PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision AR15

irishpunk
11-21-10, 02:35
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/irishpunk1/Guns11062010001.jpg

This is my Aero Precision AR15. Any thoughts on this weapon, would be much appreciated. The specifics of this weapon are. . .

Aero Precision (Tacoma,WA) "COP"upper/lower
Tapco stock
Troy Ind back-up iron sights
DPMS parts kit (lower)
Wilson Combat nickel plated bolt carrier
Wilson Combat over sized bolt release
EOtech 512

richdkim77
11-21-10, 04:41
What do you plan to use this gun for? For starters, I would have used a higher quality LPK and a BCM BCG.

bkb0000
11-21-10, 04:52
what kind of thoughts are you looking for? what are YOUR thoughts on your gun?

TehLlama
11-21-10, 11:08
I really would like your impressions on the COP as well.

Eric
11-21-10, 11:18
Need at the start of your image link and at the end.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/irishpunk1/Guns11062010001.jpg?t=1290327725"]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/irishpunk1/Guns11062010001.jpg?t=1290327725

durus5995
11-21-10, 14:30
I built my Areo lower with a DPMS parts kit during the middle to later part of the post election panic and it has been pretty good. I will admit that it hasnt been ran all that hard yet. As I am waiting for some classes top pop up around my area.

If you are going to be running the gun real hard or as a home defence gun you might want to check some stuff. I am not familiar with the Wilson Combat BCG but, basically just make sure that your gas key on your bolt carrier is staked down properly. This goes a long way to increase long term reliability. If you decide to get another carrier group go with BCM and keep the other as a spare because having a spare bolt carrier group is just a nice thing to have when things start breaking down the road. The only other thing I would watch out for is the tapco stock. I havent heard a lot of great things about this when I was researching my own build not so long ago.

But hey its all just internet opinions and it comes down to what you think. Just go out and shoot the dag gone thing and have a blast.:D

bkb0000
11-21-10, 14:45
since the OP hasn't piped up yet, i'll just throw in my thoughts- the things wilson combat seems to be doing well right now are their triggers and... hmm.. their triggers. i would NOT trust their bolts- so at the very least, i'd order up an LMT bolt and keep the wilson as an emergency-only spare. when i say bolt, i mean just the bolt... the carrier and other parts should be fine, provided the key is properly staked, as mentiond above.

the DPMS lpk you've got in there isn't ideal- mostly because of how crappily inconsistent their FCGs are (triggers). the rest of the LPK should be fine, so long as nothing breaks.. the fact that you were able to install it with, apparently, no problems, indicates that you probably "got a good one."

the tapco stock isnt ideal.. the receiver extension is likely thin and out of spec, meaning it's weak and wont accept better stocks. the stock itself is probably OK, but knowing the low quality of tapco, it might break...? who knows.

the upper receiver you chose is pretty cool... we haven't really seen any of them around here yet, but aero does good work, so i have high expectations. i like that you can pull the bottom rail, and swap rail pieces...

what barrel did you use? that's important.

sparky241
11-21-10, 16:17
i would lose the tapco stuff. its kinda thin and breaks easy. i really do like the cop upper but man is it expensive.

irishpunk
11-25-10, 03:44
The barrel I used is a Black Hole 16" 1:8 twist barrel. The Aero Precision COP upper has done nothing but good for me, the left, right and bottom rails are all interchangable with full rails, half rail and half flat, and all flat inserts. One thing I don't like about it, though, is the proprietary barrel nut. The only time I've had problems is when I was using a Magpul B.A.D. Lever, the bolt wouldn't lock open. Since then I've replaced it with a Wilson Combat oversized bolt catch, and it works perfect every time. I'm going to upgrade the stock and buffer tube (and its internals), I wanted something to get me shooting in the meantime. The FCG seems to be doing well, it goes bang when I pull the trigger and it's decently smooth. Between dry firing it and a friend smoothing out the sear and trigger, the trigger feels fairly smooth without too much creep. I'm planning on replacing the FCG with a higher quality one, perhaps a Rock River Arms trigger kit. I've heard mixed reviews on the DPMS lower parts kits, anything from "I've broken eight trigger pins" to "I've never had one fail, even after thousands of rounds."

By the way, I drive truck for a living, and I don't find a lot of time to reply right away on forums. A little patience would be appreciated. :)

ursus.peracto
11-25-10, 07:31
Looks like you picked a stone-cold, dead-nutz, tack-driver barrel! :p

TehLlama
11-25-10, 14:58
I was excited to hear how you liked the COP - sounds like it was worth the wait, that looks great.

11-25-10, 15:21
Run it hard in a good class and then get back to us.