PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ACS vs. VLTOR Imod

Dfarmer786
11-19-10, 03:50
im thinking about changing out my magpul moe stock to some thing else. I figured for xmas id buy myself a battlecomp 1.0 and a new stock so ive narrowed it down to the ACS or imod (regular or clubfoot) itll be on my Bushy carbine patrol rifle. any suggestiions?

RD62
11-19-10, 05:43
Try them both if possible before you buy if you can.

The features, price, and design of the EMOD, IMOD, and ACS are all fairly similar, so to me it comes down to personal preference.

My personal preference is for the VLTOR stocks of this design. It's not that the ACS is a bad stock or inferior stock, in fact its a very good stock. I just personally prefer the aesthetics, latch, negative pitch, etc of the VLTOR.

Army Chief
11-19-10, 06:14
A sound answer, to be sure. Of course, we probably should back up a bit and ask why you want to make the change in the first place. Are you trying to set the rifle up for any particular application, looking for a specific set of features, or just interested in making some changes because it's an easy upgrade?

AC

control_z
11-19-10, 06:55
I wear facial hair so the ACS works for me, VLTORs snagging whiskers are one of the only major negatives I found when researching the two stocks. The Magpul locking feature and access to the storage compartments from the rear is nice too. YMMV

outrider627
11-19-10, 09:25
I think a better comparison is IMod to CTR and EMod to ACS. Do want to have a lightweight stock, or a heavier one for better balance?

Dfarmer786
11-19-10, 18:42
I LIKE IMOD OVER EMOD BECAUSE ITS LIGHTER. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CTR I JUST WANT TO TRY SOMETHIMG DIFFERENT AND ITS EASY AND INEXPENSIVE COMPARED TO OTHER MODS. LIKE EVERYONE IF I HAD 200 TO SPEND ON A STOCK, OR 1500 FOR AN ACOG OR MONEY FOR A DD RAIL I WOULD BUT MONEY IS LIMITED. MY RIFLE IS USED ON DUTY AND HANG ON MY CAGE BUT I DO SHOOT ALOT WITH IT

nickdrak
11-19-10, 19:04
I recently swapped my MagPul CTR for an iMod (clubfoot) on my "CQB" duty rifle (14.5" BCM Middy w/Eotech XPS). The "enhanced" cheek-weld of the iMod definitely makes a noticeable difference with indexing a consistent cheek-weld, which for me translates into a quicker & more accurate first shot on-target.

I like the ACS on my 16" Middy with a variable power 1-4x AccuPoint scope due to it's longer L.O.P. (Length Of Pull) when shooting from prone at distance, but for everything else in-between I like the shorter length L.O.P. of the Vltor iMod stock which offers more adjustability when running body armor. It's lighter weight is also an added benefit over the ACS.

Lucky Strike
11-19-10, 20:16
I had a CTR, switched to an Emod and then switched to the ACS

Wanted a better checkweld which is why I got the Emod but was never a fan of the latch system that VLTOR uses compared to my CTR (but having the cheekweld was a higher priority)......when the ACS came out though it was the best of both worlds for me.

M4Fundi
11-19-10, 22:57
I wear facial hair so the ACS works for me, VLTORs snagging whiskers are one of the only major negatives I found when researching the two stocks. The Magpul locking feature and access to the storage compartments from the rear is nice too. YMMV

Same here, plus I really like the lockup feature of Magpul stocks.

Dfarmer786
11-19-10, 23:25
nickdrak can u post some pics of ur rifles? im really stuck between the clubfoot imod or acs

nickdrak
11-19-10, 23:33
nickdrak can u post some pics of ur rifles? im really stuck between the clubfoot imod or acs

You'll have to wait until Sunday for pics. I dont have any pics of my 14.5" Middy since I installed the iMod on it, and it is locked-up @ work.

