PDA

View Full Version : Tru Glo TFO sight mod for hard use durability

glen
11-17-10, 02:30
I like the concept of the Tru Glo TFO sights and am aware of the problems people have been having with the front fiber optic tube falling off.

Since the fiber optic tube is not designed to be replaceable by design I was thinking of filling the opening on top with clear epoxy. This would probably address the issue of the fiber optic tube falling off or breaking and keep the fiber optic tube from deteriorating as the epoxy would shield it from the elements. Being clear, it would still allow the fiber optic tube to gather light and glow.

I got this idea from a DIY article on putting clear windows on non-windowed Pmags. I was thinking of using the same Devcon clear epoxy.

Since this seems to be the main reliability issue on these sights maybe this idea could make it feasible for hard use?

mark5pt56
11-17-10, 04:54
Give it a try, not out anything if it doesn't work as it wil fall out anyhow some time soon.

gtmtnbiker98
11-17-10, 07:12
Junk, junk, junk, did I say they are junk? I tried two sets and both lasted a mere 3-4 months before the front sight broke. I used these sights on a G17 and a G34. If you use the pistol and actually train with them, IMO, they won't hold up. Simply drawing from the holster and other handgun manipulations are too much for the sights to handle.

Glaring concept, poor implementation.

glen
11-17-10, 08:19
No dispute from me that as-is they will, more likely than not, fail.

But it is truly a great concept that I just could not pass up trying to make work despite all the negative experiences with these sights.

Reading up on these it seems that the main mode of failure is the fiber optics falling off and if the epoxy keeps them in place and keep them from deteriorating it could be the solution.

Of course better minds than me congregate here so I am just throwing the idea out and maybe someone might have tried it already or know a reason why this won't work.

I'm currently researching on adhesives and epoxies because I have come across comments that certain kinds can weaken the FO.

Any experience, observations, or violent reactions are welcome. :D

Paul45
11-17-10, 10:04
I have 5 different sets on my game guns. Both the front and rear tubes have come out. The company has repaced them no charge, no hassle but if you find something that will seal the tubes in, let us know. I look the sight picture and the ability to use them in all light conditions but I am afraid to use them on any of my carry guns.
The sights still work without the tubes and the night glow is still there but the bight dots are missing. They are usable but distracting.

glen
11-17-10, 18:27
That's what I hope to find, Paul.

I've been doing some research on-line on what adhesives to use as I've read that some adhesives can weaken the fiber optic tubes.

Looking for epoxies that are clear enough to let the fiber optic tubes do their job while also not being harmful to them.

There are special adhesives and epoxies used to bind sections of fiber optics together and to even optically-clear epoxies that are used to encapsulate LED's and fiber optics for industrial use. Looking into those, am hoping they are available in small quantities and not too expensive.

KellyTTE
11-17-10, 18:48
Sunday as I was shooting the Paul's standards for time (normal in a class to prove that every thing is attainable), I was failing miserably. I chalked it up to being sick lately, although I'd shot really well the week before.

When we went to shoot the barricade module later, I was missing the steel at 20yds, which surprised me. A senior student started saying 'left, left, left', so I REALLY slowed down and took 3 shots, all of which missed. I held a foot right and then started ringing the steel 100%.

After unloading and showing clear I examined the sights and found that the front (which I had loc-tite'd in place) was flopping around. I reinstalled it, this time loc-tit'ing the threads AND a good dab of JB Weld underneath. I don't have these on a serious use gun, but the failure was disturbing.

ETA:

MOTHER F**K. These things aren't even a year old and I just looked and noticed that the front didn't seem very bright. Took it into a dark bathroom and sure enough, being shot while loose has killed the front tritium vial. These things suck.

glen
11-17-10, 21:14
Sunday as I was shooting the Paul's standards for time (normal in a class to prove that every thing is attainable), I was failing miserably. I chalked it up to being sick lately, although I'd shot really well the week before.

When we went to shoot the barricade module later, I was missing the steel at 20yds, which surprised me. A senior student started saying 'left, left, left', so I REALLY slowed down and took 3 shots, all of which missed. I held a foot right and then started ringing the steel 100%.

