PDA

View Full Version : review of all buis systems is needed

cz7
08-05-07, 12:20
i would like a review of all buis systems -pro and con on all like a sticky note posting for people can out the best for their use i.e. like on the arms #40L strengths and weakness /pro and cons

Pat_Rogers
08-05-07, 12:59
I'd like to have a blonde haired, blue eyed nymphomaniac whose father owns an ammunition factory.

What's your point??:rolleyes:

Are you volunteering to do it? Will you fund the time and money for people to do it?

Or are you asking a question?? If you are, you need to maybe reconsider how you are writing it...

KevinB
08-05-07, 13:07
What Pat said...

The problem with doing such is that the he said, she said bit gets invovled and most peoples needs (or wants, quirks and desires) are different.

I prefer the TROY rear shorter carbines and the KAC 600m for longer guns. (I want to standardzies with KAC's BISII but they have not released it yet...)

I've had bad luck in Afghan with the ARMS#40 series clogging with dust - and I am not alone... And I used a LMT rear with no issues -- but I find it is extra bulk and size for my needs -- if I wear swimming around and hanging off ships in the salt ocean spray I might have a different opinion...

cz7
08-05-07, 13:15
thxs KevinB for that insight need more from others like this one . thxs

Pat_Rogers
08-05-07, 13:25
Oh, you were asking a qustion?:D
Gee, it sounded more like a command........
Now, if i had known that it was a question. i would have answered, but since you didn't repond....;)

Don Robison
08-05-07, 14:35
I'd like to have a blonde haired, blue eyed nymphomaniac whose father owns an ammunition factory.

If she has a brunette sister PM me please:D

rob_s
08-05-07, 14:35
BUIS are awefully subjective and what works for one may or may not work for someone else.

I like Troy flipup front and rear on guns with magnified optics because they lock in the up position and the hooded front mates nicely with the rear aperature.

I like the stock FSB and a cut-down carry handle rear on guns with 1x magnified optics (Aimpoint, e.g.) because they are very fast and simple to acquire if they are needed and/or to confirm zero.

Pat_Rogers
08-05-07, 15:22

When i find her among all of the chaos, i will!

Ron Flowers
08-05-07, 16:22

What's your point??:rolleyes:

Are you volunteering to do it? Will you fund the time and money for people to do it?

Or are you asking a question?? If you are, you need to maybe reconsider how you are writing it...

Pat....Being just over the half-century mark....and thinking that the nympho woul dkill me trying to keep up...nonetheless, I second that! :)

Pat_Rogers
08-05-07, 16:30
Hey, it's my goal to keep good people smiling:p

AR15barrels
08-05-07, 23:02

I call dibs on the red-headed sister.
I'm still young enough that I can handle her.

C4IGrant
08-06-07, 13:31

Yeah, no chit! In fact, I will take the fat, ugly sister just so I can get ammo!

C4

sparrow
08-08-07, 22:02
What's a BUIS? Someone far wiser( and with actual operational time) than I said that irons are your primary sighting system and it is in fact my Aimpoint that is the secondary sighting system...it put a whole new slant on things and I check the zero on the LMT every time I go out now...OT I know but less so than the Nympho ammo heiress:D

Paulinski
08-08-07, 22:23
You guys are such ammo fiends;) the entire thing about the sisters is an excuse to get excessive amounts of free ammo.

I'll take 75k of MK262 please. :D

Mark LaRue
08-12-07, 20:44
Being just over the half-century mark....

Jeeminy, I just realized that I resemble that remark.

And I am an optimist, but for the life of me, I cannot decide if I am half-alive ... or half dead ?

:confused:

wild_wild_wes
08-12-07, 21:50
50 is the new 30, don't you know...

But we are doing nothing to help the nice man with his BUIS question.

So:

For a flip-up rear I use the new PRI unit: sturdy, dual apertures for ranging, lighting conditions.

For rear fixed I use the LaRue: simple, sturdy, just the basics (no 600m range "target shooting" dial)

For front BUIS I use the PRI flip front/gas block. (If you want any degree of accuracy your front BUIS should clamp to the barrel. Handguard mounted front BUIS are subject to aiming errors due to handguard flex {but are okay for EBUIS [EMERGENCY BUIS] use})

sns3guppy
08-18-07, 03:20
Seems clear to me the original poster merely wanted a thread with input from posters detailing their thoughts on the various "backup" sights.

For my two cents worth, I don't consider the sights a backup. Sights are sights, but "iron" sights are every bit as valueable as other optics. Perhaps more so, because at a minimum, barring catastrauphic damage to the weapon, the iron sights are the ones that should always be there for you.

I like fixed sights. I don't like flip-up sights. Those using magified optics, and optics that extend over the iron sights, do need collapsable sights. But for a dirt simple flat-top weapon with a simple optic like an EoTech or Aimpoint, then a fixed front tower is preferable to me, and I like a fixed rear, too. An A1 style rear is more foolproof with less to get moved (and harder to move), but I like an A2 style rear sight.

I'm not going to argue with the experts out there, but I've been quite satisfied with a RRA Dominator mount carrying an EoTech. I have the original Dominator with only one slot for the optic. Torqued properly and safety wired, it won't go anywhere, is very solid, and the sight has worked very well for me. My only complaint, albeit a very minor one, is that it's harder to reach the buttons on the back of the optic.

For the sights themselves, I really like the X/S front sight. My front came with an illuminated same-plane rear. I don't have any need for the tritium on the rear, but the sight itself is fine. The front sight is possibly a little too bright at night, especially for anyone who might be behind me. But for daylight shooting, or low light shooting, the X/S front provides excellent contrast...I can always see the front sight blade. It sits in the factory front sight tower, and with the EoTech I always have the same cheek weld, same sight picture with the fixed sights or the optic, on or off. I believe consistency counts for a lot, and it works for me.

I tried the ARMS sights, but didn't care for them.

Alpha Sierra
08-18-07, 06:34
For my two cents worth, I don't consider the sights a backup. Sights are sights, but "iron" sights are every bit as valueable as other optics. Perhaps more so, because at a minimum, barring catastrauphic damage to the weapon, the iron sights are the ones that should always be there for you.

I like fixed sights. I don't like flip-up sights. Those using magified optics, and optics that extend over the iron sights, do need collapsable sights. But for a dirt simple flat-top weapon with a simple optic like an EoTech or Aimpoint, then a fixed front tower is preferable to me, and I like a fixed rear, too. An A1 style rear is more foolproof with less to get moved (and harder to move).

Same here.