Dfarmer786
11-19-10, 23:40
i bet its nice havin weekends off. i wish i could try both but i have nowhere to do it ill just flip a coin i guess either one is a good choice. i wish i was a tier 1 operator and had an excuse for a beard :p

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-20-10, 00:35
As others have said, try it before you buy it. I bought an ACS without trying it, and found I had to lower my head to the stock to get a good cheekweld. So, after trying a CTR, I traded it pretty quickly. The ACR is a nice stock with a solid lockup, but it wasnt for me.

nickdrak
11-20-10, 01:29
i bet its nice havin weekends off. i wish i could try both but i have nowhere to do it ill just flip a coin i guess either one is a good choice. i wish i was a tier 1 operator and had an excuse for a beard :p

In my opinion, the Vltor iMod and the MagPul ACS are two completely different creatures meant for entirely different applications due to the difference in L.O.P. I would attempt to try them both out before you buy, or buy both and keep the one that fits your specific needs more. Sell the other.

usmcvet
11-20-10, 04:08
In my opinion, the Vltor iMod and the MagPul ACS are two completely different creatures meant for entirely different applications due to the difference in L.O.P. I would attempt to try them both out before you buy, or buy both and keep the one that fits your specific needs more. Sell the other.

Nick has a good solution. I've shot with the IMOD and really like it. I've not tried the Magpul. It really is about what fits you so using it will really be your best bet.

crowkiller
11-20-10, 06:22
My Vltor Modstock snags my whiskers also, I plan on going ACS or SOPMOD when funds permit.
How well does the Push-button QD Sling Mount Sockets on the ACS holding up? I couldnt find these on Magpul's site I will have to have this if I get an ACS.

Robb Jensen
11-20-10, 07:13
I've had VLTOR Modstocks, & CTR grab facial hairs where the stock meets the receiver extension NOT at the battery tube seam.

I've NEVER had a E-Mod stock grab facial hairs. The added length of the body of the stock gets the front of it away from your face more and it DOESN'T grab facial hairs where the stock meets the receiver extension. Same goes for the Magpul ACS.

RAM Engineer
11-20-10, 07:32
For me, the shape, angle, and size of the buttplate/buttpad of ANY Vltor stock has it all over any Magpul stock. I'm not a fan of Magpul buttpads/plates.

Robb Jensen
11-20-10, 08:28
For me, the shape, angle, and size of the buttplate/buttpad of ANY Vltor stock has it all over any Magpul stock. I'm not a fan of Magpul buttpads/plates.

The VLTOR stocks are very well made. The EMOD is likely the most durable collapsable stock made.

usmcvet
11-20-10, 08:32

The butplate and cheek weld is what I like about the Viltor and the old grunt in me likes the strike plate.

Biggy
11-20-10, 08:43
For me the Imod just edges out the Sopmod for my lightweight build (its a little lighter and a little more comfortable with its angled toe buttplate) . I prefer the Emod first and the Sopmod second on my 16"Recce type rifle which has a Noveske CHF N4 barrel and a 3-12 scope. And I have never had a problem with the VLTOR stocks snagging my facial hair.

crowkiller
11-20-10, 10:40
I've had VLTOR Modstocks, & CTR grab facial hairs where the stock meets the receiver extension NOT at the battery tube seam.

I've NEVER had a E-Mod stock grab facial hairs. The added length of the body of the stock gets the front of it away from your face more and it DOESN'T grab facial hairs where the stock meets the receiver extension. Same goes for the Magpul ACS.

Thanks I really like the features of the E-Mod and will check into it as well.

kmrtnsn
11-20-10, 11:54
I have had an ACS, an Emod and an Imod on different carbines around the house. The ACS is off and in the "spares" drawer for now.

I may donate it to someone; Grant, you still working on the project we talked about a few months ago?

crowkiller
11-20-10, 11:56
I have had an ACS, an Emod and an Imod on different carbines around the house. The ACS is off and in the "spares" drawer for now.

I may donate it to someone; Grant, you still working on the project we talked about a few months ago?

What didnt you like about the ACS?

kmrtnsn
11-20-10, 12:02
What didnt you like about the ACS?

I found it to be a bit big and "clunky" for lack of a better descrition. I got it after having run an Emod for a while and just prefer the Emod. The Emod works really well on my Recce and the Imod has replaced the factory Colt stock on my work M4. I find that the rubber slip pad works well and is really durable.

