PDA

View Full Version : Steyr AUG Question - Hard Cycling to Clear Chamber?

jehj
08-05-07, 20:17
A Steyr AUG Question - I purchased a 905 series AUG and was 'messing' with it and I have noticed a couple of odd things that I do not recall from previous experiences.

First, it seemed a little more sensitive to chambering - most times it would, but on several occasions it would not lock into battery. For the moment I am chalking this up to perhaps riding the charging handle or something.

More troubling though was it seemed to require excessive force to clear the chamber - I am talking butt on the ground and really pulling on the charging handle level of effort. This seemed to be true if the bolt had completely chambered or not. Gun cycles nice smoothly when empty, so this obviously concerns me a bit.

I had pulled everything apart and gave it the rather light lube that is recommended by the original manual.

Anybody have any ideas or inputs?

Thanks,

James

Ed L.
08-05-07, 20:49
I have an AUG which I have owned since last december and it has been a very interesting learning experience.

With the charging handle, you have to be very careful to just pull it back and let it go and not ride it or it will fail to go all the way forward.

More troubling though was it seemed to require excessive force to clear the chamber - I am talking butt on the ground and really pulling on the charging handle level of effort. This seemed to be true if the bolt had completely chambered or not. Gun cycles nice smoothly when empty, so this obviously concerns me a bit.

I have never experienced this in around 2000 rounds fired with the gun. What type of ammo were you using?

Also, does the serial number on the barrel match the receiver or is it made of different parts from different guns?

jehj
08-05-07, 21:28
Hey Ed, thanks for you quick reply.

It is all matching carrying the same serial number: receiver, barrel, and bolt carrier. I find it difficult to cycle with both the original barrel and a 24 inch heavy LSW/LMG barrel I got for it - I was actually trying it out first with the longer barrel and when I experienced the problem I changed to the original barrel thinking that it could have been a fitting issue, but as noted is a no go.

I was trying both some recent green tipped "M855" I got from a friend and some incredibly ancient Winchester 55gr ammunition with both giving the same problems. I use the quotes because, the one is green tipped, but I suppose I cannot be absolutely certain is actual surplus. The Winchester, though old, is most definitely factory fodder purchased by myself in the old 20 round white boxes from back when.

I would like to think it is ammunition related since it cycles smoothly when empty - I will have to try and pick up some different flavors this week and see what happens.

Thanks again,

James

Ed L.
08-05-07, 21:53
Is the gas setting in the right place?

Is the problem with the first round in the magazine or with rounds after you fir it?

AUGs can be deceptive because you would think that the detent would indicate which position the gas selector is on, but it really is the gas plug plunger which is on the opposite side.

Making this mistake can result in you becoming "that guy" in a class.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/USRpic.jpg

Ed L.
08-05-07, 22:12
Here are some more pix that might be helpful.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/aus1.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/aus2.jpg

jehj
08-05-07, 23:04
Ed,

I will take a look at these to be sure.

My initial problem was chambering - I think what you said about pulling and releasing will resolve that - unfortunately, it was during the failure to go to battery that I first discovered the issue clearing the chamber. Even when it does go into battery properly now, I get the too stiff resistance to opening if I want to clear it.

I have not even gotten to the firing stage for fear that my difficulties "clearing" the rifle may indicate a bigger problem for when I do pull the trigger.

I will post updates as I have them.

Thanks again,

James

Ed L.
08-05-07, 23:47
I will have to get my AUG out of the safe and play with it. I have never had a problem clearing the chamber.

The key thing in chambering a round is to pull the charging handle all the way abck and release it. Do not ride it at all.

A few other tips with the AUG.

1. When loading the mag into the AUG, tilt the gun to the right so that the ejection port is facing down and the charging handle is facing up like a shark's fin. This way, even if a round does pop loose it will fall harmlessly out and not create a doublefeed when you release the charging handle.

2. When you insert the magazine do not slap the bottom. Hold the mag like a beercan with your three middle fingers in the front, thumb in the back, and pinkie beneath it, insert it in the magazine well, and then pull down on the magazine to make sure that it is seated. Do not slap the bottom of the mag or you may dislodge the top round (this comes from personal experience and is mentioned in the first scan I posted).

Here are some more scans:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/aus3.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/aus4.jpg

jehj
08-06-07, 19:29
"Deceptive" is right...

A big thanks to Ed who posted and some of my other acquaintances for helping me figure this one out.

Even though the bolt was assembled and in the gun, the relationship between the stamped metal cage-like "locking piece" was askew and was binding things up but good.

Took a couple times to get the "trick" to getting back together so everything moves the way it should.

Whole thing cycles much better now, only problem is I won't get a shot at range time until next weekend...

Whew!

Thanks to all again,

James

Ed L.
08-07-07, 22:43
Glad things got worked out, Jeff.

A lot of issues are things that if I had it in my hand I might be able to diagnose, but are hard to figure out online.