After unloading and showing clear I examined the sights and found that the front (which I had loc-tite'd in place) was flopping around. I reinstalled it, this time loc-tit'ing the threads AND a good dab of JB Weld underneath. I don't have these on a serious use gun, but the failure was disturbing.

ETA:

MOTHER F**K. These things aren't even a year old and I just looked and noticed that the front didn't seem very bright. Took it into a dark bathroom and sure enough, being shot while loose has killed the front tritium vial. These things suck.

Sorry to hear that Kelly, thanks for sharing, that's one more thing to look out for in this project. Will be checking my own front sight now.

To those who are following, I just got off the phone with a company that makes clear resins for the electronics industry. They have what seems to be the right product for this experiment, a 2-part epoxy resin that is liquid while uncured, dries optically clear, has the right refraction index to allow the fiber optics to gather light, and compatible with the fiber optic tube material. Reasonably water proof and heat resistant too, as these are used on traffic light LEDs I believe. Pending another conversation with their R&D I may be able to get a sample to try out.

jh9
11-18-10, 05:24
We think alike. :D I toyed with exactly the same idea. Until reading KellyTTE's post, I'd never heard of any failure in detail that wasn't just the fiber optic rod coming loose. However, I never got around to it since I couldn't find the sights available in anything but a complete set (didn't want the rear). I think Speed Shooter Specialties now has the front sight only for a reasonable price, so it might be worthwhile to revisit the idea... But this is what eventually but the kabosh on the whole thing for me:

Unless you're outside with a lot of ambient light, you don't get much glow without a lot of exposed fiber. The HiViz units I have on my competition guns use an enclosed rod for durability. This has some effect on how bright they are. The TFOs look like they only have a slit on the top for daytime glow. Even with clear epoxy, you're probably going to get substandard brightness once you begin putting anything there. In bright daylight, you may still get a decent amount of brightness, but anywhere without a lot of ambient (or direct overhead light in the case of the TFO) is probably going to produce a dim glow at best. Probably not much better than bright paint. At night, I can't imagine that they would be any better than any other tritium sight.

With that in mind, I just ordered one of these (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL212ORC%20copy.jpg) with the idea that in anything but a bright, sunshiny day outside, the orange paint will be just as visible as a heavily shielded fiber-optic rod. The tritium should be more or less the same as anything else.

jh9
11-18-10, 05:26
To those who are following, I just got off the phone with a company that makes clear resins for the electronics industry. They have what seems to be the right product for this experiment, a 2-part epoxy resin that is liquid while uncured, dries optically clear, has the right refraction index to allow the fiber optics to gather light, and compatible with the fiber optic tube material. Reasonably water proof and heat resistant too, as these are used on traffic light LEDs I believe. Pending another conversation with their R&D I may be able to get a sample to try out.

Good luck. If you're going whole hog on this, you might consider opening the sides of the post to allow more ambient light to reach the fiber-optic rod.

5pins
11-18-10, 11:50
I have the Hiviz fiber front on my S&W 629 mountain gun. The fiber tube is enclosed is a clear epoxy and seems to work well. I can’t compare it with sights without an epoxy covering because I have never used one but I think your idea has merit.

glen
11-18-10, 12:22
jh9, great minds think alike? :p

I too have not come across complaints besides fiber optic tubes falling off. Thanks to KellyTTE's shared experience I'll be looking at the front sight mounting carefully.

I have considered that the glow will be reduced with epoxy in place. But I am willing to trade some glow for more durability. I am satisfied with the glow from just the top openings and accept I may lose a bit more with epoxy in place. As long as the glow is noticeably above ambient light, I'll be content. I don't plan to open the sides as I may hit the non-removable fiber optics in the process. I am even planning to experiment with reducing the exposed rear fiber optic by painting a portion of the epoxy cover to make the front more prominent. Dim/night glow would remain unaffected as this is when the tritium takes over.

glen
11-18-10, 12:35
5pins, thanks for chiming in with that, this is the first I heard of fiber optics being encapsulated in a clear resin/epoxy...from the factory none the less!

I found some clear epoxy which was rated for plastic at the hardware store and bought some to mix at home to see how it would look.

Mixing caused a lot of bubbles to form in the mixture and when the epoxy dried the bubbles remained inside, clouding the mixture.