PDA

View Full Version : A "Piece" of Grandpa

bgoode
11-21-10, 14:18
A few weeks back my uncle asked me if I had a Glock I wasnt using. I told him I did have a 2nd Gen G19 that was my "Extra" Glock. Not my main carry pieced or my backup carry Glocks. I offered it for sale to him WAY cheap since he is family. He asked me if I was interested in a trade for a S&W .357.

He brought the Smith by and we were talking. I told him to just use the Glock and Id have the Smith until he wasn't using the Glock any longer. Well, he is a trade or not kind a guy. I asked where he got the Smith from and he said my Granddad bought it from someone and gave it to him. I WAS SOLD!

Just Cool to ME that I have a "Piece" of Granddad in my Gun collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/46d49ec9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/69d6be89.jpg

BigDog
11-21-10, 14:24
Very cool! As I recall, my Grandpa had a Colt 1903 that he'd carry when he worked for FHA as an appraiser in some of the, um, more interesting areas where he had to go. Sure wish I had it, but no idea what happened to it. He probably sold it off or gave it away when he retired.

D.O.B.A
11-21-10, 15:45
......Very nice! I just gave my brother a Smith & Wesson .357 (Model 66-2) that belonged to our father for making Sgt. with his department.

Black Jeep
11-21-10, 16:11
Very cool. I likely won't see any of my grandfather's firearms on account of family members horse trading them for junk.

Alpha Sierra
11-21-10, 16:16
Is that a nickel plated Model 19 or a highly polished Model 66?

rat31465
11-22-10, 07:00
Kinda like having your Granddad looking out for you.
It was a good trade all around...of course being a wheel gun guy I am kinda biased.

ThirdWatcher
11-22-10, 07:26
There's nothing better than a win-win situation. :)

HeavyDuty
11-22-10, 07:41
Nice! One of my most cherished possessions is my Grandfather's K-22.

Seraph
11-22-10, 10:23
Very nice, Mr. Goode! A little more than a year ago, I inherited a Smith & Wesson Mod. 66, that was my father's. :(

I'll never let it go.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Mod66_Right_web.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Mod66_Left_web.jpg

gunnut284
11-22-10, 11:25
I have my grandfather's S&W 36 (3") and my great grandfather's .22 rifle and 12g shotgun. My grandfather gave me the two long guns a few years ago (I'm the lone gun guy in the family) and gave me the S&W earlier this year. I gave him my KelTec P32 (I showed him a bunch of different choices and would have given him anything he wanted and thats what he wanted) and he gave me the S&W. I would have just given him the KelTec but he insisted I take the Smith.

chriskc04
11-22-10, 11:56
VERY cool. I have an old S&W 17-3 from an uncle who passed. I also have an old 6" Ruger security six from a very close friend. That was actually the first handgun I ever fired.

Always a cool thing to have some personal history in your safe.

bgoode
11-23-10, 07:14
It's a Nickle plated 19-5

Is that good? :)

Seraph
11-23-10, 07:39
It's a Nickle plated 19-5

Is that good? :)

It's outstanding.

xray 99
11-23-10, 08:12
My late uncle was a real outdoorsman but owned only two handguns; a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine and the one I lusted after - a 4" .22 Colt Diamondback. He gave the Colt to his son, who sold it or traded it away years ago. Now I wonder what will become of his matched set of Browning Auto shotguns......oh well.

Seraph
11-23-10, 08:29
My late uncle was a real outdoorsman but owned only two handguns; a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine and the one I lusted after - a 4" .22 Colt Diamondback. He gave the Colt to his son, who sold it or traded it away years ago. Now I wonder what will become of his matched set of Browning Auto shotguns......oh well.

I just can't understand selling off your father's guns. :confused:

Spiffums
11-23-10, 10:27
I wish I had the coil off of great grand pappy's ole still........ they said it was some of the best. But he took the secret to the grave with him.

bgoode
11-23-10, 15:53
Im thinking this will be the last gun I ever were to part with. Not that I plan on partimg with any I have now :)

Mark/MO
11-23-10, 18:29
Im thinking this will be the last gun I ever were to part with. Not that I plan on partimg with any I have now :)

I think it's great that you have something that was his, something that obviously means a great deal to you.

My grandfather only talked of owning one gun in his life, a Colt rifle. He traded it for a pair of shoes during the depression. :(

Jake'sDad
11-26-10, 15:22
I just can't understand selling off your father's guns. :confused:

Years ago working in a gun store, young guys would come in all the time trying to trade or sell Grampa's or Dad's gun. I always tried to talk them out of it, (as long as no one could overhear me.... ;)..) and occasionally I was successful. I hope they still have them, and appreciate the kid behind the counter who talked them out of it.

bigghoss
11-26-10, 21:44
several years ago I got my hands on a beat up old smith 19-3 4" barrel. my dad had one like it when he was a cop and hounded me to sell it to him from the day I brought it home. about a year ago I acquired and nice ruger gp100 from a widow who needed money and the GP better suited my needs as a woods gun so I let my dad "hang on to" my smith 19. if I ever get it back from him it'll get rebuilt and refinished and will end up and heirloom piece for sure, but not a safe queen!

rat31465
11-26-10, 21:48
I think it's great that you have something that was his, something that obviously means a great deal to you.

My grandfather only talked of owning one gun in his life, a Colt rifle. He traded it for a pair of shoes during the depression. :(

Still a neat story and a good memory to have....My Grandpa Wiggins owned an 1873 Winchester which my older Brother ended up loosing in a pawn shop...he didn't tell any of us until it was too late...I have tried for years to find and buy this heirloom back.