PDA

View Full Version : YHM Receivers?

Mauser KAR98K
11-20-10, 11:43
Does anyone run with a YHM receiver with a different upper? If so, how are they?

kmrtnsn
11-20-10, 11:49
I have two. I have had no issues with either of them, they accept all magazines and work with several uppers I have.

The_Hammer_Man
11-20-10, 16:20
I have two. I have had no issues with either of them, they accept all magazines and work with several uppers I have.

+1 to this. Have had mine for 3 yrs now and no issues at all. Only change made to it since I got it was to replace the trigger with a Timney trigger pack and added a BAD lever.

ChicagoTex
11-20-10, 16:37
Mine's been everything I expect from a lower receiver. All my G&R parts fit and operate smoothly, and hold under recoil. Every magazine I've tried goes in easy and drops free.

Flawless mil-spec receiver - if that's what you're looking for, YHM seems as good as any other.

Dionysusigma
11-20-10, 17:25
My A4gery uses a YHM receiver. Well-made, everything fits perfectly in the right spot, PMAGs drop free. Zero problems, and I'd trust it to do anything a Noveske/LMT/KAC/FNH/Spike's/BCM lower to do.

There are only two things that aren't "mil-spec," but they're (in my opinion) bonuses. First, the beveling around the inside edge of the mag well is flared a tad more than many companies, easing mag insertion without being overly obvious.

Second, there's a little dime- to nickel-sized indentation/scallop on the front of the magwell just below the front takedown pivot pin--not sure why it's there, but it's intentionally there for some reason, and it hasn't caused me any issues whatsoever. You can kinda see it in this pic:

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/skus/p_100004301_1.jpg
http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/skus/p_100004301_1.jpg

D Golden
11-20-10, 18:11
Yankee Hill upper and lower on my first build. Bought my lower parts from a Colt distributor. Used a Geissele SSA trigger group. Upper-- BCM bolt & carrier, Vltor med. charging handle. Fit & finish were great. No problems here.

Mauser KAR98K
11-20-10, 21:38
Thanks everyone. I am looking very intently to make my first AR build, mainly working with the lower half to start. I don't think I will do an upper assembly, especially with the tools I need to acquire first. I saw a YHM striped lower at a pawnshop for $200! I'm passing on that since I can "hopefully" order one way cheaper from my local gun shop, or I might try to win on off of gunbroker and try to get the FFA transfer down. Not to sure on the latter. Would live to due to the inexpensiveness of it, but not sure what the procedures are for a smooth transaction.

This build will either have a Noveske upper, or a BCM upper with a 14.5--16 inch barrel.

The_Hammer_Man
11-20-10, 22:15
TWO HUNDRED for a stripped lower?

Man.. make SURE you get a kiss and dinner with that.

You can regularly find YHM lower recievers for well under that price point. I've never paid more than $150 for mine.

kmrtnsn
11-21-10, 01:51
$200 is almost what I paid for my TWO YHM lowers.

D Golden
11-21-10, 17:19
Mauser, i paid $96.00 for my lower on Gunbroker, a dealer out of Las Vegas. Hope that helps.

Mauser KAR98K
11-21-10, 20:05
Mauser, i paid $96.00 for my lower on Gunbroker, a dealer out of Las Vegas. Hope that helps.

Can any of you give me a quick guide on how to order FFA items through gunbroker. I have a few places I can do transfers from, But I'm not sure how I should approach them with doing an online order from gunbroker and doing the required FFA procedures.

Thanks in advance.

ChicagoTex
11-21-10, 20:37
Can any of you give me a quick guide on how to order FFA items through gunbroker. I have a few places I can do transfers from, But I'm not sure how I should approach them with doing an online order from gunbroker and doing the required FFA procedures.

You simply ask your dealer if they're willing to accept transfers on your behalf. Most dealers will accept transfers for a fee (after all, they're helping you buy a gun from someone else). A fair fee is generally considered to be between $15 and $25, though there are many who will charge substantially more (the dealer closest to my house charges $45 for a transfer, for example) and some who will flat-out refuse.
It is also not uncommon for dealers to only accept firearms shipped from other federally licensed dealers, even though strictly speaking it would be legal for a private individual to ship to them. If this is the case BE SURE THAT THAT WORKS FOR THE SELLER BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO BUYING as some sellers don't have access to a dealer willing to ship on their behalf, or if they do, it could substantially increase their shipping cost.

Once you line up a dealer willing to accept on your behalf, and have a seller willing to sell per your dealer's terms (if applicable), you will need to furnish evidence for the seller that the dealer you want him to ship to is actually federally licensed - this is typically accomplished by either providing a copy of your dealer's Federal Licensing Tax Form (I forgot the exact form #), which you'd have to get from your dealer, or providing contact info (a phone number works best, in my experience) for your dealer so the seller can communicate with them and acquire said form from them, typically via fax or email.

Once the seller has verification of your dealer's legality and you have submitted payment, he is free to ship the item to your dealer - BE SURE THE SELLER MAKES IT OBVIOUS ON THE SHIPPING LABEL AND/OR GUN PACKAGING WHO THE GUN IS FOR as many dealers will flat-out refuse to accept guns with no indication as to who they're supposed to transfer them to. Once your dealer receives the gun, you simply show up, pay the fee, and go home with your new rifle/shotgun/handgun/receiver/whatever.

Mauser KAR98K
11-21-10, 20:43
Cool. I'm bookmarking this. Thanks Chicago!

ChicagoTex
11-21-10, 20:50
Cool. I'm bookmarking this. Thanks Chicago!

Glad to help.

If you're really planning to use this for future scenarios I feel obligated to point out one more crucial technical point:

If at some point you wish to purchase a handgun from a private seller out of state on Gunbroker or wherever else, be sure that seller does not intend to ship the handgun via the United States Postal Service because it is illegal for private individuals to ship handguns via the USPS except for warranty fulfillment and if they do so it will be instantly rejected by your dealer.

Mauser KAR98K
11-21-10, 23:10
Glad to help.

If you're really planning to use this for future scenarios I feel obligated to point out one more crucial technical point:

If at some point you wish to purchase a handgun from a private seller out of state on Gunbroker or wherever else, be sure that seller does not intend to ship the handgun via the United States Postal Service because it is illegal for private individuals to ship handguns via the USPS except for warranty fulfillment and if they do so it will be instantly rejected by your dealer.

Roger that.

Blacknite
11-22-10, 13:48
Have 2 and they are great with different uppers.