PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a new to you used 1911?

Rezarf2
11-17-10, 10:39
What would you consider doing to a new to you- used 1911? Especially with an unknown round count.

Besides shooting it and seeing what you dealing with would you do anything specific?

I am thinking of swapping out my recoil spring just to have a new baseline of when to change it, I also detail strip and clean and inspect everything, but I thought I would ask the interweb crowd and see if there is anything in particular you would do.

Thanks-

matemike
11-17-10, 11:08
Change the sights to something you like better.

And I've heard of a pencil trick...
First you ensure the gun is unloaded three times.
Cock the hammer, and put the eraser end of a new pencil in between the cocked hammer and the firing pin.
Pull the trigger.
The pencil should flip out and fly across the room.
If it gets caught, your hammer is too slow and the spring is worn out.

wilco423
11-17-10, 15:38
If the round count window is really wide (like somewhere between 500 and 25,000), might want to get it checked over by a good 1911 smith. At least, as you say, detail strip it and give it a thorough inspection and lube. Probably a good idea to replace all of the springs while you're at it.

Some manufacturers have a lifetime warranty if you find something wrong.

Some inspection resources:
www.m1911.org/InspectionChecklist.pdf
www.m1911.org/technic24.htm
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=4576

Also, lots of very knowledgeable folks at 1911forum.

Dan
(I am most definitely not an expert -- barely an amateur!)

BWT
11-17-10, 16:03
I'd replace the recoil spring, firing pin spring, function test all of the magazines (i.e., load and shoot them several times), the Main Spring... eh, I'd say test that (with the method already posted) and consider replacing it possibly if it isn't working well.

Beyond that, what kind of 1911 is it?

Model, Manufacturer, etc.

I might give the extractor a once over, see what kind of condition it's in.

Then I'd go shoot about 200-300 rounds through it (or however many you feel you need to, to trust the gun, some guys say a 1,000 rounds, some say 500, that's up to the individual, IMO, some guys I've seen won't trust a gun with less than, what was it? 5,000 rounds one reviewer said problem free rounds, then again he was shooting a Wilson IIRC. I think 500 is a solid number if you absolutely must test it out, but I'd be alright with 200-300, that's also for a defensive use pistol) and if it functions well, number the magazines if they don't have any malfunctions and don't worry about it.

If it's a defensive gun, I'd say run a few mags (again, whatever number you're comfortable with.) of whatever your defensive ammo is through it to function test the gun with them and the ammo you like.

I might replace the magazine springs as well, take the magazines apart and clean them, and of course, like some of the other guys suggested, I might detail strip it, see if anything looks out of place/broken.

Beyond that, I personally wouldn't be too worried about it after that.

ETA: As a side note, I'm by no means, any means, an expert, but that's what I would do personally. If you want to, take it to a gunsmith, but, I wouldn't unless the gun had some kind of malfunction or something to cause concern, but again, that's just me.

Chuck
11-17-10, 16:10
"Cock the hammer, and put the eraser end of a new pencil in between the cocked hammer and the firing pin.
Pull the trigger.
If it gets caught, your hammer is too slow and the spring is worn out."

What the heck? Is this just babble?

BWT
11-17-10, 17:05
"Cock the hammer, and put the eraser end of a new pencil in between the cocked hammer and the firing pin.
Pull the trigger.
If it gets caught, your hammer is too slow and the spring is worn out."

What the heck? Is this just babble?

He's suggesting function testing the Main Spring, just to see if the firing pin hits with enough power to throw out a pencil. (It works... but yeah, you could also shoot the gun when function testing it and see if you're getting light firing pin strikes on the primers.)

Chayse
11-18-10, 15:11
If you put the eraser end of a pencil between the hammer and the firing pin, the only thing that will happen is smashing the pencil with the hammer. You would need to put the pencil down the barrel eraser end first and let it rest over the firing pin hole. Then pull the trigger and see if it shoots out. I think this was a test for Series 80 lever adjustment. To make sure the firing pin block was out of the way so the pin can move.

Chuck
11-18-10, 15:16
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z228/pistolwrench19/2-86.jpg

:sarcastic:

Deoje
11-18-10, 22:00

That gun is obviously messed up beyond repair. It didn't throw the pencil at all..... You can send it to me for disposal. :laugh::laugh:

MarshallDodge
11-20-10, 10:45
Change the sights to something you like better.

And I've heard of a pencil trick...
First you ensure the gun is unloaded three times.
Cock the hammer, and put the eraser end of a new pencil in between the cocked hammer and the firing pin.
Pull the trigger.
If it gets caught, your hammer is too slow and the spring is worn out.
I am not sure what "pencil trick" you are talking about but I have heard of the pencil test and it is not done that way at all.

The way I have seen it done is to first make sure the gun is unloaded and that the hammer is cocked. With the gun pointed toward the ceiling, take a standard pencil with an eraser and place the eraser end down the barrel so that it is resting on the breachface over the firing pin hole. When you pull the trigger the pencil should get ejected from the barrel if the mainspring and other components are in good working order.

On my guns I just replace the mainspring every 3-5K rounds depending on the loads I shoot in it.

matemike
11-22-10, 02:03
Well Hell...woops:laugh:

quit wasting your pencils, evidently I have no clue what I'm talking about:(

put a bi-pod on it, and a scope...preferrably night vision...

Patrick604
11-22-10, 07:14
Replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring, possibly replace the mainspring if you are getting light primer strikes, run a couple hundred rounds through it to assess reliability and accuracy.

There are a couple of areas you might want to inspect closely for damage, based upon my personal experience. Check the firing pin stop. I have had these develop a crack at about the 7 o'clock position. Check the frame where the cut for the slide stop is located for a crack. Check your barrel bushing for cracks. Hopefully everything looks okay. :)

stifled
11-22-10, 08:01

How much of a discount are you willing to give on a broken 1911? :laugh: