PDA

View Full Version : Got my SOT

C4IGrant
08-06-07, 17:11
So what should I stock? Am already a SF dealer so their cans are a given. What are some other popular cans?

Thanks for the input.

C4

SHIVAN
08-06-07, 17:37
SWR and YHM.

sjauch
08-06-07, 17:37
Glad to hear that. I have no input for you since I live in a shithole!

Robb Jensen
08-06-07, 18:35
Ops Inc.

S-1
08-06-07, 18:43
Knights Armament.

SHIVAN
08-06-07, 18:55
Knights Armament.

If Grant can reliably keep KAC suppressors in STOCK, he will be a popular dealer.

Colt6920
08-06-07, 20:25
Does this mean I can get a 416 uppper:eek:

Robb Jensen
08-06-07, 20:27

Not unless there is a G&R Tactical Police Dept.................HK told me that they are direct to LE and the GOV'T now for 416s and 417s and not available through LE distributors.

rob_s
08-06-07, 20:37
I agree with Shivan, YHM seem to be a very good lower price can. I should have a 9mm Wraith on order shortly to try out.

Aubrey
08-06-07, 20:38
Congratulations Grant.

carshooter
08-06-07, 21:07
Grant,

Gemtech! All my dealings with them have been exemplary.

C4IGrant
08-07-07, 07:59

Yes it does, just as soon as you right me the check!

My local sheriff is doing the dealer sample letter right now and am just trying to find a good H&K dealer to go through to purchase them.

C4

C4IGrant
08-07-07, 07:59
Congratulations Grant.

Thanks!

C4

tiger seven
08-07-07, 08:55
Congratulations, Grant.

I'm really beginning to wish I lived in Ohio. Your store would be my one-stop shop for everything. :)

This talk of HK416 uppers has my interest piqued. Are you saying you may actually be getting some? Or am I hallucinating from sleep deprivation and completely misreading your post?

Derek

C4IGrant
08-07-07, 09:05
Congratulations, Grant.

I'm really beginning to wish I lived in Ohio. Your store would be my one-stop shop for everything. :)

This talk of HK416 uppers has my interest piqued. Are you saying you may actually be getting some? Or am I hallucinating from sleep deprivation and completely misreading your post?

Derek

We would like to have more Pro AR people near us. Most of the locals want nothing to do with our store.

I will be buying 2 10.5's and 2 14.5 416's via a dealer sample letter. I also have another PD that is interested in doing some trading for uppers so we shall see. Any way you slice it though, I won't see anything for many months. :(

C4

tiger seven
08-07-07, 09:40
We would like to have more Pro AR people near us. Most of the locals want nothing to do with our store.

I will be buying 2 10.5's and 2 14.5 416's via a dealer sample letter. I also have another PD that is interested in doing some trading for uppers so we shall see. Any way you slice it though, I won't see anything for many months. :(

C4

Thanks. I hope that deal works out for you.

I'd love to visit your store. Hopefully my brother and I will be taking a little road trip up to see the place soon. He almost fainted when I told him about the "everything-cool-for-the-AR-tactical-superstore-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-in-Ohio." :D

Derek

flanntastic
08-07-07, 12:15
grant where is OHIO are you at?

C4IGrant
08-07-07, 13:07
grant where is OHIO are you at?

We are just sound of Canton (about an 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh).

Where are you located.

C4

flanntastic
08-07-07, 14:11
in Cincy, so not real close

C4IGrant
08-07-07, 14:17
in Cincy, so not real close

Was just there for a S&W class and shot at the Cincy PD's range (very nice). Your about 3.5 hours from me.

C4

Impact
08-07-07, 22:08
Not unless there is a G&R Tactical Police Dept.................HK told me that they are direct to LE and the GOV'T now for 416s and 417s and not available through LE distributors.

who makes the HK416 supp ? is that B&T from switzerland ?

C4IGrant
08-08-07, 08:10
who makes the HK416 supp ? is that B&T from switzerland ?

Don't know for sure. The rail doesn't look like something B&T would make (to me).

C4

Impact
08-08-07, 10:35
was interested in the suppressor. Usually B&T makes the ones for the HK since they are closeby in Europe.

Hootiewho
08-09-07, 16:10
Hey Grant, if you decide to carry Surefire cans, could you get me some info on the .338 LM can they are coming out with. I am in the market for a .338 LM can but haven't made up my mind on which one. I herd the AAC Titan at the silencertest shoot and was very impressed, but I would be more interested in a muzzle brake/ QD type setup like the Ops 12th Model. Let me know if you find out anything on the SF can

C4IGrant
08-09-07, 20:13
Hey Grant, if you decide to carry Surefire cans, could you get me some info on the .338 LM can they are coming out with. I am in the market for a .338 LM can but haven't made up my mind on which one. I herd the AAC Titan at the silencertest shoot and was very impressed, but I would be more interested in a muzzle brake/ QD type setup like the Ops 12th Model. Let me know if you find out anything on the SF can

Already got the SF paperwork filled out and am sending it in. Will ask about the .338 can.

To be honest, one of the things that interests me greatly when comparing cans is the MB or FS the companies use. SF makes the best ones from what I have seen to date (YMMV). Their MB556K is outstanding.

C4

Nathan_Bell
08-09-07, 22:00

C4

The turkey hunters with the broken shotgun and the very confused look on their face was a grin worthy encounter though :p

I would suggest getting a large sign made for behind the shelf.

"Yes, that is a real suppressor.
No, they are not illegal.
Yes, we sell them here.
No, they do not make one that is Hollywood quiet.
Yes, you have to pay for them before we send the paperwork in.
No, I can't let you take it home before I get the paperwork back."

Don Robison
08-09-07, 22:13
We would like to have more Pro AR people near us. Most of the locals want nothing to do with our store. C4

That sucks, I'd kill to have a store like yours nearby. The one C3 shop has a strangle hold on the area. He charges more for C3 transfers than anyone else I've seen and his prices are such that if you don't buy from him, by the time you pay his transfer fees it costs you the same as if you had just ordered from him.
I also forgot to thank you for the fast delivery a couple weeks ago on my LaRue goodies. Thanks

Robb Jensen
08-09-07, 22:49
The turkey hunters with the broken shotgun and the very confused look on their face was a grin worthy encounter though :p

I would suggest getting a large sign made for behind the shelf.

"Yes, that is a real suppressor.
No, they are not illegal.
Yes, we sell them here.
No, they do not make one that is Hollywood quiet.
Yes, you have to pay for them before we send the paperwork in.
No, I can't let you take it home before I get the paperwork back."

You'll also need a sign which reads:

NO, we don't have any green infrareds. :confused:

YES, these are new guns, the package was opened because all firearms must be logged in when we receive them per Federal law. No we will not violate Federal law at your request for an unopened box. :eek:

YES, many new guns are test fired at the factory. NO, we don't clean new guns.

"Do you ask the clerk at the grocery store if that's their best price on milk/eggs etc? :rolleyes:

NO, I'm not on commission, I make the same money whether or not you buy anything.

NO, We don't sale the Taurus 1911 nor Beretta Tomcats anymore, because we've had to send 100% of them back for various reasons. This loses us money and we're not in the business to lose money.

YES, the Glock costs more than a Taurus 24/7, the Glock also happens to work.

C4IGrant
08-10-07, 08:06
That sucks, I'd kill to have a store like yours nearby. The one C3 shop has a strangle hold on the area. He charges more for C3 transfers than anyone else I've seen and his prices are such that if you don't buy from him, by the time you pay his transfer fees it costs you the same as if you had just ordered from him.
I also forgot to thank you for the fast delivery a couple weeks ago on my LaRue goodies. Thanks

I got a couple good guys near us that love the black rifle and frequent the store (and this forum), but they are few and far between. We also have two local deputies that virtually live in the store (which is cool).

