PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 FS + Deltapoint IWB Tuckable Issue

Web Architect
11-18-10, 22:21
I've read hours and hours of threads here at m4carbine, and they've influenced both the purchase of my 2nd AR (Stickman's CD review from a couple of years ago and related) and now an M&P. Having carried a Rohrbaugh R9 when attire or situation demanded it, and and SA EMP daily for some time, I was quite happy. Then I spent a few days with Mako Defense filming. I had to have a higher capacity, full sized pistol for some reason.

So, I figured let's try something completely different. Mine came with CT grip. Then I got to reading about mounting RMRs, Deltapoints and so forth here. I love dot sights on my carbines. I figured if I'm going to do something new and different, why not go big? Shortly thereafter, I'm the proud owner of a new Deltapoint. I wasn't ready to have it milled into the slide, though I'll concede that looks like the way to go in the long term. I just used the included mount.

So here's the issue. I like the idea a lot for all the reasons given elsewhere. I don't shoot for a living, but I like the option of carrying a full sized gun when I want to. IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck was great, particularly at a full cant. (I'm 5'8" 175 LBS). Was great. Adding the Deltapoint essentially did 2 things I need to overcome.

1. Essentially, it created a forward facing protrusion, opposite the grip. When I need to tuck in a shirt, it's not going to be a heavy material and tends to print badly.

2. The full cant (strong side) points the Deltapoint downward at about a 40 degree angle. It sticks out over the waistband, and is creating wear on my gun belt. A straight drop would fix the wear, but then the length of the grip becomes a bigger issue.

Your thoughts, please and thank you.

Frank Castle
11-19-10, 08:53
Where are you positioning your holster - 3 O'Clock? I would think going with a straight drop and moving the holster to 4 or 5 O'Clock would solve both problems.

Seraph
11-19-10, 10:26
Pushing a straight drop holster back too much will make it hard, for most people, to get a good firing grip on the sidearm before drawing, which isn't good for business. If you can raise the ride height of your holster, it would get the optic off your belt, but probably wouldn't help your printing issue. Sounds like everything was dandy, until you added the Deltapoint. I'm thinking the use of the optic might not be so hot, for you, in the IWB concealed carry role.

Pk14
11-19-10, 12:19
Addresses the issues with the deltapoint - it is a straight drop carry. Your attire / concealment may be conducive to this mode of carry (of course, it takes a holster made for that mode of carry to achieve the requisite speed, comfort, and safety... highly recommend the Shaggy by CCC.

There's a pretty big thread on appendix carry on this site which can give you more background.

Cheers,
Pk

w.kyser
11-19-10, 16:00
I was gonna suggest this also bit then I thought he might have the same problem with the optic riding on the belt. I could be wrong however.

Web Architect
11-22-10, 08:27
I've read some appendix carry threads here, and am persuaded that it has it's merits. However, with my build and the full sized gun, I don't see it happening in this case. I can envision something similar to Fricke's design, but will hold off for now.

I wonder what holster David Bowie and other pioneers of this set up for CCW use...

rjohnson4405
11-22-10, 10:57
Not David, but after attending a class with him I can tell you he carries a full size m&p with the red dot in an appendix carry comp-tac holster.

It is his duty, swat, and ccw gun.