PDA

View Full Version : School officer forced to shoot student

DragonDoc
11-18-10, 02:51
It has been a rough week here in the Alamo city. A Northside ISD police officer was forced to shot a kid that he was pursuing. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/northside_isd_officer_involved_in_shooting_107586038.html?c=y&page=2#storytop

There has been some public uproar about the incident. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/northside_isd_officer_involved_in_shooting_107586038.html?c=y&viewAllComments=y )Some people are side with the officer while others are castigating him. I believe that the officer probably did the best that he could in a bad situation. It is a shame that the child died but he was a victim of his own actions.

Only preliminary information has been released but I'd like to know what you all think of the situation. Has anyone else had this happen in their community?

The other incident was a drug related shooting (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/man_shot_to_death_at_elementary_school_108660764.html ). The elementary school kids arrived for school just in time to see SAPD working the crime scene. Sucks that drug dealers would pick a school to do business in.

Ak44
11-18-10, 03:18
The actions of the young man caused the Officer to react...not gonna say it was the right thing or the wrong thing since I wasn't there. I'm sure there's more to the story and hopefully everything will come to light.

My personal opinion though is if you swat a beehive don't cry when you get stung.

DragonDoc
11-18-10, 08:19
The actions of the young man caused the Officer to react...not gonna say it was the right thing or the wrong thing since I wasn't there. I'm sure there's more to the story and hopefully everything will come to light.

My personal opinion though is if you swat a beehive don't cry when you get stung.

You won't believe how many people on local talk radio are demonizing the officer. I guess little Juan was a Saint and was going to the alternative school to serve as a positive role model for his peers. Chances are he could have got a citation for fighting at school if he had stayed put. The young man made a series of bad choices and they caught up with him unfortunately.

30 cal slut
11-18-10, 09:28
play stupid games.

win stupid prizes.

Littlelebowski
11-18-10, 10:05
I'll bet money the kid was trying to wrestle the firearm away from the cop. I sincerely doubt he would have shot the kid otherwise.

Skyyr
11-18-10, 10:33
From the info in the story, it was a good shoot.

5pins
11-18-10, 10:50
No doubt the friends and family of the “kid” will come out and talk about what a good kid he was despite a long history of problems in School and run-ins with the law.

Kentucky Cop
11-18-10, 11:51
http://www.lex18.com/news/investigation-underway-after-school-official-appears-to-punch-student-while-breaking-up-fight

This was recently hot news here in Lexington. Before the video began, the kid was striking the officer I believe while he was breaking up the fight. School board ruled him with the policy and guidelines set for this type of situation and he returned to full duty. Several of the students rallied around him also.

Highschools are getting a little sporty these days..

KC

sandman99and9
11-18-10, 12:01
Wow, I have relatives in S.A. and have not heard anything from them about this. My niece and nephew went to school around there somewhere.

S.M.

DragonDoc
11-18-10, 21:21
I have heard rumors that the kid hit the officer in the face with the door and then a wrestling tussle ensued.

I'll bet money the kid was trying to wrestle the firearm away from the cop. I sincerely doubt he would have shot the kid otherwise.

jklaughrey
11-18-10, 21:37
One less juvenile miscreant to grow up and become a full blown criminal. Screw him!

Bolt_Overide
11-18-10, 22:14
Shame a kid had to die, even a delinquent. Sounds like the officer wasnt left with a lot of choice.

Mac5.56
11-18-10, 23:19
Yep, every officer that ever fires a shot is always in the right no matter the circumstances.

jklaughrey
11-18-10, 23:37
I don't agree that every officer that fires a shot at a suspect is in the clear. Some make mistakes, some are just bad officers. But in many cases if you get shot you brought it upon yourself. Juvenile, adult, or senior citizen. If drawing down and shooting you is the only option I have, that is what your going to get. Get stupid, you can get dead pretty fast.

Mac5.56
11-18-10, 23:39
edited because it's not worth it to disagree with the majority in this situation.

Buck
11-18-10, 23:52
edited because it's not worth it to disagree with the majority in this situation.

You can disagree here on M4C... You cannot make blanket statements that you know are false in an attempt to start an anti LEO flame war... I truly hope you can tell the difference...

B

jklaughrey
11-18-10, 23:53
Corrections or bar bouncer 5.56?

Mac5.56
11-18-10, 23:55
I got my pee pee smacked and value this forum to much to have this conversation on an un-equal setting. I will be refraining from this one.

bkb0000
11-19-10, 00:08
i've been refraining as well...

there's simply not enough info to even really speculate, at this point.

so who do we side with, in a situation like this? do we side with the cop, in the spirit of "innocent until proven guilty?" or do we side with the citizen, in the spirit of "innocent until proven guilty?" the cop is the agent of the government- that entity which the Constitution seeks to protect us from. the child (punks ass, delinquent, criminal, child- whatever you chose to call him) is the citizen, the one to be protected.

cops supposedly exist to protect us. but it seems like the police officer mentality is generally not to protect the citizenry, but to protect themselves from the citizenry. and why would they be targeted by the citizenry? because they're cops. it's all so simple, right?

what the **** is wrong with this picture.

jklaughrey
11-19-10, 00:35
You do bring a valid point to the table BKB. Who is granted more protection. The citizen or the officer? I rebut with this though, at what point is a citizen no longer a "citizen" but a threat to society and classified as BG? I personally believe that once they cross that threshold they are no longer citizens but "combatants", and we as LE are then sworn to protect the public interest in regards to safety. If that also means our own lives so that we can continue to perform this function, so be it. Once the kid went from citizen to combatant he lost the status which afforded him protection.

John_Wayne777
11-19-10, 07:17
Threads like this are exactly why I voted to close down the general discussion forum. I cannot believe that I'm actually reading some of this tripe.