PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Vs Govt Profile

bigkracka
11-17-10, 17:42
How many rounds moderate fire would you feel comfortable putting through a LW Vs Govt Profile AR before giving it a rest?

CHoffman
11-17-10, 18:33
For me in the past when I had one of each I would give them a rest when/if the POA/POI changed. There really wasn't too much of a difference in change on mine even after they got toasty but I hadn't ran them through any courses with a high round count or anything. The POI never changed as much as I thought it would on the lightweight. I could have passed it off as fatigue it was so minimal. One thing though the lightweight cooled off much quicker. Sorry I didn't give a hard number but that was back when I just went out with a bunch of ammo and just enjoyed shooting them. I may get another lightweight in the future just because they are such a joy to carry.

rattlesnake
11-18-10, 19:58
I have a bcm lightweight and gov't profile, both with ops-416s. I cannot tell much of a difference. I usually shoot 6 or 7 mags before giving it a rest, but poi doesn't change much with either. I imagine you can put them through much more abuse. Especially if you are shooting full auto. I've also done multiple mag dumps and then shot paper with little change to poi. I think the ops-416 actually puts more heat at the barrel as well so direct gas should be cooler at the barrel., I'm not sure though. If you are wondering because you are itching for a lightweight I say buy it, because the weight saving is great, also I reccomend getting the 14.5 bcm its a great little shooter.

Mark71
11-19-10, 01:30
While on the topic of the Lightweight vs Government profile, does the few ounces saved on the lightweight vs the Gov profile really make a noticeable difference in the way the gun feels and handles? I am looking to purchase either a DD or BCM 14.5" Mid-Length for general range use and classes and trying to decide which barrel to go with.

Thanks

rob_s
11-19-10, 05:24
Mark, for me it's not about how the gun handles as much as long-term fatigue over the course of a class or other long engagement. I just spent 3 days with a particularly front-heavy carbine so this is very fresh in my mind.

C4IGrant
11-19-10, 08:19
How many rounds moderate fire would you feel comfortable putting through a LW Vs Govt Profile AR before giving it a rest?

Doesn't matter.

For whatever reason, we have been seeing a lot of folks say or tell us that they don't want a LW barrel because it isn't as "durable." I have no idea why or where people are getting this.

The Military has been using pencil barrels for a VERY long time.

C4

C4IGrant
11-19-10, 08:20
While on the topic of the Lightweight vs Government profile, does the few ounces saved on the lightweight vs the Gov profile really make a noticeable difference in the way the gun feels and handles? I am looking to purchase either a DD or BCM 14.5" Mid-Length for general range use and classes and trying to decide which barrel to go with.

Thanks

Yes. Gun is less front heavy.

C4

ForTehNguyen
11-19-10, 08:34

Thanks

on a 16" middy upper LW saves about 6oz I believe over govt. Keep in mind this is 6oz at the end of the barrel. It is very noticeable.

Heavy Metal
11-19-10, 08:39
.gov profile barrels are light under tha handguards closest to the chember end. This is the same thickness as a lightweight barrel over 2/3's of the length.

The most heat-sensitive areas are the same. A .gov profile is a faux heavy barrel and would proabally give up the ghost at about the same number of rounds fired in a short peroid.

Plus, we all know what an M-16A1 is and that it was fully automatic.

bigkracka
11-26-10, 11:43
....does the few ounces saved on the lightweight vs the Gov profile really make a noticeable difference in the way the gun feels and handles? I am looking to purchase either a DD or BCM 14.5" Mid-Length for general range use and classes and trying to decide which barrel to go with.

Thanks
I had a BCM LW before and yes it does make a noticeable difference, I foolishly sold it to fund another project.

Mark, I was recently at the same crossroads and went with the DD LW from Smartgunner. The choice was pretty easy considering it was about $300 less, and DD's quality and CS is on par with BCM. Plus, I don't even see the option for a LW CHF 14.5" mid with 12" DD LITE rail at Bravo. I also never cared for how BCM uppers are sloppy on every lower. Ya I know it doesn't matter, personal preference.