PDA

View Full Version : My New Patrol Rifle - Colt 6720

Redberens
11-20-10, 14:39
I finally picked out my new patrol rifle and wanted to thank everyone for their help. I've been lurking here for about two months and did a lot of research under the search button. It's nice because of the knowledge level on this board - this really helped in deciding on my gun. Based on what I read, I chose the Colt 6720.

I got it from Clyde Armory, and I have to tell you their customer service is outstanding. Very helpful and just plain good people to deal with. I explained that our department policy required a small and large rear sight app., and asked if there was any way to trade out rear sights. They offered to switch out with a Daniel Defense A1.5, and gave me a $50.00 discount for LE service. I also picked up a Maxpedition Active Shooter bag and some Magpul 30rd mags as backup. The gun looks great with excellent fit and finish. It definitely beats the DPMS carbines we can check out of the dept. armory at the beginning of shift. This Wednesday we have night range so I'll be able to sight it in with the Winchester 64gr Power Points we are issued. Here she is:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/Redberens/Colt6720.jpg

blackbox
11-20-10, 14:44
Excellent choice, the colt will surely never let you down. be safe out there and don't forget to sign out.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-20-10, 15:31
Great choice of a nice lifesaver! Whats with the sling?

SpankMonkey
11-20-10, 15:34
Nice rifle OP. Your gonna like the LW barrel.

I need to get me some more 20s.

nickdrak
11-20-10, 15:42
Great choice.

D. Christopher
11-20-10, 15:44
Excellent choice and you got it from some great people, well done. I hope you only have to use it for training and fun times at the range. Good luck and stay safe.

The_Hammer_Man
11-20-10, 16:12
Great choice of a nice lifesaver! Whats with the sling?

Is that a bungee cord?

markm
11-20-10, 16:24
Solid, basic set up.... just need a light. :cool:

Enoc
11-20-10, 16:41
Congrats on the new rifle. That gun will out last you if you take decent care of it.

Is that a bungee cord?

Haha I was thinking the same thing. And now off to the garage to see how it feels...

Solid, basic set up.... just need a light. :cool:

+1 You could get MOE handguards and a G2 LED for under $100 and you would be set.

Beat Trash
11-20-10, 17:12
You really need to add a light. A MI Front Sight Base rail, a Surefire G2L and a mount and you are GTG.

Great choice in a patrol rifle.

ST911
11-22-10, 10:12
Excellent choice. I switched to a 6720 earlier this year. Very light and handy.

arizonaranchman
11-22-10, 12:54
Nice! Great KISS carbine that will serve you well.

I use the MI front sight base rail for a SureFire Scout and like it alot. Mounted on the left side and use my thumb to activate.

rob_s
11-22-10, 13:02
Excellent choice! I am still so glad to see Colt selling these after so many of us made our own versions from 6520s by swapping out the uppers for flat-tops. Good deal on the rear sight too, that DD 1.5 is good stuff.

If you're going to use it for work, definitely get a light on there, or a way to add a light. With the short handguards of the 6720 something like the Midwest Industries FSB light mount is a good option. I tried bolting a light directly to the handgaurd and found that I rand out of room for my hand. :sarcastic:

rushca01
11-22-10, 13:25
Excellent rifle.

Couple of minor suggestions.

Get the light as others have mentioned.
I would look at a tac sling, something like the BFG. Not sure what you have on there right now.
Keep it well lubed (let's not debate lube), just lube it.
Get a RDS if the dept will allow it and pref an aimpoint due to battery life/durability.
Go shoot buku rounds down range before throwing in the cruiser and calling it good.

I'm sure someday you may want to add some sort of rail but take care of the above first.

500grains
11-22-10, 14:38
Great gun!!

Do you plan to have an optic in quick release mounts?

Tritium front sight?

Weaponlight?

Just wondering. My wife has a 6520, pretty much the same theory but w/o a provision for an optic.

Redberens
11-22-10, 14:40
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Right now I just have a Royal Arms bungee sling - it's pretty popular with our tac guys. I've looked at the Vickers slings, but it looks like I would have to get a new rear stock or buffer tube plate and front sling mount. Wish someone made a good sling that used the existing sling mounts.

I think I'll shoot it a while before deciding on a RDS - I'll need to research that a while. Eotechs are really popular around here, and so far no problems. I'll let you guys know how it does at the range.

kaltesherz
11-22-10, 15:34
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Right now I just have a Royal Arms bungee sling - it's pretty popular with our tac guys. I've looked at the Vickers slings, but it looks like I would have to get a new rear stock or buffer tube plate and front sling mount. Wish someone made a good sling that used the existing sling mounts.

Vickers slings will absolutely work with your stock, I used mine on both older and the new type issue carbine stocks.

ETA: Just realized that you don't have a front side sling mount, thought all Colt carbines came with those... er... nevermind...

Luke_Y
11-22-10, 15:49
The Vickers will fit the horizontal slot on the stock, and you could use the UWL for the front in place of the colt side sling mount.

lethal dose
11-22-10, 16:03
I ran a vcas on a standard car stock and used a blue force gear steel cable sling attachment run through the fsb. Worked good.

RAM Engineer
11-22-10, 16:14
Do these guns have a "F" FSB?

Redberens
11-22-10, 18:49
Do these guns have a "F" FSB?

It doesn't look like it. Unless they are hiding the little 'F' somewhere.

7.62NATO
11-22-10, 19:35
What does the 6720 have on the 6920?

Eric
11-22-10, 19:46
What does the 6720 have on the 6920? LW barrel instead of the M4 profile. Includes a BUIS, instead of a carry handle. http://colt6720.com/

Scotter260
11-22-10, 23:13
Thank you for the pic. I'm waiting on a DD 14.5 LW carbine upper with DD BCG, 1.5 rear sight and perm. attached BattleComp 1.5 to mount on a Colt A2 Gov't Carbine lower I've got and what you have gives me a perfect visual of what to expect.

I intend to add only a standard Colt sling, M4 handguards and a light, possibly a TLR-3 to keep it light and basic. I only need suggestions on the light mount and front sling mount which many have shared with you already.

Enjoy your less-is-more carbine and thanks again.

DSZM4
11-23-10, 07:08
What does the 6720 have on the 6920?

Why 6720?

A lighter barrel a lighter rifle.

And?

A barrel that will heat up faster but cool off faster.

Downsides?

Not as easy to mount a M203