PDA

View Full Version : Painting/Stippling Pmags- Help?

Jellybean
11-19-10, 16:25
Ok- so I really don't know where to put this, and if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

On to the topic-
I am currently in the process of getting all artsy and I want to paint and stipple my Pmags.
I just tried some stippling with a wood burner, and I think it turned out pretty well (see attached images). However I also want to paint a pattern on my mags, so they'll match the plan I have for my rifle. I'm more or less going to be following Rob_s' technique for the painting.

Question A) Should I stipple or paint first? It seems that if I paint first the stippling will remove the paint to the point of pointlessness. But if I stipple first will the paint adhere well enough to both color it fully, and still be durable? I can't seem to find anything about this, except for the last page of the M&P pic thread and I really couldn't tell much from that....

Question B) So I walk into Lowes to look for some of the Rust-oleum spray paint because Walmart has Zero selection. I look all over- no OD, no FDE. Uh oh.
However there were a couple other types by Rust-oleum- Satin and Specialty Camouflage- that would work colorwise. Has anyone ever used either of these for painting AR accessories? How durable are they, and do they give a nice thick full finish?
Does the normal Rust-O Gloss Protective Enamel even come in OD and FDE?

Question C) Or am I just wasting my time, when I could be buying pre-colored Pmags? I researched them a while back, and it seemed that the other colors of plastic were weaker than the black.
Granted I'm kind of going for something a little more unique, but still...

Caeser25
11-19-10, 17:39
Stipple first, it's easier before there's paint

Jellybean
11-20-10, 16:43
That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Anyone want to chime in on the other issues?

yellowv
11-20-10, 17:03
Hmmm that stippling looks pretty cool. May have to bust out the soldering iron. Don't know if I have the patience though.

jaxman7
11-20-10, 17:21
I have about 6 pmags stippled and I like the added grip when performing a reload but is does take time to do. I've been considering buying some emags. Because of the emags flat sides, grip tape could be easily applied.

-Jax

Rys06TBSS
11-20-10, 18:34
I have about 6 pmags stippled and I like the added grip when performing a reload but is does take time to do. I've been considering buying some emags. Because of the emags flat sides, grip tape could be easily applied.

-Jax

I never thought about using grip tape... But why not just trim the tape and apply. I stippled my pistol grip and the top and 3rd row of my PMag. To a HELL of a long time... Wanna say like 2 hours for the two rows and 4 for the whole grip. Theres gotta be a better way

jaxman7
11-20-10, 19:49
Sure cutting grip tape will work fine. I've done it on some of my mags. Its just the fact that I've been planning on buying some new magazines anyway and really wanted to try a few of the emags.

-Jax

I never thought about using grip tape... But why not just trim the tape and apply. I stippled my pistol grip and the top and 3rd row of my PMag. To a HELL of a long time... Wanna say like 2 hours for the two rows and 4 for the whole grip. Theres gotta be a better way

Jellybean
11-21-10, 15:34
Hmmm that stippling looks pretty cool. May have to bust out the soldering iron. Don't know if I have the patience though.

Thanks.
You wouldn't want to see what happened to the baseplate though...:laugh:

As far as the other paints go, I'm going to assume no-one's really done this much...?