It sucks when you have a class III like that. I have not decided what I am going to charge to transfers yet. What do you think is a fair rate?

C4

C4IGrant
08-10-07, 08:07
You'll also need a sign which reads:

NO, we don't have any green infrareds. :confused:

YES, these are new guns, the package was opened because all firearms must be logged in when we receive them per Federal law. No we will not violate Federal law at your request for an unopened box. :eek:

YES, many new guns are test fired at the factory. NO, we don't clean new guns.

"Do you ask the clerk at the grocery store if that's their best price on milk/eggs etc? :rolleyes:

NO, I'm not on commission, I make the same money whether or not you buy anything.

NO, We don't sale the Taurus 1911 nor Beretta Tomcats anymore, because we've had to send 100% of them back for various reasons. This loses us money and we're not in the business to lose money.

YES, the Glock costs more than a Taurus 24/7, the Glock also happens to work.

That is funny. Had a guy that wanted a Colt 6920, but didn't want me to open the box as he liked them "NIB" as it improves their value.

C4

Mike729
08-10-07, 08:57
I have not decided what I am going to charge to transfers yet. What do you think is a fair rate?

C4

Grant, in Ft Lauderdale, I've dealt with 2 C3/SOT's.

One charges $50.00 per C3 transfer, which is on the low side, I believe.

Another (actual storefront) charges $100.00, which is about the average, however, if he has the item you're transferring in stock, and you did not buy it from him, then the Class III transfer costs $200.00.

Now you'll be able to provide some can options along with those 9mm SBR uppers, that would be interesting.

rob_s
08-10-07, 09:17
A local Class III here (Only the Best Firearms) has some great "yes, this is legal" signs at their shop and at gun shows.

shark31
08-10-07, 09:29
Grant,
Since you will be a stocking dealer, I wouldn't charge a thing for the transfer.

If some guy buys a can from someone else and you complete the transfer and treat them right, who do you think they will always buy their cans from in the future, the guy they got a deal from on a can out of state, or that super awesome dealer right in their own state that did the transfer for free and has a great selection and prices to boot?

If you don't nickle and dime a guy on his transfer, when he comes to pick up his can and sees your inventory, you WILL get repeat business.

rob_s
08-10-07, 10:00
Grant, in Ft Lauderdale, I've dealt with 2 C3/SOT's.

One charges $50.00 per C3 transfer, which is on the low side, I believe.
Sounds like Bob. He does all of my transfers, CIII and non.

Another (actual storefront) charges $100.00, which is about the average, however, if he has the item you're transferring in stock, and you did not buy it from him, then the Class III transfer costs $200.00.
Sounds like OTB. They have the same 100% markup for something already in their store on non-NFA transfers as well, if they do them at all.

Now you'll be able to provide some can options along with those 9mm SBR uppers, that would be interesting.
Yes, where are those 9mm SBR uppers? :D

rob_s
08-10-07, 10:02
Grant,
Since you will be a stocking dealer, I wouldn't charge a thing for the transfer.

If some guy buys a can from someone else and you complete the transfer and treat them right, who do you think they will always buy their cans from in the future, the guy they got a deal from on a can out of state, or that super awesome dealer right in their own state that did the transfer for free and has a great selection and prices to boot?

If you don't nickle and dime a guy on his transfer, when he comes to pick up his can and sees your inventory, you WILL get repeat business.

I think that most gun owners will just continue to abuse him and get their free transfers.

CIII transfers are much more of a headache for a dealer and any customer worth having is going to acknowledge this and be willing to pay for it.

If he has the great selection and prices, people will buy from him anyway. If I had a local stocking dealer that had what I wanted and sold under MSRP I'd never order another can from out of town.

Renegade
08-10-07, 10:11
What do you think is a fair rate?
C4

I think it varies with the size and value of the gun. If I was transferring BAR SN 0001 it would cost a whole lot more than a SWD M11-Nine.

Mike729
08-10-07, 11:10
Sounds like Bob. He does all of my transfers, CIII and non.

