PDA

View Full Version : What do you always keep in your vehicle?

eo500
11-21-10, 14:19
I'm interested to hear what items everyone keeps in their truck or car at all times. I have a truck and a car, I usually drive the car (better gas mileage), but would probably use the truck for a BOV. I'm currently trying to get the truck set up for normal and possibly emergency use. My car's "emergency" kit includes a basic tool kit with flashlight, jumper cables, a small first aid kit, a change of clothes including extra socks, boots, coat and a blanket. Right now, under the back seat of the truck (extended cab), I have a basic tool kit with flashlight, tie downs, the trailer hitch, jumper cables, bolt cutters, a tarp, a chain, and a tow strap and my snow brush.
I'm limited on space under the seat, so I know that I'm not going to be able to have everything I need at all times, and my go-bag has many other essentials. I'm thinking of adding an entrenching tool to both vehicles, and a change of clothes for the truck as well. I'd like to keep a small supply of water in each vehicle, but with the Ohio winter approaching, I'm concerned about freezing water breaking the bottles. If anyone has suggestions about that I'd like to hear it.
Is there anything I'm missing here? Do you have anything else that you keep in your vehicle that you consider a "must have" for every-day driving, general preparedness, or SHTF scenarios? I appreciate your input.

NeoNeanderthal
11-21-10, 15:33
As a survival instructor I never go anywhere without a knife and a lighter. I would definitely include a strong sheath knife and a reliable source for starting fires in your vehicles.

eo500
11-21-10, 15:57
Thanks, I have a multi-tool in the glovebox, but a larger fixed-blade in the tool box would be a good addition to my small folding knife that I always carry with me.

What kind of lighter do you recommend, something like a Zippo or just a cheap bic lighter?

rattlesnake
11-21-10, 16:00
Work Truck:cz82, extra mag, blanket, jacket and tools.

Car:sig p225 p6 extra mag, blanket, jacket, tools, and AAA card :sarcastic:

And of course flashlights and jumper cables in both.

NeoNeanderthal
11-21-10, 16:48
I prefer the no-name clear bodied gas station lighters. They have adjustable flame and can be dried out in less then 10 minutes if dunked. Plus they are cheap so you can buy a pack at the dollar store and stash them around. Cotton balls and petroleum jelly are easy tinder, throw in a baggy or film canister and if your lips are chapped they will help with that in a pinch!

usmcvet
11-21-10, 19:17
Zippos are cool but if you're like me they dry out and don't work when you need them. The clear lighters with the adjustable flame is better.

I have some small hand tools, tow chain, tow straps, tie down straps an MRE several lighters. A few spare Glock mags. Several flashlights some 550 cord.

If you want to store water just do not fill it full and it should not burst. Test it out in your freezer.

eo500
11-21-10, 20:30
That's good advice, I have 550 cord in my bug-out-bag, but having some in my tool bag would be a good idea too, there are so many uses for it. I'll be picking up some lighters tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good source on entrenching tools? Should I go to the local Army-Navy store, or order one online? I'd rather not spend $50/shovel unless the cheaper ones are useless.

Jerik1m4
11-21-10, 21:22
I feel fairly paranoid after reading these first few responses.

I keep basically a BOB type pack in my car with some necessities,
several methods of firestarting, a couple of MREs, several bottles of
water, a change of clothes, several pair of socks, a small toiletries kit(
toothpaste, brush, deoderant,) a good fixed blade knife, 550 cord,
flashlight with extra batteries, roll of duct tape, roll of TP in ziplock, and a Glock entrenching tool.

Then theres the guns. Always have my Glock 19gen4 and sometimes

my Ruger LCR, My Sabre m4(in TN we are allowed to carry shotgun

or rifle in vehicle provided no chambered round but loaded mags ok,

with carry permit of course). Then a handful of loaded mags for the rifle and a couple for the Glock.

Also a small tool kit, after all its not all preparing for SHTF.....sometimes shit actually breaks.....

