PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 17 Talo w/FailZero EXO slide (Pics)

stmcelroy
11-19-10, 18:22
Stopped by the local gun store today and saw a Glock 17 with what looked like a hard chrome slide.

I've owned a couple of Glock 17L's for the last 2 years and started to realize they just didn't point right for me so figured that this 17 would be the same, but had to hold it anyways.

Well I guess the longer slide was the problem because this 17 just felt right, and it looked neat to.

Got it home a little bit ago and have added Ameriglo Pro-Operator sights to it, think it will make a great addition to my CCW/Home Defense rotation(21SF, 19Gen4, 19, 23, 17L & 26 plus others).

Found out the slide is finished with FailZero EXO which is supposed to be 40% harder than hard chrome and self lubricating. Not a bad addition for $30, plus I've always wanted a black and silver Glock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMAG0215.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/IMAG0214.jpg

TXLowflyer
11-19-10, 18:36
I carry a Glock 17 every day as a CCW. Just wish I could get mine refinished in EXO. The finish on my 22 year old Glock is rough, but it has no rust issues.

stmcelroy
11-19-10, 18:41
I carry a Glock 17 every day as a CCW. Just wish I could get mine refinished in EXO. The finish on my 22 year old Glock is rough, but it has no rust issues.

I've heard that from a few people, no refinishing customers guns.

Sounds like a good reason for a new gun;)

I'm already wanting a 19 when they come out, god knows I need a 4th compact Glock(currently 2-19, 1-23)

TurretGunner
11-19-10, 19:27
How did they get the melonite off? If they put it on top, how do you know there isisnt rust underneath? or pitting.

GermanSynergy
11-19-10, 19:46
Was this store Virginia Arms?:D

stmcelroy
11-19-10, 20:28
How did they get the melonite off? If they put it on top, how do you know there isisnt rust underneath? or pitting.

New guns that have tennifer treatment to the steel, no finish to worry about.

Was this store Virginia Arms?:D

No, bit of a drive from Washington.;)

ETA: I just updated my profile to show where i was from.

Robb Jensen
11-19-10, 21:47
We do have some EXO coated Glock 17s. We get them from Lipseys. I posted a pic of one of out 17s on SilencerTalk.

GermanSynergy
11-19-10, 21:48
Must...resist...urge...to...buy one...... :big_boss::sarcastic:

We do have some EXO coated Glock 17s. We get them from Lipseys. I posted a pic of one of out 17s on SilencerTalk.

stmcelroy
11-19-10, 22:43

Do it, i'm thinking about picking up a second.:dance3:

D. Christopher
11-20-10, 01:56
Can the slides be purchased separately or only complete pistols?

MarkG
11-20-10, 05:49
Stopped by the local gun store today and saw a Glock 17 with what looked like a hard chrome slide.

I've owned a couple of Glock 17L's for the last 2 years and started to realize they just didn't point right for me so figured that this 17 would be the same, but had to hold it anyways.

Well I guess the longer slide was the problem because this 17 just felt right, and it looked neat to.

Got it home a little bit ago and have added Ameriglo Pro-Operator sights to it, think it will make a great addition to my CCW/Home Defense rotation(21SF, 19Gen4, 19, 23, 17L & 26 plus others).

Found out the slide is finished with FailZero EXO which is supposed to be 40% harder than hard chrome and self lubricating. Not a bad addition for $30, plus I've always wanted a black and silver Glock.

Source?

Robb Jensen
11-20-10, 06:58

Here's a little more temptation. They are actually pretty cool. You can't tell from this picture but the barrel seems highly polished before they apply the EXO finish which makes it very smooth. The slide seems to have a nice bead blast before finishing which gives it a non reflective finish to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/EXOGlock17-1.jpg

wahoo95
11-20-10, 09:39
How does that finish compare to Robar's NP3?

stmcelroy
11-20-10, 11:26
Source?

Can't remember thought I read it somewhere yesterday.

Could have been 40% more wear resistant.;)

Magic_Salad0892
11-20-10, 17:43
If it still has the Tenifer coating on it, then it'd be worth it.

skyugo
11-21-10, 00:15
If it still has the Tenifer coating on it, then it'd be worth it.

It probably still has the tenifer, you'd have to grind off 2 thousandths of hardened steel to remove it

Neo Mara
11-21-10, 00:50
Do they coat all the internals as well?

Magic_Salad0892
11-21-10, 05:40
It probably still has the tenifer, you'd have to grind off 2 thousandths of hardened steel to remove it

Forgive my ignorance. Is that alot? Wouldn't forward slide serrations be more than 2 thousandths?