Sounds like OTB. They have the same 100% markup for something already in their store on non-NFA transfers as well, if they do them at all.

Yes, where are those 9mm SBR uppers? :D

You got it! I use Bob for all xfers as well. Bob is not only the closest to where I am, but I like the privacy factor of not having to go to some gun/pawn shop where everyone wants to handle your stuff etc.

Vito did have some KAC M4QD cans to drool over last time I was at OTB, though!

ETA - on the 9mm cans, please have non-AAC options. I'd like a product that I don't need Ms Cleo or a crystal ball to find out if they'll even reply to my emails let alone where the product is.

Don Robison
08-10-07, 13:47
I got a couple good guys near us that love the black rifle and frequent the store (and this forum), but they are few and far between. We also have two local deputies that virtually live in the store (which is cool).

It sucks when you have a class III like that. I have not decided what I am going to charge to transfers yet. What do you think is a fair rate?

C4

From what I've seen $75 is a pretty fair, $50 seems on the low side but might "pull" a few more people if there is another C3 dealer within driving distance, $100+ starts getting in the range where I will pay for my transfer and take my item. I typically buy other stuff when I'm in a store. Anything from a box of ammo to another gun. It just depends on the service, act like you're doing me a favor by overcharging me and I'm done, treat me like a valued customer and I'll buy more, send more customers your way and try to buy from you before I order online next time. FWIW most of my transfers are for items I can't get locally things like S&W 681's and NIB Security Sixes. I've had a dealer get huffy with me because I didn't buy from him. He didn't have much to say when I told him I'd gladly buy all of the 681's he had in stock at whatever price he had on the tag. I haven't been back in his shop.
As for the doubling the price if you have it in stock. Personally I'd never buy anything from a dealer who did it. If he had a reasonable price to begin with I would have bought it from him. I always buy from the local guys if they can price an item within $50-$75 of what it will cost me to order it and pay the transfer fees. I don't mind spending a little extra to get it locally, but it pisses me off to be charged double for a transfer or above MSRP.

Nathan_Bell
08-10-07, 15:53
What do you think is a fair rate?

C4

The C3 I dealt with on my M16 charged $100. He did all the forms, etc. All I needed to do was have the sheriff sign where the little Post-It saying "CLEO signature", then I had to sign it where it said, "Sign here Nate".

SHIVAN
08-10-07, 17:02
I've been charged from $0 to $150 per transfer for Title II weapons.

Usually, when I buy an item from that dealer, the dealer has already built their profit margin into the item -- so there is no additional charge.

When I have stuff transferred in, it's up to them.

I'd say $50-$60 is a fair rate per transfer -- from the consumer viewpoint.

C4IGrant
08-10-07, 17:19
Thanks guys. I charge $20 for FFL transfers and think $50 for class 3 transfers is fair.

C4

Don Robison
08-10-07, 17:24
Thanks guys. I charge $20 for FFL transfers and think $50 for class 3 transfers is fair.

C4

You da' ma, ever think about moving to FL:D I know a dealer who could use some competition.

C4IGrant
08-11-07, 09:58
You da' ma, ever think about moving to FL:D I know a dealer who could use some competition.

LOL, no I have not thought about moving to FL. Ever thought about moving to OH? :D

C4

one
08-11-07, 15:32
Just to add this in a bit late in the thread...My C3 has quoted me $50 for suppressor transfers that I have sent in to him. So I think you're right in line with the general market.

vinesr6
08-15-07, 20:39
So can you order Surefire flash hiders or brakes?

C4IGrant
08-16-07, 07:11
So can you order Surefire flash hiders or brakes?

Sure can. I currently stock the SF MB556K (which is my personal favorite).

We also offer member discounts on SF cans, FS and brakes!

C4

TimP
08-16-07, 19:56

C4

too bad my local C3 charges 200 for transfers if not bought from him.

vinesr6
08-16-07, 20:03

C4

Sweet, what's my member price. I can't find it on your site. Thanks.

