PDA

View Full Version : School me on SPRs...about to start my first build

Eurodriver
11-20-10, 15:20
Once UPS delivers my new BCM upper (UPS takes a week to get here...I still don't know how they do "UPS Ground" to Hawaii from Wisconsin, but thats a different story)

I'm going to start my first SPR build. I have no idea what course of action to take as far as parts go, but I know what I want to ask for in this rifle.

I want combat accurate shots from 50-600 meters (shouldn't be too hard. Hitting man sized targets at 500 yards all day with iron sights on an M4 is cake)

It has to be able to eat many types of ammo, not saying that it needs to shoot 1/4 MOA with 55gr PMC Bronze ammo, but it should at least be able to cycle it.

It needs to be light, and have a free float rail. Probably gonna get a DD Lite here.

As far as optics are concerned, I'm really only considering the Leupold MR/T line. However, I don't know what's a good power to get. Larue sells the Mk4 2.5-8x36 with their mount for $1300ish. That seems like a great choice...but again, this is new to me. Is it? I have a 10x on my Rem700 but that's a .308 and Im regularly shooting small targets at 500 yards, I don't think I'd be asking for that kind of accuracy from a 5.56 round with the wind we get out here.

Trigger will be a Geissele, and I'll probably put a UBR stock on it.

Noveske or BCM seem to be the front runners, but brand isnt the issue. My main questions are with the barrel. Do I go 1/8 twist? SS barrel or chrome lined? 16" or 18" barrel? What are the pros and cons? Is it just personal preference?

Suggestions?

Cameron
11-20-10, 16:32
I recently went the same route and wanted an 18" SPR type, and got the Leupold, UBR, DD Lite rail etc. I looked at Noveske, Rainier, BCM, DD even Colt barreled uppers, and decided to go with the BCM MK12 Mod 3X-Bravo (DD14) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo3X-p/bcm-urg-mk12-3x%20dd14.htm) which has the excellent 18" BCM SS410 1in8" twist Ion Bond barrel, I like that I could order the upper in the exact configuration I wanted. I ordered mine with the Daniel Defense 14.0 Lite rail, and matching BCM BCG, and it is excellent.

It feeds and functions with everything, all types, and various weights, of 5.56 and .223 ammunition. It is also very accurate, with quality ammo it will produce sub MOA groups. Mine is on a BCM lower but has an LMT 2 stage match trigger. I mounted a Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm in a LaRue mount, although I am probably going to get a MK4 3.5-10 Leupold soon, with an offset mounted Red Dot Sight. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how well the heavier 75-77gr loads handle wind.

BCM MK12 SPR
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4669595880_f7e0ff422a_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1198/5157398752_4ef7250f65_b.jpg

Cameron

TehLlama
11-20-10, 16:39
BCM, Centurion, and Noveske would be the frontrunners - I wound up finding a deal on a used Centurion, but either of those other two would be fantastic.

If you want an 18" SPR, go for it. If you think a 16" Recce style rifle could meet the same goals (a good one is still 600m accurate with 77grSMK) while being a bit handier, then that might work as well (same brands still come to mind)

For optic, the Leupold MR/T (or even LR/T 3.5-10x as Cam mentioned) are a great consideration. Nighforce's 2.5-10x models would be worth a look, though they cost a fair bit more.

I really like the 12.0 Lite handguard, however the URX-II would also be something to consider if an integral front sight is something you're interested in. Cameron's 14.0 still makes me wonder if I want to get a longer handguard, but I'm holding on for now.

Disclaimer: I'm extremely happy with my Centurion Mk12 with 12.0 Lite and Leupold 3-9x ITMR. It sits on an Aero/G&R Lower with a GSSA and UBR.

Eurodriver
11-20-10, 18:55
Very informative posts, I appreciate them both Cameron and TehLlama.

I drooled all over Cameron's pics. I think I'm going to go with 16" and a less-powerful optic though. After seeing a good pic, 18" seems a little too "dedicated" to long range shooting, especially with a LR/T optic on it thats lowest power is 4.5.

What is the weight difference between the URX II and DD Lite? Negligible? I plan on putting a 6-9" harris on the front so I'd like to keep everything else as light as possible.

