PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Gear

R1pper
08-05-07, 21:20
I have been paying attention to a lot of things on this forum and I have noticed that Blackhawk web gear doesnt really get to many high regards due to quality. But im wondering how is thier footwear. Im not going to be pounding the dirt in either of the sandboxes ( O how I wish I was). Im more or less gonna be pounding the pavement. Im wearing my rocky jump boots that I had in the academy and they are a little rough on the feet after 16 hours and not to mention loud(gotta love it when you can sneak up on those perps) due to the fact they have a hard sole. I love the boots but im looking for something that will be a little more sparing on my feet after 3 days of continous shifts. Im also looking for something i can beat the hell out of and not have to go home a spit shine them to look good. Ive been looking at these blackhawks. http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=83BT03&C=C0864 If any one has any input on these boots or others made by blackhawk id love to hear it, and if any one recomends Original SWAT brand boots no thanks i bought a pair and they lasted about 3 weeks.

P.S. Im really sorry if this post is rambling on due to major staffing issues here at my department ive had about 4 hours of sleep in the past three day but the over time is great$$$:D :cool:

bradb55
08-05-07, 21:25
No info on the blackhawks, but I've always had good luck with Magnum's boot line. One I want to try is the Oakley boot. I've heard a lot of good reviews about them

carshooter
08-05-07, 21:40
I don't have any personal experience with the Blackhawk boots, either.

But, I will second the Hitech Magnum brand. I've worn the brown Civvy Hiking boot version for the last 4 years, with one pair of the higher black boots thrown in. I rotate two pair, every other day and get about one year out of each pair of boots. The steel shank in the sole seems to break down slower than other brands I've tried. My boots seem to die internally long before the exterior goes. In other words, my feet hurt like hell long before they look completely worn out externally. Most of my usage is standing and walking on concrete floors.

I will also mention I prefer a mid length hiking type boot for every day wear over higher military height boots or shoe heigth. The mid length provides ankle support without chafing my calfs and shins all day.

R Moran
08-05-07, 21:52
I have apair of the tan Blackhawks.

They aer very comfortable, but...

They are a little short, and my pants tend to come unbloused, if thats a concern.

And, for whatever reason, when I walk, they just don't "feel" right to me. Remember way back when everyone had their leg boots and Jump boots resoled, with thick frankenstein soles? Thats how they feel to me, just can't get used to them. Glad they were given to me by the local cop shop dealer, and didn't have to pay for them.

Had pretty good luck with Magnums.

And, +1 to breaking down internally first. Most outsoles and uppers will last forever, the internal mid sole cushioning will go long before the rest, just like your running shoes.

Bob

Don Robison
08-05-07, 22:26
No info on the blackhawks, but I've always had good luck with Magnum's boot line. One I want to try is the Oakley boot. I've heard a lot of good reviews about them

Very comfortable, I pulled a pair out of the box and wore them for a 3 day carbine course with no problems. They could last a little longer for the price, I usually get about 8 months out of a pair. They are also very squeaky when walking on a tile/linoleum floor if they are wet. You couldn't sneak up on Helen Keller.

I haven't tried the Blackhawks, sorry I can't offer anything.

Haji
08-05-07, 22:37
I haven't tried the Blackhawks, but there are lotsa reviews of them out there. Basically, they go like this: great comfort, followed by quick blowouts of seams. Obviously, YMMV, but there are better boots out there in the same price range.

I used a pair of Magnums when I worked retail all day and bounced all night. Killed 'em in three months. The only boots that I've had that have lasted comensurate to what I paid for 'em have been Danners.

R1pper
08-05-07, 23:01
Ive had two pair of Magnums one lasted 6 months and the other lasted about 4. For some reason Im really rough with my boots. I agree that for the money they should last a lot longer for the price. As far as longevity goes my Rocky's are hands down long lasting over a year and a good portion was the academy and still on the original soles. I just really want to go with something a little less high shine and something a little more tacticool. I really like how the toe and heels on the blackhawks have the rubber around them, im constantly scuffing the toes on my Rocky's and it drives me bonkers.

TUNNEL RAT 33
08-06-07, 00:19
i have tried most of the patrol boots out there and for pounding the pavement they all have limited lifespans. the boots i've been wearing for the last 2 years are the altama jungle boots with the ripple soles. they are comfortable , durable , and definitely kick good when you have to put a boot up someones ass . they also arent that expensive about 100 bucks if i remember correctly

Shihan
08-06-07, 01:06
I could of swore the Army gave the Magnums the No Go?

Striker5
08-06-07, 08:25
I have no idea how you would get them, but the boots the USMC uses are the shizz-nit, in Goretex and non-Goretex versions. Aside from acquiring a pair, they only come in a coyote brown color. The manufacturer probably makes other versions though. I could check who the manf is, but I don't want to take my boots off.