Jerik1m4
11-21-10, 21:28
That's good advice, I have 550 cord in my bug-out-bag, but having some in my tool bag would be a good idea too, there are so many uses for it. I'll be picking up some lighters tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good source on entrenching tools? Should I go to the local Army-Navy store, or order one online? I'd rather not spend $50/shovel unless the cheaper ones are useless.

A friend of mine had one of the cheap surplus store ones and he didn't like it, I bought one of the Glock ones and have used it camping on several occasions honestly best 50 bucks I've spent in a long time, It's compact when closed very durable and light weight I liked it so much I bought 2 more 1 is a gift though.

eo500
11-22-10, 23:13
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to start considering the Glock e-tool. Do you have any experience with the Gerber, SOG, or the new GI e-tools?

Keith E.
11-23-10, 12:49
What do you always keep in your vehicle?

Water.

Keith

hatidua
11-23-10, 19:12
always in both Jeeps:

water
1" wide roll of cloth medical tape
band-aids
knife
multiple lighters
toilet paper
LED headlamp
WARM sleeping bag (from Nov-Apr)
insulated gloves

1_click_off
11-24-10, 09:37
I carry a toolbag full of hand tools, put the most useable in a small Klien bag if I can't pack the big one.

Leatherman

Fixed blade knife

Change of clothes

Tolettries (spelling)

12 air compressor and a tire plug kit.

couple of MRE type meals

Rachet straps, 550

small tarp

and of course a lead thrower

Also have a stick of JB weld

Tangotag
11-25-10, 01:45
Guns and BOBs are thrown in as needed.

Winter is here it's cold and there is already snow that will stay until spring hits.

Standard On-board stuff kept in vehicle.
Thin Jacket
Usually an extra skull hat and winter gloves.
Snow scaper w/brush.

All this fits behind the rear seat in a 2 dr Hardtop Jeep Wrangler, which is not very big.
In a 50 ammo can:
First Aid Kit
Fire Starting Kit
100 MPH tape
550 Cord
Fixed blade knife
Spare Serpentine Belt
Rachet Strap

In a GI tool bag:
Wheel chocks
Tool Kit (has room for expansion, adding duplicates as I find out what I use doing repairs)
Mechanic Gloves
(2) Recovery point Shackles
Towel

(2) Wool Blankets
Jumper Cables
Mini-Spade shovel (fixed version of an E-tool)
Hudson Bay Axe
Sven Saw
Stock bottle Jack, under passenger seat.
Hi-Lift Jack

Full sized spare, mounted outside.

npmako
12-26-10, 14:03
Everything.....I have a single passenger Yukon

2-BPM
12-26-10, 16:30
after being in a few vehicle accidents, and helping out at a few others, I keep a full medical kit in my truck. i swear there are parts of mainland US where you will be long dead before an ambulance makes it out to you. also water is a must have, even if its only a gallon jug or two. sometimes i keep a "truck gun" in there, but i worry about it when i park in a city. otherwise i keep a simple survival kit, "pioneer tools" and a change of clothes with some broken in boots.

Outlander Systems
12-26-10, 16:54
...and AAA card

My AAA card has helped me tremendously when copious amounts of S hit the Fan.

KevlarSniper
12-26-10, 17:03
An RPG. . .

no seriously, Ruger Police Carbine (2 clips [loaded]) survival knife, lighter, jumper cables, Reflective blanket, the all-important license and registration, and a plastic bottle of Mountain Dew. :laugh:

davidz71
12-26-10, 17:03
Small collapsible shovel
Gerber Multiplier
SOG Multiplier
4 bungi cords
Screwdriver with 20 different heads
3" wide tow strap
2" receiver hitch with clevis hook
Sears ratchet set with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" sockets / wrenches / allen wrenches
3 cell Pelican flashlight
Small pr. Leatherman scissors
Jumper cables
Spare fuses
Large butane lighter

ozarker
12-26-10, 17:11
For a lighter, I have been really impressed with the ronson butane lighter. Looks like a zippo but doesn't dry out. About three bucks at wal-mart. I have carried one in my pocket every day for several years. I have not had to refill it yet, and it lights every time I try it like a little blowtorch.