This is the upper I'm strongly considering, I can't find any reasons not to.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20ddl12%20ib%20b.htm

Cameron
11-21-10, 02:47
I drooled all over Cameron's pics. I think I'm going to go with 16" and a less-powerful optic though.

A 16" precision with the lower powered variable scopes are very very good. This is my Daniel Defense Recce with Leupold MK4 1.5-5

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/5156788911_be43eea073_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4585211700_50d5885572_b.jpg

My buddy just got that BCM upper you linked to, and has the same scope as I have here. If I was putting together a 16" today, I would get the same BCM upper.

Cameron

d90king
11-21-10, 09:55
I have been very happy with the performance of my 18" Larue Stealth in the SPR role. Mine is setup slightly different than some (T1 and 3X on a swivel) but I have found t works very well for my needs. I use mine for shooting steel at known distances from 200-500 meters.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0252.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0259.jpg

Surf
11-21-10, 12:16
UPS ground to Hawaii just means that UPS sends it ground until it hits their main hub then it goes via air of course.

A 1:8 or a 1:7 are your best choices as you will want to be shooting a heavier bullet to begin with for distance. 18" or 16" are good options and I went the 18" route. My personal favorite barrels are the SS Noveske barrels for a precision weapon. How far are you actually shooting?

For optics, IMHO the if you hit 3X on the lower magnification scale that is the max. A lower power is more ideal. Around 8X-10x on the upper side is sufficient. I personally went with a fixed 10X Swarovski and an offset mini red dot as that is what I already had. Works well, but perhaps I might change that out some day.

Definitely get a good aftermarket trigger. The SSA would be an excellent choice here. Maybe even the E version, but I don't own or have not shot one yet.

The UBR stock is heavy, my SPR wears one also. People talk about balance etc, but when you are truly humping a weapon around, weight is weight. Just something to consider if you actually plan on lugging the rifle around a lot.

Since everyone is posting pics, here is mine that I built entirely from parts that I selected. The lower and barrel are Noveske (18" SS SPR). The X300 and mini red dot were not mounted at the time of this picture.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_38081.jpg

Cameron
11-21-10, 16:45
Surf, that looks great.

Cameron

Eurodriver
11-21-10, 18:01
Surf, thats a nice looking rifle. I shoot at kokohead and then once every few months I go to my buddy's property at Molokai and we shoot mongooses (mongeese?) and paper/steel out to 600 yards, thats mainly what this rifle is for. Not a varmint gun, but shooting those long distances. (I have no idea if thats legal or not, if its illegal then we definitely don't do it. But he's as Hawaiian as Kamehameha and they are an invasive species ;) )

I think I am going to go with the following:

BCM 16" SS 1/8 upper with DD Lite 12"
Harris Bipod 6-9"
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 w/ Larue Mount
Geissele SSA

I can build the lower locally so I can bring the upper with me and test things out. I may go with the UBR, but who knows, a VLTOR IMOD may work for me better.

I still don't have a Noveske upper, but I have had such good luck and good quality come out from BCM (which I know Noveske matches, but still...) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My biggest beef with Noveske is they only sell w/ BCG and iron sights. Both of which I have already and don't need, so $925 for a BCM is alot easier to swallow than $1300 on a Noveske with extras that I dont want. If I didn't have BCGs and Troy BUIS's already I'd definitely go with the Noveske.

TurretGunner
11-23-10, 13:41
Once UPS delivers my new BCM upper (UPS takes a week to get here...I still don't know how they do "UPS Ground" to Hawaii from Wisconsin, but thats a different story)

I'm going to start my first SPR build. I have no idea what course of action to take as far as parts go, but I know what I want to ask for in this rifle.

I want combat accurate shots from 50-600 meters (shouldn't be too hard. Hitting man sized targets at 500 yards all day with iron sights on an M4 is cake)

It has to be able to eat many types of ammo, not saying that it needs to shoot 1/4 MOA with 55gr PMC Bronze ammo, but it should at least be able to cycle it.

It needs to be light, and have a free float rail. Probably gonna get a DD Lite here.

As far as optics are concerned, I'm really only considering the Leupold MR/T line. However, I don't know what's a good power to get. Larue sells the Mk4 2.5-8x36 with their mount for $1300ish. That seems like a great choice...but again, this is new to me. Is it? I have a 10x on my Rem700 but that's a .308 and Im regularly shooting small targets at 500 yards, I don't think I'd be asking for that kind of accuracy from a 5.56 round with the wind we get out here.

