PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of the "black rifle"

rzhabr
11-19-10, 09:00
Just purchased this Colt Sporter HBAR at a gun show this weekend, I think I overpaid a bit for it but I am in a crazy state *cough MD cough*and really wanted to get a cash and carry AR at the time. After doing some research looks like this is a 6601 model Delta in production from 91-92. I paid $1350 out the door which included the original case, cheek rest, 2 mags, leather colt sling, and a cleaning kit. It looks bone stock from the factory and has the 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist, tasco 3x9 scope with the ARMS mount, cheek rest etc...the thing I am not liking now that the purchase high is off is that it also has some crazy screw attached to the upper and lower so this is going to be a pain to swap out if I ever get around to it, and may have large pins for the trigger group as well :sad:. Haven’t fired her yet but hope to hit the range this weekend and put 100-200 rounds down range. I will post up some pictures of the groups after I sight it in. So all you gurus out there was this a good purchase for a first time AR buyer? After shooting it I will see what needs to be swapped out but open to suggestions now :laugh: Thanks in advance!!!

dieselgeek
11-19-10, 09:14
Hey, you already paid for it ;) So no worries on the price. just go shoot the crap out of it.

Eric D.
11-19-10, 09:40
Welcome, and a good choice for a first buy. When it comes to unbiased AR knowledge based on both theory and first hand experience, you came to the right place.
I'm just curious what steered you toward that colt rifle. Did you already know you wanted a "traditional" AR-15 setup, something to use for range/varmints/hunting? Or were you more like me and saw a picture and went "I want one!"
Colt makes great rifles, no worries there, but as everyone here will tell you, "a good buy" depends on what you want to use it for. Since you're new to the platform, take the time to shoot the rifle, get comfortable with it, and learn what you like/dislike. There are so many options when it comes to accessories, and once you start buying, its hard to stop :sarcastic:

rzhabr
11-19-10, 14:21
I guess what really suckered me into this buy was it was "MD legal" - cash and carry - in MD the law on regulated/unregulated firearms is kind of wonky and for a legal cash and carry M4/AR15 it has to be an HBAR. This was one of two HABRs I found when I went looking and this one came with all the goodies. Next would be the caliber, I was stuck on the .223 caliber as it is legal to hunt in MD with a .223 cartridge if it can produce 1,200 lbs at the muzzle, and most of my time will be spent at the range.

SouthPark
11-19-10, 14:29
I owned one of these HBars and they are solid but they do have some quirks like the nutty screw take down when Colt was trying to avoid doing anything that gave buyers a true M16 clone. Over time, you may or may not want to update it depending on how you use it. Have fun.