FWIW, if it definitely has the Tenifer, this would be awesome. However I'd send off the slide to get anodized black, or something. I hate two tone guns.

Boss Hogg
11-21-10, 12:59
I saw one of these at a gun show this weekend.

I love the Fail Zero concept, but given that I'm not carrying a Glock on maritime duty, and have never had a Glock 17 or 19 jam in over 10,000 rounds, I'm not sure what the upside would be.....other than being a really cool pistol.

Magsz
11-21-10, 17:53
I saw one of these at a gun show this weekend.

I love the Fail Zero concept, but given that I'm not carrying a Glock on maritime duty, and have never had a Glock 17 or 19 jam in over 10,000 rounds, I'm not sure what the upside would be.....other than being a really cool pistol.

That is the dilemma that alot of people face in regards to whether or not an FZ coated "insert whatever here" is worth it.

People are saying that the pistol with the FZ coated slide is commanding a 30 dollar premium. I will say that based upon my experiences with the product for thirty bucks, absofreakinlutely for a few reasons.

1. The EXO technology has a very high lubricity value and while i would never run any of these products without lube, theoretically they require less lube over the long run, or they can be run longer without lube. Im not sure which one of those statements makes more sense.

2. The coating is very hard and will easily last the lifetime of the firearm. Tenifer is probably just as hard but you will still see the black color removed from the surface of the steel over time no your Glock slide. The EXO coating will not wear as the coating IS the color. Its a cosmetic issue but i have seen some pretty worn glocks that seriously need refinishing as they're all but bare silver around the muzzle.

For 30 bucks, why the heck not if the color appeals to you. It is going to be at least as good if not better than a stock Glockinspiel with its tenifer awesomesauce. At the very least you can consider it a very cheap way to get a different colored slide. :)

wahoo95
11-21-10, 18:30
From the research I've been able to do it seems like the coating is definitly worth the extra $30. I spent $150 to have my Glock coated in NP3 from Robar and have been nothing but happy. Sounds like this new EXO finish has all the pros of NP3 while also being more wear resistant.

Magic_Salad0892
11-22-10, 01:16
Are these going to be standard production - or limited?

eternal24k
11-22-10, 06:48
that's sweet. But I have to say, i feel like Glock is a platform that probably benefits the least from the FZ slide. Now if there was a FZ Sig or other alloy or steel frame with lots of contact, that might really get your money out of it.

Boss Hogg
11-22-10, 07:17
That is the dilemma that alot of people face in regards to whether or not an FZ coated "insert whatever here" is worth it.

People are saying that the pistol with the FZ coated slide is commanding a 30 dollar premium. I will say that based upon my experiences with the product for thirty bucks, absofreakinlutely for a few reasons.

1. The EXO technology has a very high lubricity value and while i would never run any of these products without lube, theoretically they require less lube over the long run, or they can be run longer without lube. Im not sure which one of those statements makes more sense.

2. The coating is very hard and will easily last the lifetime of the firearm. Tenifer is probably just as hard but you will still see the black color removed from the surface of the steel over time no your Glock slide. The EXO coating will not wear as the coating IS the color. Its a cosmetic issue but i have seen some pretty worn glocks that seriously need refinishing as they're all but bare silver around the muzzle.

For 30 bucks, why the heck not if the color appeals to you. It is going to be at least as good if not better than a stock Glockinspiel with its tenifer awesomesauce. At the very least you can consider it a very cheap way to get a different colored slide. :)

Agreed.....but I had very recently picked up one of the last G17 OD Gen III so my Glock budget was tapped out. Perhaps I was trying to justify NOT purchasing the FZ one in my prior post.

It will go through the "think about it for 30 days" budgeting process :p

B.K.
11-22-10, 09:04
Anyone have a idea of the other models that will be made?

stmcelroy
11-22-10, 14:19
Are these going to be standard production - or limited?

Limited production, supposedly around 500 rounds of each.

Anyone have a idea of the other models that will be made?

Will be done in 17, 19, 26, 22, 23 & 27

Magic_Salad0892
11-22-10, 17:59
It's a cool gun, but I don't think I need one.

This platform benefits the least from it.

I hope they make a Beretta EXO coated frame.

trio
01-09-11, 20:32
I bought one and put the EXO upper on my OD G17 bottom....I'll try and get a picture of it at some point

as an aside...VA Arms got a G19 EXO Failzero gun last week as well...

my understanding is a 26 will be forthcoming as well

I think I'm going to get the whole set