.45fmjoe
11-20-10, 12:08
I have an ACS stock and I love the cheek weld but the weight and "clunky" feel of the stock really doesn't do much for me. I'm thinking about changing to an iMOD. I like Magpul's enhanced recoil pad and if Vltor came out with a similar recoil pad I would try it out.

RD62
11-20-10, 13:53

+1

I pretty much always have some type of facial hair. Minimum of a goatee and in the Fall and Winter (like now) rock the full beard.

I have never had an issue with a VLTOR Stock and pulled hair.

Not saying it can't happen to some folks but it hasn't happened to me. That being said I don't go all Grizzly Adams either with long facial hair, but it is there.

Gutshot John
11-20-10, 14:05
+1

I pretty much always have some type of facial hair. Minimum of a goatee and in the Fall and Winter (like now) rock the full beard.

Not saying it can't happen to some folks but it hasn't happened to me. That being said I don't go all Grizzly Adams either with long facial hair, but it is there.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat and while I'm sure it happens to some I think it's something of an overrated concern.

crowkiller
11-20-10, 17:59
+1

Yeah Im more on the Grizzly Adams side of facial hair.:D I really noticed it when shooting prone for some reason. Its hard to ignore hair getting ripped out your face. I really like VLTOR stocks and will check the EMOD out on gotM4's advise.

crowkiller
11-20-10, 18:02
Agreed. I'm in the same boat and while I'm sure it happens to some I think it's something of an overrated concern.

I have thought that maybe putting a piece of tape where the stock and storage tube come together in the front where my whiskers get snagged.

M4Fundi
11-20-10, 19:56
You wanna talk about bad. I got one of the first FN Tactical Police Shotguns with the M4 stock... when that thing grabbed your beard hair shooting slugs it would make you cry:p

Dfarmer786
11-20-10, 21:01
I THINK IM LEANING TOWARDS THE CLUBFOOT IMOD. IF I DONT LIKE IT ILL SELL IT AND TRY ANOTHER

nickdrak
11-21-10, 03:34
Good call. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

nickdrak
11-22-10, 01:14

Here ya go:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4061/sdc10675g.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8898/sdc10681e.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6607/sdc10682w.jpg

benw315
11-22-10, 17:30
wow that ACS looks huge next to the Vltor

SteveL
11-22-10, 20:53
wow that ACS looks huge next to the Vltor

That particular Vltor looks like the Imod. The Emod is longer and the ACS wouldn't look quite so huge next to it.

Hydguy
11-23-10, 14:11
Facial hair is a problem with my Vltor EMod.. a piece of tape fixed that problem...

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 14:34
I just ordered a clubfoot imod from bravo company on sale for 49$ it should fit right in my bushy with no mods right?

Robb Jensen
11-23-10, 14:36
I just ordered a clubfoot imod from bravo company on sale for 49$ it should fit right in my bushy with no mods right?

If it's a mil-spec sized stock you may need to replace the receiver extension on your Bushmaster if it has a factory commercial sized receiver extension on it.

chadbag
11-23-10, 14:37

That sounds like it is the original VLTOR MOD-Stock not the new IMOD

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 17:42
is there a big difference bewtwen the imod and original modstock?

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 17:49
ok i read wrong and might cancel my order and order the IMOD my mistake and the imod is for milspec reciever extension. i dont know if my bushmaster is milspec or commercial

alpha.kilo
11-23-10, 18:16
ok i read wrong and might cancel my order and order the IMOD my mistake and the imod is for milspec reciever extension. i dont know if my bushmaster is milspec or commercial

The receiver extension, or buffer tube, on a Bushy will be commercial.

With that said, I think the Emod/ACS thing is a personal choice. They are both excellent stocks. They both have great check welds. For me, I have both and seem to like the ACS. I like the way it locks up. Which is the most important factor for me. But I agree with Rob that the Emod is very robust. So depending on what you are looking for, the ACS might not be the best choice for you.

If you can try them both and then make your choice, that is the preferable thing before laying out cash. Although I rarely follow my own advice it seems........hence a drawer of stuff I don't use.

