PDA

View Full Version : cominolli safety removal on glock

sadmin
11-18-10, 11:31
I purchased a used g19 awhile back and it had a cominolli safety already installed. I am looking to pull this thing out. Is this a process that is best handled by a gunsmith; or if im comfortable detail stripping, can I manage?

Has anyone any exp. with this product?

Thanks for your time,
Happy Holidays!

D. Christopher
11-18-10, 14:23
It's not that difficult if you're already comfortable with detail stripping and maintaining your Glock. Cominolli recommends taking the pistol to a qualified gunsmith and having them fill the slot with "colored high grade epoxy". Look at your pistol and see if you feel up to it. Order a replacement Glock Trigger Mechanism Housing for your pistol and drop it in and you're done. I've seen the slot filled with epoxy and I've seen one where the owner cut a piece of polymer and epoxied it in place. More akin to model building skills than gunsmithing skills in this case. For installation I'd usually recommend a gunsmith, but removal isn't as difficult. Good luck.

oldtexan
11-18-10, 15:17
I purchased a used g19 awhile back and it had a cominolli safety already installed. I am looking to pull this thing out. Is this a process that is best handled by a gunsmith; or if im comfortable detail stripping, can I manage?

Has anyone any exp. with this product?

Thanks for your time,
Happy Holidays!

I've had them installed on my four current Glocks, two G19 and two G34, all 3rd Gen. Have put about 5k rds through these guns since installing them. The only issue IMO is that adjusting the "crispness" of the safety on some guns takes patience, and has to be readjusted over time on some guns, as well. Fortunately, even a guy like me with very limited mechanical skills can handle this.

IMO the Cominolli provides me an extra margin of safety during reholstering, and if I ever have to reach into the nightstand drawer in the middle of the night to retrieve the gun.

I do believe that anyone who uses a gun with a manual safety should build up lots of muscle memory in flipping the safety off, prior to trusting themselves to use the gun for serious purposes.

If S&W M&Ps in 9mm with manual safeties had been available and proven when I got these guns, I might have gone that route instead.