PDA

View Full Version : My brand new 9mm Sig P226R extractor failure!

davebee456
11-18-10, 18:41
Help..
My brand new 9mm Sig P226R extractor broke and went missing during range session. The gun is brand new less than 300 rounds fired and during today's range session after around 40 rounds I get a failure to extract malfunction. I had to strip the magazine out and then noticed the entire extractor and pin and spring is gone from the slide.
I called the range officer over and we examined the shell casing after using my fingernail to remove the empty shell case from the chamber..
I did not see any "case rupture" or any noticeable damage to the slide or barrel.
I called and shipped off the pistol to sig.
What worried me is i dont have the empty shell case anymore even though it looked normal to me and SIG Customer Service told me this only happens from "bad ammo" the Ammo was Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ, The Gun has fired less then 250 rounds and this happens needless to say i am upset.
Any advice would help me out.. I still have the ammo box and some rounds left in there but i doubt that will help me out at all.

I was selling this gun on this forum to fund another german made P220 but i guess that wont be happening.

Seraph
11-18-10, 18:55
Sounds like you've got it under control already.

davebee456
11-18-10, 18:57
well i wanted advice dealing with sig customer service perhaps people here had similar failures.

seang
11-18-10, 19:31
Haven't had to use their customer service, but I don't own anymore Sig's. You didn't have to pay for shipping did you? Do you know the date of manufacture of your Sig?

D. Christopher
11-18-10, 19:33
In the future whenever you have an issue at the range remember to save the round or shell casing in question and try to get cell phone pics or video if at all possible to document the event. Remind others of this if you are present when they have a weapons issue at the range. It's important so that others can help diagnose the problem at a later time or from long distance.

Having said that it would be disappointing if SIG doesn't take care of this as a matter of course. It sounds like you were using new, factory ammunition and if you didn't have a missing primer and were able to pull the spent casing out with your fingernail it doesn't sound like there was a major event with that round. Keep us updated on what you learn after SIG inspects the weapon and how they handle things. I don't currently own a SIG, mainly because I have two friends who have had terrible luck with their pistols over the last two years. I hope they take good care of you in a timely manner. Good luck.

davebee456
11-18-10, 20:25
waits for Entropy.

kjdoski
11-18-10, 20:29
I'd also be interested to hear the resolution of this. Did you pay shipping, or did they?

This will be an important test case for me to see how Sig's CS is coming along. I've heard they've gotten better, this should show the truth...

Regards,

Kevin

davebee456
11-18-10, 20:36
well they paid for the shipping and told me that if it is found to be the ammo's fault i will pay them back for shipping and the costs of repairs...
If it is found to be the gun's fault they will cover everything under warranty. what was troubling was the way the customer service rep said they never heard of this happening any other way but ammo related.

In tests Hk shoots their pistol with a jammed round in the barrel to see if their pistol can handle it,

Sig better not say i was shooting "hot" loads or whatever.
Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ arent that "hot"

YVK
11-18-10, 21:00
If you have any of that ammo (same lot) left, I'd contact ammo manufacturer and talk to them. I wouldn't necessarily file a claim, but just have them record the occurence and maybe even ship some of remaining ammo for testing. That way, if SIG comes back with "ammo fault", you could counter with test results, or have them and ATK duke it out.

Somebody owes you at least the price of repair, and if I were to bet, I'd say it would be Sig.

Entropy
11-19-10, 07:53
Sounds like either the extractor or the extractor housing milled into the frame is out of spec. Some pictures would be nice. If it's the extractor, then it is an easy fix. If it is the frame, then you'll need a new frame. Is this the newer pivot extractor with the snail pin that is pushed in from the top of the slide?.....or is it the old style extractor which looks similar to a Glock? You should have saved the brass that caused the failure, or at least some brass from the shooting session. Then some live ammo to give Sig if you don't have any of that.

Usually I don't send Sigs back to the factory unless it is a unfixable failure like a cracked frame/slide. I would instead have a Sig armorer or gun smith look the pistol over and see if there is any additional damage to the gun other than just a popped out extractor. If it is just the extractor, replace it and run some ammo through it to see how the fix went. If it runs good after a couple of hundred rounds, sell it and don't look back.