Trigger will be a Geissele, and I'll probably put a UBR stock on it.

Noveske or BCM seem to be the front runners, but brand isnt the issue. My main questions are with the barrel. Do I go 1/8 twist? SS barrel or chrome lined? 16" or 18" barrel? What are the pros and cons? Is it just personal preference?

Suggestions?

Depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend from aroun 2K for a budget setup to around 4-5K for all top of the line parts. I built my SPR in 2006 when I got back from Iraq. It was literally a dream gun . CLE barrel, Larue 13.2, G Trigger , IOR 2-12, 20MOA rail, SOPOD Stock, Ops Inc Brake. Bought a few cases of blue box 75gr Sierra BTHP from CMP when they were $273 shipped for 1K rounds. Took it out to my local range shooting 600M next to the .308 FNSPR.

And then sold it. It is a very Niche weapon system. If you dont have a need a have disposible cash and are hell bent on it, then go for it. Otherwise get a system in a caliber that takes advantage of the distance you want to shoot. For the same money you can have a much more versitle weapon. Not alot of fun in a 15 pound 5.56. Was a good hunting gun from the prone.

Since you are regularly shooting "small targets" at 500yards, and 500 yard COM shots are easy with an M4. Not sure what you mean by combat accurate. All this could be achived with a 16" middy that would weigh and cost half as much. SPR/ Light is mutualy exsculsive.

Just so you know. Highpower guys shoot service rifles out to 600m and guess what round they use? They use 5.56 over 7.62 when shooting for groups.

Chrome lined and target rifle are also mutulay excuslive (yes i know FN SPR are chrome lined, but its the exception, not the rule).

You need to decide what you want and narrow it down.

Belmont31R
11-23-10, 13:55
Surf, thats a nice looking rifle. I shoot at kokohead and then once every few months I go to my buddy's property at Molokai and we shoot mongooses (mongeese?) and paper/steel out to 600 yards, thats mainly what this rifle is for. Not a varmint gun, but shooting those long distances. (I have no idea if thats legal or not, if its illegal then we definitely don't do it. But he's as Hawaiian as Kamehameha and they are an invasive species ;) )

I think I am going to go with the following:

BCM 16" SS 1/8 upper with DD Lite 12"
Harris Bipod 6-9"
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 w/ Larue Mount
Geissele SSA

I can build the lower locally so I can bring the upper with me and test things out. I may go with the UBR, but who knows, a VLTOR IMOD may work for me better.

I still don't have a Noveske upper, but I have had such good luck and good quality come out from BCM (which I know Noveske matches, but still...) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My biggest beef with Noveske is they only sell w/ BCG and iron sights. Both of which I have already and don't need, so $925 for a BCM is alot easier to swallow than $1300 on a Noveske with extras that I dont want. If I didn't have BCGs and Troy BUIS's already I'd definitely go with the Noveske.

When I bought my last Noveske upper I got it from Gun Gallery in FL, and had them take the irons off. I think if you bought from a dealer they'd be more prone to working with you on getting exactly what you want, Gun Gallery can put different rails or whatever on there, too.

I was in a similar boat since I wanted a Noveske upper just not with the SWS rail and Troy irons. They took a basic Noveske upper, and built my upper with it. Ended up saving me a lot of money and I still got the free Noveske blem lower.

TurretGunner
11-23-10, 14:18
For the money, You cannot beat the WOA SPR barrels. Around 250 for a SS match barrel. Can build a very nice upper with FFR for under 900/1000.

pennzoil
11-23-10, 16:15
For the money, You cannot beat the WOA SPR barrels. Around 250 for a SS match barrel. Can build a very nice upper with FFR for under 900/1000.

I've had bad luck with my 16" 1/7 twist SS match barrel from WOA and WOA customer service. I wouldn't recommend anything WOA from the experience I've had.

Mega
11-23-10, 17:34
LaRue Stealth 18"barrel, 13.2" quad rail, BC 1.0, and a LaRue billet lower.
Timney 3# trigger, Harris bipod, A2 stock... accurate as hell.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0009_2/web.jpg?ver=12900117590001

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0015/web.jpg?ver=12900117610001

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0016_2/web.jpg?ver=12900117640001