Haji
08-06-07, 08:38
I'm not sure who the primary vendor is for the Marine Corps boot; I think it's Belleville, but that may not be close to right. I know several Marines who went with this one as an authorized replacement:
http://www.danner.com/product/id/102140.do

Do we have any Marines who have the poop on who the issue boot is from?

R1pper
09-01-07, 17:31
I ended up buying the blackhawk boot and Im satisfied so far ive got about two weeks in the boot and ive had no craftsmanshi[p issues thus far. I have a pretty crazy schedule coming up we have this fair that runs almost the whole month of september and im working double shifts for the entire fair so that should be a good test on the boots.

Joseywales
09-04-07, 19:25
Lots of people swear by Danner.

R1pper
09-06-07, 18:19
My old man jsut picked up a pair of Danner and he says they are the most comfortable boot he has ever had. Im prob gona get a psir of Danner's for the winter.

TUNNEL RAT 33
09-06-07, 19:49
danners are excellent also - they just run narrow . take that into account if you order them - order them wider than you would a regular shoe or boot .

AirNavy
09-06-07, 23:56
I'm not sure who the primary vendor is for the Marine Corps boot; I think it's Belleville, but that may not be close to right. I know several Marines who went with this one as an authorized replacement:
http://www.danner.com/product/id/102140.do

Do we have any Marines who have the poop on who the issue boot is from?

Not a Marine, but I do have 3 pairs of issued Bellevilles. They are great boots and don't require very much break in time. I have spent quite a few 18-24 hour days on my feet in them in relative comfort, plus they take a pretty good beating.
Here's the ones I have (all in steel toe):
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/resources/2.jpg
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/resources/5.jpg
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/resources/7.jpg

neodecker
09-07-07, 07:02
Ive been wearing Converse 8'' Side Zip Tactical Boots for the last 6-8 months. I don't know how they sound when wet on tile, but they seem to be holding up pretty good for working out side all day. plus they are about half the price of the Blackhawks.

hldhard
09-10-07, 22:01
I have a closet full of boots and probably wore out twice that amount. Seems like they were handing a new and different pair in the Military every day. After I retired in 2004 every company or contract did the same thing.
For comfort, absolutly nothing comes close to the Oakly Boots. Get the LEO or Mil discount unless you want to pay over $200. I would pay $300 if I had to. Last I checked the Mil LE discount would drop the price to under $100. Only draw back is they only last a year. But something that comfortable isn't going to last to long. A year is a long time to me. Talking a year of hard use.
The Battes desert boots are comfortable enough but have also lasted me close to two years. I would put comfort before longevity when it comes to feet. If I had to buy boots and couldn't get the Mil, LE discount. I would pay the money for oaklys. Feet are like breaks on your car. You buy the best.

Spurholder
09-14-07, 13:52
The Belleville 390 DES (the lightweight desert boot) is probably the best issue boot I've ever worn in my 23 years of service. It holds up very well to abuse (much more so than the old-school desert boots) and is Nike-comfortable.

The Army issues this boot as part of RFI, and the USMC issues a slightly different model (with OD-colored leather and a steel toe). Not to mention the branded EGA on the heel.

LEOs/military can buy from the government-only website (http://www.lawboot.com). Small discount over their regular site.

Having said all of this, it's not as strong as other boots in ankle support. Oakley's get the nod in that area. Or possible the Gore-Tex lined Belleville 790's as an alternate.

MX5
09-26-07, 12:20
Danner is recommended here.

mcpdcrash
10-03-07, 22:29
I went through 3 pairs of 5.11 8" ATAC's in one year. They're very comfortable but the cordura/nylon separates from the leather in flex areas within weeks. I switched to Danner Strikers and they've been awesome. I suspect they will last much longer than the 5.11's.

Shrike9
10-05-07, 01:01
I wore out a pair of ATAC's in about 5 months, but they lasted for about 8 till the seams blew out.

Replaced em with a pair of Converse soft toe side zips This pair from this company (http://www.shadowenterprises.net/detail.aspx?ID=107) and so far they are excellent boots, but I've only worne em 3 or 4 13+ hour shifts on the ambulance.

I hate Hi Tech boots, they were POS when I was AD and even though they were cheap in the BX, they did not hold up to any serious use.

TheDude
11-08-07, 22:09
No experience with the Blackhawk boots. 5.11's HRT boots are by far the best and most comfortable I have worn on the job. They are fairly warm during inclement weather, and somewhat waterproof. Soft quiet soles and they dont have to be spit shined. Givem a try.

R1pper
11-08-07, 22:40
I ended ip buying the blackhawks and I love em. I will definately buy another pair. Ive had them 3 months and not a single problem yet. For all of Sept and half of Oct I wore them 20 hours a day and pounded the shit out of em (walking about 6 miles a day) I had to change the insoles about half way through that time.

TimW
11-12-07, 22:02
I've had the Blackhawk desert op boots for about 8-9 months, and use them several times a month. On mine, the rubber/sole portion that goes up and over the toe (the 'bumper', as it were) is separating from the boot. Time to call BPG.