broylz
12-26-10, 21:12
My daily driver has my GHB with spare glock mags, fire starting stuff, water, granola bars, basic first aid kit, rain jacket and a spare change of clothes. I also keep a vehicle recovery kit with straps and such for towing. The rest of it is full of plumbing, drywall repair, painting, electrical and carpentry tools. I'm a handyman and keep a bit of most everything in there. :D

Ferris2son
12-26-10, 21:41
I'm interested to hear what items everyone keeps in their truck or car at all times.

GASOLINE

Schmidty5.56
12-27-10, 13:01
Depends on the season, but stays mainly the same throughout the year.

Mosin-nagant M44 "trunk gun" with several stripper clips of ammo, water, basic aid kit, a working flashlight, fire starting items, pistol belt with two canteens and a compass attached, entrenching tool, and whatever food items i decide to stash at the time.

In the winter i just add my warm boots and cold weather sleeping bag.

Might seem like kind of alot, but it dosent really take up that much space in the trunk, and gives me peace of mind

Heidevolk
12-27-10, 13:32
Carry a maxpedition sling-bag with the following:

Hand Sanitizer
4Sevens Light with strobe & multiple light levels
2 spare pistol magazines
Small Multitool
CPR Mask
Lighter
Magnesium Fire starter
Water Purification Tablets
4 Glow sticks
Emergency Whistle
Trauma & Firstaid Kit (incl. Quick Clot)
Rehydrating Salts
8x Tasco Binoculars
Bottle of Water
Snacks

Plus always have EDC carry on (handgun / oc spray / flashlight / knife / cellphone with extended battery)

Ick
12-27-10, 13:39
I cannot believe DUCK TAPE was not brought up.

That has gotten me out of a bind more than once. Most notably a broken off wiper in a bad rainstorm. Also works well to "put together" a vehicle after an accident, say, like a broken tail light.

I also throw in one of those large Rand McNally maps (if the GPS fails), scizzors... and ALWAYS several pens, pencil and a tablet. A pair of work gloves saved me from dirty hands chaning a tire before a big meeting with clients.

tc556guy
12-27-10, 14:13
BOB stays in the car. Web gear and BOB stay in an old parachute bag.

Also a trunk bag for work with some contents that could be used in a SHTF scenario is always there. Tool kit with basic tools. Battery jump box. Picked up one of these engineer tool kits and trying to figure how I want to modify and include that in my car gear:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=641580

I bought my vehicle planning on having to haul a certain amount of gear. I'd gotten tired of having limited space for my stuff over the past twenty years.

BBossman
12-27-10, 16:10
Gasoline, Oil, Coolant, old Guns and Ammo magazines, stale Tic-Tacs and a crap load of change under the seats...

bigshooter
12-27-10, 16:44
I've got three matching carry on size semi rigid luggage bags filled with hand tools and some misc electrical, hardware, nuts&bolts type stuff, tire plugs, flashlight, propane hand torch, jack and jack stands....all kinds of usefull shit.

If and when i need to pull it out it's all in easy to handle, wheeled bags.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-27-10, 17:00
dead hookers. I told my self to stop but I dont know where else to put them

Blstr88
12-30-10, 21:20
First aid kit, tow strap, a variety of spare fuses (often overlooked!), 5 bricks of lifeboat food, fire extinguisher, road flares, diesel fuel additive, tire plug kit. Hmm probably something Im forgetting.

Firearms dont get left in the truck, but its with me 99% of the time I go out.

sandsunsurf
12-31-10, 16:35
Lots of good stuff in this thread, including a couple of things I'm missing but will add soon. I'm surprised only one mention of bolt-cutters- those are high on my list and have been indispensable on two occasions including rescuing a stranded, broken-down motorcyclist.

