PDA

View Full Version : Leupold VX-II vs Vortex Viper

royta
11-17-10, 10:36
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm at work posting this from my phone and wasn't too successful at finding previous posts covering this topic.

I'm setting up my rifle for coyote/predator hunting. I'm pulling off the eotech and putting on a 3-9 scope. Which is the better optic between the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and the Vortex Viper 3-9x40?

Thanks for the advice. Here's how my rifle is currently set up. https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=258409&postcount=1646

ccoker
11-17-10, 17:00
I think the viper has better glass
playing with a 2-7 with the circle plex reticle
think it would make a cool little AR scope

if you want to make that an ideal yote gun, get an Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot with a green dot
I have used one for a year on a 6.8 for hog and deer hunting (hogs at night)
my son fell in love with it so it is on his Sako 243 right now.. that little green dot makes it easy for him to use and he's hitting 1" at 100 yards, not bad for a 13 year old!

a little more money but you will be good to go

SkiDevil
11-18-10, 19:38
I'm setting up my rifle for coyote/predator hunting. I'm pulling off the eotech and putting on a 3-9 scope. Which is the better optic between the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and the Vortex Viper 3-9x40?

Thanks for the advice.[/url]

In regards to the Leupold 3X9, I can offer my experience and thoughts. I have no experience with any Vortex optics. However, thumbing through an older SWFA catalog it appears most of the optics offered are similar to the Leupold line.

The 3X9 provides an excellent range, because the lower magnifcation range is useful for running shots and the higher-end for those longer shots.

I have owned many Leupold scopes and believe that the Var II line would be more than adequate for shooting coyotes. They no longer catalog it but there used to be a 3X9 33mm compact scope in the line-up. I still own one that has been used on three different rifles and has held up extremely well. I dumped quite a few jack rabbits and coyotes with that scope mounted on a Ruger Mini-14. Reliable, easy to mount, and the overall length is only 11 inches making it fairly compact. I have noticed that many of the current 3X9 scopes are typically well over 12 inches long, including the Mark AR models.

Although, you didn't ask regarding other manufacturers, I would rate the middle Nikon Models comparable to the Leupold Variable II.

I would have to agree with CCoker that if it is within your budget, the Trijicon with the illuminated reticle could be very useful in low light situations. In the end, it depends on the distances you will be firing at and what type of terrain you are hunting in.

Most of my varmint hunting has been in low-lying desert areas with shots varying from 100-200 yards. With some farther shots in wide rivines or open fields as far as 300 yards.

I have NOT hunted with an RDS yet, but if your shots are less than 300 yards, I am of the opinion that you could use the Eotech with a magnifier at those distances on coyotes, but probably not anything smaller.

Reason being, I have been using an Aimpoint M2 with 4moa dot at 200 and 300 yards shooting and regularly hitting steel plates roughly 11" by 12" in size. So, hitting a larger coyote wouldn't be any more difficult. The one advantage greater magnification will provide you is in target identification. Such as when an animal, with a light skinned/ earth-toned color blends in with the surrounding foilage, in those circumstances, the extra magnification is of great use.

Best of luck,
SkiDevil