C4IGrant
08-17-07, 07:08
too bad my local C3 charges 200 for transfers if not bought from him.

If your looking for SF cans, the discount if offer on them might actually make that $200 dollar transer much more reasonable. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
08-17-07, 07:09
Sweet, what's my member price. I can't find it on your site. Thanks.

Check your PM.

C4

Stainless
08-19-07, 20:33
I got a couple good guys near us that love the black rifle and frequent the store (and this forum), but they are few and far between.

Aww, you're making me blush.

C4IGrant
08-20-07, 07:35
Aww, you're making me blush.

I wasn't talking about you. :eek:

J/K :D

C4

S_D
08-24-07, 14:05
How much barrel do you need for the mount on a 7.62 surefire suppressor?

EOD
09-09-07, 19:16
I haven't had done business with Grant yet...but I intend to. Seems like a fair and knowledgable guy.

With all this talk of suppressors...What do you guys recommend for a G19?

CobraCutterPB
09-14-07, 09:41
I bought a 5.56 noveske/larue SPR upper from grant over a year ago. He was a pleasure to deal with. He even talked to me late in the day beacuse I was still in Iraq ( 8 hour time difference). I would not hessitate to buy from him again. I just wished more local dealers had the right gun dealer attitude and didnt have the hotter then shit/God complex.

About the g19. There are special 9mm Cans that have comp's in them so they a realiable with glocks. YHM and Gemtech both make nice 9mm cans that wont break the bank. My personal Fav is Gemtech for kick ass prices, Great Products, and hands down best Customer Service in the Can industry.

GIFFMANN
09-14-07, 11:24
Grant,
Are the Surefire Flash Suppressors/adapters on your website?

C4IGrant
09-14-07, 12:44
Grant,
Are the Surefire Flash Suppressors/adapters on your website?

Not yet. Will get some up shortly though.

C4

The Archangel
09-14-07, 13:28
OPS Inc. 12th in 5.56mm & 7.62mm
OPS Inc. 15th
OPS Inc. 16th
AAC SPR/M4
AAC M4-2000 Mod 7
AAC SCAR-H
AAC M4-1000
AAC 416-SD
AAC EVO in 9mm
SWR Trident in 9mm with 3-Lug Version
SWR Omega
SRT Hurricane XL
Plenty of AAC Iconel Blackout FH
Plenty of OPS Inc. Muzzle Brake / Collar / Flash Hider

Razoreye
09-23-07, 15:01
I don't see why transfers can't be free or $10 max. Seems to me you'd get more business that way.

:confused:

C4IGrant
09-23-07, 15:10
I don't see why transfers can't be free or $10 max. Seems to me you'd get more business that way.

:confused:

Everyones time is worth something. My transfer rates are some of the lowest in the country.
The question I always like to ask people that think rates are too high is, do you work for free or do you expect your employer to pay you?

C4

jackinfl
09-23-07, 16:45
What does SOT stand for? I can tell it means that you can sell or be a dealer for class 3 weapons. But what is it an acronym for?

Thanks.

By the way, don't ever consider moving here. I had a case that led me to Akron, OH and I met some of the nicest good spirited guys I have ever met. You said Canton right? I flew in and out of your airport. The surrounding town/area looked like nice land.

C4IGrant
09-24-07, 08:08
What does SOT stand for? I can tell it means that you can sell or be a dealer for class 3 weapons. But what is it an acronym for?

Thanks.

By the way, don't ever consider moving here. I had a case that led me to Akron, OH and I met some of the nicest good spirited guys I have ever met. You said Canton right? I flew in and out of your airport. The surrounding town/area looked like nice land.

It stands for Special Occupational Tax.

I am just south of Canton/Akron area and have no plans on moving. ;)

C4

Drummer
10-02-07, 14:20
Ok guys, who's this Bob guy and how can he be reached? :D

I'm relatively new to the SoFL area and haven't found a dealer yet.