PDA

View Full Version : Switching from DD Lite to Troy/VTAC tube easy?

Lucky Strike
11-19-10, 19:54
I've got a BCM 16" Recce upper that came with a DD Lite 12" quad rail on it. Been happy with this upper.....put an AFG on the rail and it's been a joy to shoot.

Recently though I got a Nordic Components .22lr upper which comes with a tube fore end. Originally my plan was to get a cheaper quad rail (YHM) with an AFG so that it'd closely match my primary upper for training purposes.

However the more I shoot the Nordic the more I'm liking the feel of the tube over the quad rail/afg. Now I'm thinking of going the other way and getting a tube for my primary.

Getting really close to pulling the trigger and ordering the 13" Troy/VTAC (still not sure which of the two i want....the VTAC seems like it'd be more comfortable but i like that the Troy seems to have an upgraded nut and come with a special wrench). Plus i think I can fund the tube purchase by selling the DD Lite and still have some spending cash left over for something else (i need a good light mount).

I've never done any gunsmithing to my upper...about the hardest thing i've done so far has been installing a Geiselle SSA into my lower.

Anyway just wondering about the difficulty level of removing my DD Lite and putting the Troy/VTAC on there.

I don't have any special AR specific tools....just standard stuff and access to a vice at my buddy's house.

adh
11-20-10, 21:59
Shoot gotm4 a PM and ask him how much he'd charge you to swap it out. He swapped out my DD M4 12.0 for a Troy VTac (I supplied the parts), cost and turn around were very reasonable

MitchK
11-21-10, 08:34
I just put a 13" Troy on mine. Can't say how hard it will be to get your DD rail removed, but installing the Troy was easy squeezy.

sgtlmj
11-25-10, 19:30
It's super easy to do; just requires the right tools.

DD uses a special wrench for their bbl nut, and you should really use a vice block for the receiver. If you don't want to purchase these, have someone else do it.