PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 Glocks

DocH
11-17-10, 16:52
I've seen a couple of posts by folks who have said that Glock will continue with the manufacture of the 3rd Gen pistols.Has there been any confirmation of this that anyone is aware of,or can we look for them to fall by the wayside?

ChicagoTex
11-17-10, 18:30
For now, officially, there is no notice of 3rd gen discontinuation as far as I know.

However, it stands to reason that as the bugs get ironed out and the 4th gens get more T&E underneath them, the 3rd gens will be dropped.

DocH
11-17-10, 20:12
That's my thinking,too. I don't see them continuing the 3rd gens once the 4th generations become more proven. My 3 G19's are all 2nd generation,the 2 17's are 3rd. I need to pick up a 3rd gen.G19.
Thanks

JonInWA
11-18-10, 07:46
I suspect that until Glock manages to transition a significant proportion of their organizational clientele to the G4 (and that's a big "if" and not likely to happen for at least 10 years), the Gen 3 will remain in concurrent production with the Gen4.

So far, I see the biggest beneficiary, operationally speaking, for the Gen4 to be the .40 G22/G23, and probably the .357 SIG G31/G32; outside of the US, it's pretty much a 9mm kind of day, with the G17 predominating. As the Gen 3G17 (and G19) are pretty much considered to be the paradigm of a proven, durable, reliable and immensely fielded gun(s), I don't see organizations issuing the Gen 3 G17 perceiving a need to be queuing up to exchange them for a Gen4 G17, at least until towards the end of their forecasted lifespan.

The change of recoil spring asssembly in the Gen4 necesitating the different slide, along with the enlarged magazine release necessitating a different punch-out in the receiver are far more significant changes than the change from Gen 2 to Gen 3, which was more an aesthetic modification to the gun's skin than to it's operational components.

These changes significantly inhibit parts interchangability between generations-which I believe will constrain many organizations from obtaining a mix of gen 3 and Gen4 Glocks, fueling (if not necesssitating) the concurrent Gen 3/Gen4 production for many years.

Best, Jon

DocH
11-18-10, 08:12
What you suggest would certainly seem to make the most sense from a business perspective for Glock. Thanks.