not to miss if you live in the Southeastern United States.

(shotgun): This was a toss up for me as this year I participated in two shotgun events, the Pan American Shotgun Championship (Park City, KY) and the High Plains Shotgun Challenge (Okc, OK). In all honesty, it was a lot of fun to meet and shoot against foreign competition over 4 days and 30 stages of shotgun at the Pan American. I personally thought the stages at the High Plains Shotgun Challenge were more interesting from a traditional USA 3 Gunner's standpoint. The Pan American was an IPSC shotgun match and adhered to a different structure than most 3 gunners are used to. Both matches were a blast and I am glad I was able to participate in each one. Unfortunately, The Pan American Shotgun Championship does not occur each year so, however the HPSC will be back for 2011 in a slightly different form. It gets my vote as a not to miss match, for 2011 if your in the Central part of the United States. Note, it looks like the match is going to be dubbed the "High Plains Rifle Challenge" and will feature rifles not shotguns for 2011. regardless, it is a not to be missed event if you live in that part of the USA. The HPSC stages are designed by Trapr Swonson and Kurt Miller and are always fun yet challenging.

Favorite Multi Gun/3 Gun match:
This is an even tougher decision, I have shot quite a few multi gun/3 gun events this season however I was not able to attended many of the matches out west (RM3G, SMM3G, Ironman) so this is just one mans opinion on the matches he did attend. The Ozark 3 Gun Championship right outside Osage Beach, MO is one of my favorites. Chad Francis, Kirk Broyles, and the rest of the Adams Arms guys hosted and put on another solid match. Some great stages and a great prize table. USPSA Multi Gun nationals was also a great match, the stages were very very well done this year and I am confident they will be just as good if not better next year. Desert Sportsman did a great job as a host range outside of Las Vegas, NV too.

My overall favorite match of 2010:

Without a doubt goes to Dean DeTurk who put on the TAPS 3 Man 3 Gun event in Topton, Pa. This match was very interesting as it was the first one of its kind I ever participated in. It consists of 3 man teams and the stages might involve rifle, pistol, shotgun, 3 rifles or some combination thereof. Shooters might shoot in a relay format or in a "rolling thunder" where all 3 shooters shoot at the same time on the clock. The cost of entry to the match for 2010 was very low (60 dollars per shoot or 180 per team) and the match featured 7 quality stages designed by Dean and they were very very fun. The match is already scheduled for 2011 and I heard its filling up fast. If your in the Northeastern, USA I strongly urge you to grab 2 buddies and sign up for this event. Its is by far and away the most fun you will have at a shooting event and you have a team of buddies to shoot with you. What could be better? There is always the fact that Dean put together a nice prize table and everyone walked away with something nice.

2nd Annual 3 Man 3 Gun Team Event scheduled for June 19, 2011

http://www.toptonfga.org/IPSC/2011_3m3g.html

Im curious to hear what your favorite match was for this year, don't be shy!

rob_s
11-17-10, 03:58
I've been moving from IDPA into USPSA more and more (more due to local and personal issues than anything to do with the types of matches themselves). I am nowhere near competitive, and that isn't my goal, but I like to get trigger time.

I really, really enjoyed the Monster Match held at Frank Garcia's Universal Shooting Academy. The stages were great, the ROs were very professional, and there were a lot of good shooters there to watch and learn from. Having shot various IDPA state matches over the years the Monster Match was on par with the very best run of those matches. Absolutely seamless, even when I shot out one of the sticks holding up a prop they had it back up and running almost immediately. :sarcastic:

glockshooter
11-21-10, 09:23
Even though the weather ruined it I was having a blast at BRM3G. This match has made a lot of other matches step up their game. Which of course has benefitted all of us. I also have to say that NC Recon is a great match. It is basically a trooper class match for everyone shooting. It is definately a test of your determination.

Matt

uscbigdawg
11-21-10, 22:05
This year...Louisiana Gator Classic. Phenomenal stages and a ridiculously huge prize table! Most of all, the BEST white beans and Jambalaya that you will EVER have...and it's part of your match fee!

Rich

7 RING
11-27-10, 11:30
Mauser match at my local gun club. You fire 20 rounds in 20 minutes, 10 rounds each at a SR-1 target at 50 meters from the standing position. They give handicaps to newer shooters so the same 3 or 4 people don't win every match. I shoot a Yugo 24/47 rifle with high recoil, high muzzle blast, corrosive surplus 8mm ammunition. No BS, no attitudes and anyone can afford to shoot. We usually have a bigger turn out than the CMP matches or bullseye matches.

hozer
11-28-10, 12:21
My favorite match this year was the Steel Safari. Had I known the side match would have been a tie-breaker for the main match, I would have paid more attention. I thought it was just for bragging rights. http://demigodllc.com/articles/steel-safari-2010/

I was going to make the RM3G in Raton, but Uncle Sam had other plans for me.

Robb Jensen
11-28-10, 12:30
My favorite this year was Deans 3man/3gun. This type of format as mentioned is really fun. The mad-moment/rolling thunder is really fun since most of the time the shotgun shooter can help the rifle or pistol shooter on steel. It's also very fun as you can use strategy to your teams advantage, example: One stage might have 2 pistol shooters and a shotgun shooter. Obviously you'll want your two strongest pistol shooters on the pistols.
We (Virginia Arms Shooting Team) came in 3rd this year at the Topton match.
We each won a Lancer L15 lower from the prize table. Last year we were 1st place at the York PA 3man/3gun, we didn't make it there this year. Dean hosts some great matches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3man%203gun/TeamVAArms.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3man%203gun/robbkneeling.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3man%203gun/Robbpistol4.jpg

My 2nd most fun match was the Quantico 3gun match hosted by the USMC Combat Shooting Team. There the competitors shot all 3 guns (rifle, shotgun, pistol) and stage guns which included a FN FAL, EMR (accurized M14), M40A3 and a full auto AK-47. I placed 1st civilian (& 2nd overall) at this match. This match was free of charge and free ammo if you shot their (USMC owned) guns (Benelli M4s, Beretta M9s, and Colt M4s or FN M16A4s).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Quantico3gun2010/robbM40A3closeup.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Quantico3gun2010/robbEMR.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Quantico3gun2010/robbFAL.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Quantico3gun2010/robbak.jpg

kelly neal
12-03-10, 13:02
My favorite 3 gun match was Blue Ridge even though it collapsed. Why? It is the most physical, challenging and ambitious (probably overly ambitious) 3 gun match out there. It also had a good set of standards, something lacking in nearly any other 3 gun match.

Close 2nd, Rocky Mountain which is also a challenging match and held in just about the prettiest locale: the Whittington Center (even though I disagree with some of the rules such as disallowing mags being clamped together as supporting devices).

Cold
12-13-10, 18:05
I hope to shoot RM3G this year. I've heard it has tones of BRM3G.

I had not shot FB3G when I initially posted this topic, but I should add that it was a great match and the stages were in my opinion, with even better stages this year. The shoot house with slugs was a great idea. I hope to see that again.

Jesse Tischauser
01-02-11, 00:55
The narural terrain at the Ozark match was badass which makes it my favorite.

hozer
01-03-11, 14:30
Close 2nd, Rocky Mountain which is also a challenging match and held in just about the prettiest locale: the Whittington Center (even though I disagree with some of the rules such as disallowing mags being clamped together as supporting devices).

JJ has some strange ideas about making Tactical different from Open. Sometimes change for the sake of change is not a good thing.

The RM3G "flavor" is lots of rifle shooting. Shooting a rifle like a rifle.

That said, JJ puts on a pretty good match.

glocktogo
01-03-11, 17:08
I've been moving from IDPA into USPSA more and more (more due to local and personal issues than anything to do with the types of matches themselves). I am nowhere near competitive, and that isn't my goal, but I like to get trigger time.

I really, really enjoyed the Monster Match held at Frank Garcia's Universal Shooting Academy. The stages were great, the ROs were very professional, and there were a lot of good shooters there to watch and learn from. Having shot various IDPA state matches over the years the Monster Match was on par with the very best run of those matches. Absolutely seamless, even when I shot out one of the sticks holding up a prop they had it back up and running almost immediately. :sarcastic:

Rob,

It looks like my buddy and I will be running the inagural IDPA World Shoot at Frank's range this September. How are the facilities? We're thinking about coming to Florida State in March and taking a trip over there to check things out.

On topic, my favorite match of 2010 was the IDPA Nationals. Of course I might be a bit biased, since I designed half of the stages! :D

Norone
01-04-11, 04:56
My favorite was the USMC Multi-gun.
It was free and one could use their ammo and gear if needed. I needed a auto shotgun, used one of there's, and even took the stage.

Looking forward to the Ironman this year to add.

coyote44
01-07-11, 09:50
My favorite match of this year was the local match I shot in July. It was the first match that I had ever shot (it's always nerve racking to try something for the first time). I learned a lot and have since shot 2 more matches, but that first one was the biggest this year for me. Hopefully in the future I can post about some about bigger matches that I have attended.

Supermoto
01-07-11, 15:37
I liked the Topton Rifle and shotgun matches. Both were well run and had good stages. But my favorite was a local rifle match. 5 hoser stages. Sometime its just fun to hose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJvk7D_q7zA

Nevermiss
01-08-11, 12:16
Cold, I wish I could shoot as much as you, but work and two little girls at home, it's hard to get away.

I shot BRM3G and FB3G and it would be hard to say I enjoyed one more than the other. However, it sure was nice having our active military paste targets and reset steel for us. I'd willingly pay to have someone do this at every match I shoot!

I've heard good things about Ozark match and I was planning to shoot there next year, but my annual meeting/flyfishing trip at the Teton Valley Lodge (one of the best places I have ever fished) http://tetonvalleylodge.com/ and my bowhunting trip for Elk are at the same time.

Even if I did have two friends, the Topton matchs falls on Father's Day and my 18th Anniversary. Maybe next year:laugh:

I have too much going on to every become a decent 3 Gun competitor and I'll probably continue to be a middle of the pack competitor, but I sure have fun!