PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on pencil barrels

Neeglik
08-02-06, 18:47
Thinking about hooking my wife's AR up with a 16" pencil barrel to keep the weight down. Any drawbacks to a carbine setup with one?

Steve
08-02-06, 20:06
No Expert here but i own two AR with the standard/lwt barrel as you say.

i have noticed it heats up a lot faster, i have had some stringing effects at 100yds and beyond after it heats up a bit under 100yds no worries. not enough to worry about in defensive roll or plinker i use my adco built model for a home defense gun.

Not_A_Llama
08-02-06, 20:26
I have the Model1Sales barrel. If I really yank on my sling, I can get noticeably off-target. I intend to fix that by going to a freefloat handguard soon. Other than that, no complaints.

It does heat up pretty quick, but it cools down quickly, too. I can usually put my gun away in the case by the time I get down from my shooting area; with an HBAR or M4, it's a few minutes of waiting. The fact that I have an extended rail keeps the fast heatup from being a big problem, since my skin is mostly shielded.

svtar15
08-03-06, 12:35
We sell tons of those barrels for that very reason. The light barrels are easy to heat, easy to cool, and the accuracy still holds up. We also sold a bunch to the Special Response Team in Kentucky in 14.5". They love 'em. I think you are on the right track for getting the weight down on that rifle. Let me know if I can help.

rob_s
08-03-06, 13:16
I only own .625 barrels and greatly prefer them after owning HBARs and M4 profiles.

USMC
08-03-06, 14:12
My sons AR has a 20" pencil barrel and the lighter weight makes it alot easier for him to hold it and shoot. I haven't noticed a differance at 50yds and maybe just a little at 100yds. My current build is for my wifes and it's going to have a pencil barrel also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/USMC/Complete/pencilbarrel.jpg

cheaptrick
08-03-06, 14:47
USMC
That's one squared away looking guy in that pic!!

USMC
08-03-06, 15:10
USMC
That's one squared away looking guy in that pic!!

Thank You!

Robb Jensen
08-03-06, 20:21
A pencil barrel is a very good choice. I used one on my wifes 3rd AR, her VERY light AR.

Colt SP1 upper, PWA lower, Colt half circle carrier w/CMT bolt, RRA CH, Colt 1/9 pencil bbl, Sully stock, Streamlight plastic rail w/M3 mounted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/f0eddba1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/dadba12c.jpg

variablebinary
08-08-06, 13:23
Thinking about hooking my wife's AR up with a 16" pencil barrel to keep the weight down. Any drawbacks to a carbine setup with one?

I like the pencil barrel. My Colt 6520 is currently my fav AR15. It's a joy to carry and shoot. 14.5" pencil barrel is pure bliss

Harv
08-08-06, 18:46
The only opinion I have on them is that the term "Pencil" Barrel is gay and should be replaced with the correct Nomenclature.."Barrel, Standard Profile, 5.56MM, 1ea."

It's like saying "Clip" vs "Magazine":p

Cyclic240B
08-08-06, 18:59
The only opinion I have on them is that the term "Pencil" Barrel is gay and should be replaced with the correct Nomenclature.."Barrel, Standard Profile, 5.56MM, 1ea."

It's like saying "Clip" vs "Magazine":p

lol! You sound like my old Company Supply Sergeant. :D

svtar15
08-09-06, 08:09
It's just slang. How about A1 profile... or lightweight barrel... or something like that. I get a lot more orders for "pencil barrels" then
"Barrel, Standard Profile, 5.56MM, 1ea."

Harv
08-09-06, 18:52
Proper use of terminology and correct nomenlature indicates a level of professionalism and knowledge. Allowing it's use just breds more uneducated "Bucketheads" oops... I mean uninitiated....;)

An educated firearms owner is a smart and safe owner........:D

svtar15
08-10-06, 00:32
I agree, but just because someone knows a lot of big words does not make them an "educated firearms owner."

CapnCrunch
08-10-06, 01:13
I like 'lightweight' barrels.

eklikewhoa
08-10-06, 07:36
i have a few "pencil" bbls. and they are really light!

the only thing i have notice about them is that they tend to heat up faster than thicker bbls. but then again they cool down faster too.

Harv
08-11-06, 05:54
From svtar-15

I agree, but just because someone knows a lot of big words does not make them an "educated firearms owner."

As do I, that's why I said it indicates a "level" of Knowledge...

As an individual, you need to decide and determine what level you would like to be at........;) Lots of shooters set their level on "Low" .....:D

svtar15
08-14-06, 14:31
Being an AR15 parts dealer, as well as the shop foreman, I deal with a lot of the "low" level people. A lot of them are beginners, and don't know the correct nomenclature. You have to be ready for all types of terminology when you deal with it every day.

yrac
08-14-06, 14:42
Gents - Let's keep this on track and stick to Neeglik's original question regarding pros/cons of this barrel profile. Thanks.

svtar15
08-14-06, 14:44
Yes sir. Sorry. Just making a point.

Submariner
08-14-06, 18:27
The only drawback I see is that my 16" Colt LW barrels (standard profile for Harv) will not take a bayonet, even those which have bayonet lugs.

TigerStripe
08-14-06, 22:24
I had an SP-1 carbine and it was light and handy. I sold it for chump change and wish I had it back...

TS