EDIT: It looks like you're already going with Sig customer service. Hopefully you won't have any problems. When you get your gun back, test it and then sell it.

Repeat after me......."I will only buy old Sigs.......I will only buy old Sigs"

John_Wayne777
11-19-10, 08:39
well they paid for the shipping and told me that if it is found to be the ammo's fault i will pay them back for shipping and the costs of repairs...
If it is found to be the gun's fault they will cover everything under warranty. what was troubling was the way the customer service rep said they never heard of this happening any other way but ammo related.

I will mention again that it is sometimes SOP to tell customers that have contacted a rep about a problem with some sort of line that either does not acknowledge a problem with the weapon (even if the manufacturer has released an updated part to deal with the exact problem the customer has) or to blame something else for the weapon's failure.

An extractor flying completely off the slide is generally not going to be an ammo problem.

If they insist that it was the ammo and try to force you to pay...well...I would give them an earful.

davebee456
11-19-10, 08:40
The extractor is the glock style design, I did not see any damage to the slide or barrel or frame but I did not take the grips off I examined the brass and so did the range officer and looked like all the other brass on the floor and shooting area I feel like an idiot for not keeping it but I do have the rest of the box with the lot number

John_Wayne777
11-19-10, 09:02
The extractor is the glock style design

So it has...well, had...an external extractor and now all you have is a hole in the slide where the extractor and the goodies under it should be, right?

Entropy
11-19-10, 09:10
The extractor is the glock style design, I did not see any damage to the slide or barrel or frame but I did not take the grips off I examined the brass and so did the range officer and looked like all the other brass on the floor and shooting area I feel like an idiot for not keeping it but I do have the rest of the box with the lot number

All the extractor parts needed to your pistol are about $30. Replacing it might fix the problem, but then again, if the slide is the problem then a new slide is about $200. If Sig is going to fix your pistol by replacing the slide, well then they will likely charge you about $200. Most likely this will be their fix.

Alberto
11-19-10, 09:28
I had to deal with Sigs customer service one time (only for a troublesome Mosquito) and they handled everything nicely, never seemed to make excuses.

My friend had issues with his 226, sent it back, they also took care of him with no fuss.

Did they give you a return sticker to ship them the pistol yet?

davebee456
11-19-10, 09:31
it is on the way there today..they sent out a package slip, however said if they decide that the gun was not at fault i would be responsible for shipping plus repairs.

mbogo
11-19-10, 09:38
SIG has a good reputation.

You have the lot number of the ammunition; contact Federal and see if they've had any problems. Then tell them what happened to your new handgun.

mbogo

scjbash
11-19-10, 11:57
A couple weeks ago I had a Federal HST round squib and bulge the barrel in a new M&P. S&W gave me the contact info for the person at Federal who handles these types of issues.

Federal customer service #
1-800-322-2342 ext 3705

He's a busy man, so you'll probably have to leave a voicemail, but he'll call you back.

D. Christopher
11-19-10, 11:58
If you didn't have a popped primer and were able to remove the empty shell with your fingernail like you described then it wasn't an ammo problem. At least not with that round.

davebee456
11-19-10, 12:07
That was part of the reason that I didn't keep that empty brass because it looked like any other shot case...unfortunate for me

300WM
11-20-10, 07:34
If you didn't have a popped primer and were able to remove the empty shell with your fingernail like you described then it wasn't an ammo problem. At least not with that round.

Not that my opion is relevant and it probably isn't, but I agree here.

If what you are saying is true, then I wouldn't worry too much. Sig is pretty good about standing behind their warranty, but they are also good about diagnosing how something broke.

Parts break at times. They are made by men who are not infalible. A gun is not a piece of crap because a part breaks. Every gun maker makes extra parts that you can buy to replace something that breaks. If you find a gun maker that does not have a parts dept., buy that gun. It has been predetermined that nothing on it will ever break.