In my truck I have, at least:

Behind/under the back seat-
Bolt Cutters
Tow strap
Hatchet
Jumper cables
Star Wrench
Toilet Paper
Flagging tape
Survival kit including magnesium fire starter, poncho, candles, waterproof matches, lighter, space blanket, large metal cup, fishing line with hooks, 550 cord, ziplock bags, garbage bags, and more TP
20 Minute Fusees
Ratchet tie downs
Wire ties
Duck tape
Bailing wire
Cheapo tool kit

Bail out bag:
Body armor
Two MRE's
Bottled water
Trauma kit and boo-boo kit
Pens
Pencils
Notepad
Beanie
Gloves
Sometimes an extra gun or three...

Plus my EDC gun.

redfernsoljah
12-31-10, 16:38
GASOLINE

:laugh: ou beat me to it lol. And for the one with water what kinda new fangled hydrogen powered vehicle do you have?

SKINJA11
12-31-10, 17:11
in the tahoe,general tool kit,jumper cables,tow strap,12pack of water ,4 mre's,weapons generally include my carried glock,backup glock,tuffpak of 8 loaded mags,platecarrier w/8mags, at least 1 ar15 type,870 w/ammo and my REPR 18''w/ammo, yes i no its alot but i work daily in an awesome gunshop in n.georgia and use my personal weapons as sale tools daily,customers like our ability to show them latest n greatest setups,also guess i;ve seen to many social unrest movies and never want to be that guy not prepared big truck lots of room short drive to work n home gas not an issue /rather have it n not need it !

crob1
12-31-10, 17:33
BOB consists of extra pairs of socks, rain poncho, extra ammo, extra mag, Gerber knife, binoculars, snacks, two flashlights, spare batteries, dual cartridge respirator, TP, 100' paracord, lighter . It still needs some work.

In the Jeep at all times, are ratchet straps, gloves, coats ( in the winter), tools, hats, sunscreen and some other stuff that may or may not come in handy.

500grains
12-31-10, 19:34
Trauma kit, flashlight, extra mags. In the winter, a duffel with a full set of clothes and boots for the whole family too.

Blstr88
01-01-11, 00:41
Man where do you guys with pickups store this stuff??

I've got an 08 quad cab Ram. Theres very limited storage compartments under the rear seat that I have some stuff in, but I couldnt fit even 1/2 of what you're all talking about. Under my passenger front seat is my jack, and driver seat has a bunch of rags. Really no other space for stuff. Do you all just store the stuff on the back seat...? I've got the seat up and the cargo area back there laid out flat for my GSD since she's almost always jumping in and out of there.

I've considered a toolbox in the bed, but I'd have to ditch the 40 gallon aux tank in the bed, and I'm not really willing to do that...

tc556guy
01-01-11, 05:10

I've got an 08 quad cab Ram. Theres very limited storage compartments under the rear seat that I have some stuff in, but I couldnt fit even 1/2 of what you're all talking about.

When I had a Ram with a crew cab I put it in the back seat.
I got tired of filling up the back seats of my various vehicles with work gear and BOBs, and bought my current Duarango with the expectation that I'd need a certain amount of space to carrying a certain quantity of gear.

NoveskeFan
01-01-11, 05:24
In my truck I keep a flashlight, extra set of batteries, jumper cables, bungie cords, and some zip ties and several lighters (quit smoking back in July). After going through this thread, I feel greatly unprepared. Might need to borrow some ideas from here.

jmoore
01-01-11, 08:07
gas - at least 3/4 of a tank at all times around town. 1/2 tank minimum out on the road.

jm

13MPG
01-01-11, 09:10
after being in a few vehicle accidents, and helping out at a few others, I keep a full medical kit in my truck. i swear there are parts of mainland US where you will be long dead before an ambulance makes it out to you. also water is a must have, even if its only a gallon jug or two. sometimes i keep a "truck gun" in there, but i worry about it when i park in a city. otherwise i keep a simple survival kit, "pioneer tools" and a change of clothes with some broken in boots.