Militant83
11-23-10, 18:23
If the sloping cheek rest is what you are wanting I also like the LMT SOPMOD stock

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 18:34
i just removed my noe stock to see if it is commercial or milspec and its commercial so ill have to spend another 55 for the kit

SteveL
11-23-10, 20:05
i just removed my noe stock to see if it is commercial or milspec and its commercial so ill have to spend another 55 for the kit

Both the Imod and Emod stocks are available in commercial-spec sized versions, so you don't have to change your receiver extension if you don't want to.

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 20:13
WHICH WEBSITE HAS THEM FOR COMMERCIAL SPECS? ON BRAVO COMPANY IT SAYS THEY ARE MILSPEC

Skylark
11-23-10, 21:19
I am also interested in a vltor stock but can someone with more knowledge than me explain what this means. I was looking at the manual for the modstocks on the vltor website and this was the disclamer that I read. It makes it sound like I can't put their collapsable stock on my rifle (I have an M&P 15). Surely i'm missing something. Apologies in advance if this is considered thread drift.

LEGAL NOTE: The Vltor Modstock system for AR type rifles can be used on some post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) configured firearms. The only Modstock system allowed on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is the Rifle Modstock and only when mounted to a Rifle Receiver Extension (Colt part# SP61574). The use of a Collapsible Stock Receiver Extension on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is strictly prohibited by federal law (Section 922 of title 18, United States Code). Vltor Weapons System recommends the installer and/or the firearm's owner to check with local, state and federal law before attempting installation/possession of any product manufactured or sold by Vltor Weapon Systems . Vltor Weapon Systems is not responsible for the installation of, use of the Modstock system, or any other related Vltor Weapon Systems product.

chadbag
11-23-10, 21:23
I am also interested in a vltor stock but can someone with more knowledge than me explain what this means. I was looking at the manual for the modstocks on the vltor website and this was the disclamer that I read. It makes it sound like I can't put their collapsable stock on my rifle (I have an M&P 15). Surely i'm missing something. Apologies in advance if this is considered thread drift.

LEGAL NOTE: The Vltor Modstock system for AR type rifles can be used on some post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) configured firearms. The only Modstock system allowed on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is the Rifle Modstock and only when mounted to a Rifle Receiver Extension (Colt part# SP61574). The use of a Collapsible Stock Receiver Extension on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is strictly prohibited by federal law (Section 922 of title 18, United States Code). Vltor Weapons System recommends the installer and/or the firearm's owner to check with local, state and federal law before attempting installation/possession of any product manufactured or sold by Vltor Weapon Systems . Vltor Weapon Systems is not responsible for the installation of, use of the Modstock system, or any other related Vltor Weapon Systems product.

Unless you are in a stupid state, you can safely ignore this. The 1994 Federal Crime Bill (AKA "Assault weapons ban") sunset in 2004 and is no longer in force. A "stupid state" is one that passed their own version of the "assault weapon ban" which is still in force in that state only. If your M&P 15 currently has a collapsible stock and you bought it and it is legal in your state you should be able to put this on it. If you live in a stupid state like California or New York (and a few others) well then, move!

nickdrak
11-23-10, 21:51
WHICH WEBSITE HAS THEM FOR COMMERCIAL SPECS? ON BRAVO COMPANY IT SAYS THEY ARE MILSPEC

SKD Tactical has them in-stock. You have to choose the style & color you want from their drop down menu: http://www.skdtac.com/Vltor_IMOD_Modstock_Commercial_p/vlt.150.htm

Dfarmer786
11-23-10, 21:56
ok i went ahead and ordered straight from Vltor. a clubfoot Imod for commercial specs that should fit my bushy. im sure ill like it most products on here are good just some are better

snake eater 332
12-15-10, 11:53
Does anyone have pics of the VLTOR EMOD and Magpul ACS side by side as a comparison of the two? I have an EMOD on my RRA Entry Tactical, but was interested in taking a closer look at the ACS since I like most of Magpul's stuff....just curious.

ra2bach
12-15-10, 13:47

FWIW, I get facial hair snagged by my CTR stock more than my Emods. they're longer so the union of the stock to the RE, where most of this occurs, is further away so I've not really not had this problem...