PDA

View Full Version : building a lower

Blindeye_03
11-20-10, 00:24
So searching wont find anything - looks like its down... ?

Anyways I got the mag release in just fine but then I got half of the roll pin for the bolt catch, I put the spring & other thing into the hole, then put the catch into the receiver. I for the life of me cant get the roll pin in much further... its in enough to hold the release but its still out a pretty good ways.

Any tips/ideas?

motorwerks
11-20-10, 00:44
can you get it back out? One of the things I've done to make that and the trigger guard roll pin easier for me to install is I chuck them both up, one at a time, one half at a time in my drill and I remove a little material from the pin, with some emery cloth. Then I lube the pins with a little oil and then tap tapp-a-roo then in place. Be careful not to take to much off, and go a little at a time.

Blindeye_03
11-20-10, 01:03
Ill give it a shot - earlier the release was kinda stuck and had no springs tension so I wiggled it some and then it now moves freely but wont come out because the pin is holding it in.

I can try to get the pin out though and take some of the material off (very very very small amount).

EDIT: I got it :) Had to soak it in CLP over night and it went right in with a hammer - I stopped using the rubber mallet this morning.

Blindeye_03
11-20-10, 11:00
All I have left is the rear pin and the plunger for the buffer - cant install either yet because I dont have a castle nut.

My parts kit came with a Magpul trigger guard and a 1.5mm allen wrench screw. Well the screw only goes in so far - how far is it supposed to go? halfway? all the way?

ROGOPGEAR
11-20-10, 13:16
it's in one of these four videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/R0GUEKN1GHT#p/u/9/_dyky83ktZ4

Blindeye_03
11-20-10, 14:04
Wow mine wont go in that far at all... hmmm

Blindeye_03
11-20-10, 15:07
Whats the correct size wrench for this? I think my screw is starting to bite but wont go in all the way, I think its rounding it out. I didnt get one with the part by the way...

cjs
11-22-10, 12:29
Wow. Wish I'd seen this earlier...sounds exactly like my issue with the bolt catch from exactly one day earlier...but I ended up with a dinged lower (despite taping it using the wrench method) and a bent pin. I'm hoping that a hardware store roll pin will work as well (it looks a little less tight so I can actually taper the lead end a little before trying again).

Ah well, character marks for my first build, but wish I'd used a little CLP in there.

Blindeye_03
11-22-10, 18:41
Yep CLP is a miracle worker.. that and dont use a rubber mallet :lol:.

beavo451
11-22-10, 20:58
Ill give it a shot - earlier the release was kinda stuck and had no springs tension so I wiggled it some and then it now moves freely but wont come out because the pin is holding it in.

I can try to get the pin out though and take some of the material off (very very very small amount).

EDIT: I got it :) Had to soak it in CLP over night and it went right in with a hammer - I stopped using the rubber mallet this morning.

I'm willing to bet that you did not get the pin and holes lined up perfectly and the pin was binding against the bolt catch. Your wiggling popped it place and allowed you to hammer the pin in all the way. Just something to watch out for in the future.