Spot on with the med kit. There was a wreck near my house a few months ago. They had called 911 about 15min before I got there. Out of the 6 cars at the wreck when I stopped nobody had anything to help the lady that was hurt. It was nothing major just a nasty gash on her forehead but she was bleeding like a stuck pig. Helped out the best that I could by getting the bleeding stopped. I guess I was there for maybe 10-15min and when I left still no EMTs were there.

crob1
01-01-11, 20:39

I've got an 08 quad cab Ram. Theres very limited storage compartments under the rear seat that I have some stuff in, but I couldnt fit even 1/2 of what you're all talking about. Under my passenger front seat is my jack, and driver seat has a bunch of rags. Really no other space for stuff. Do you all just store the stuff on the back seat...? I've got the seat up and the cargo area back there laid out flat for my GSD since she's almost always jumping in and out of there.

I've considered a toolbox in the bed, but I'd have to ditch the 40 gallon aux tank in the bed, and I'm not really willing to do that...

I have a topper on my Ram, so that allows me to keep a couple of boxes with chains, tow straps, hitches, diesel additive, rope, and stuff like that in there all the time. Under the rear seat, like you said is pretty limited. In the compartment on the driver's side, under the rear seat is an air compressor and tire repair kit and on the other side is gloves, flashlight and stuff like that. Without the topper, it would be difficult to keep everything on board, all the time.

CLHC
01-02-11, 01:03
In my vehicle I always have:

3 Pairs of Gloves

2 Flashlights

Pens and Note Pads

Microfiber Cloths

Chopsticks

PA PATRIOT
01-02-11, 13:39
I keep just basic bare bone supplies in the vehicle which I would carry if I had to abandon my ride for some extremely sudden unforeseen unknown event. Since I'M always armed with a Glock and .38spl bug a few spare Glock magazines and .38spl speed strips are stored inside a plastic zip lock bag with a small desiccant pouch. Next a small LED flashlight with spare battery's, light weight 26" ASP, 2.5oz OC spray, large fixed blade knife and two pair flex restraints. In a small back pack I have two qt bottles of water, Two bricks of Datrex (DX2400F) emergency rations, Battery cell phone recharger, Two travel rain ponchos, Two lighters, small wire cutters, Two large wound dressings, Two chest seals, Two combat tourniquets, Wound sew kit. Since I will be dressed for the season I keep extra hats, gloves and a old pair of duck boots just in case under the seat. In the summer a simple cotton button shirt will conceal everything but the back pack which would be consider normal wear. Other then the Guns and Ammo all the rest of the gear cost under $100.00 if you shop smart. Just the light weight Basics to get home or to a safe location.

HES
01-03-11, 01:28

I've considered a toolbox in the bed, but I'd have to ditch the 40 gallon aux tank in the bed, and I'm not really willing to do that...When I had a Ram with a crew cab I put it in the back seat.
I got tired of filling up the back seats of my various vehicles with work gear and BOBs, and bought my current Duarango with the expectation that I'd need a certain amount of space to carrying a certain quantity of gear.

That's pretty much my frustration as well (currently have a 3/4 ton GMC). So due to that reason and others I am now considering a full sized SUV. Im gonna miss the ability to just dump shit in the bed, but I want the ability to store stuff securely in my vehicle too.

I carry some survival stuff (water, pistol with magazines, knife) but that is about it. After the accident that my son and I came across in October of 09 I now have a fully stocked trauma med kit that will handle just about any sort of trauma (deep wounds, massive bleeding, amputated extremity) within my limited training. I will never be again be caught in a situation where I cannot help again.

eo500
01-03-11, 22:37
After the accident that my son and I came across in October of 09 I now have a fully stocked trauma med kit that will handle just about any sort of trauma (deep wounds, massive bleeding, amputated extremity) within my limited training. I will never be again be caught in a situation where I cannot help again.

What type of trauma kit do you carry? How big is it? Where did you get it? I need to get a better first aid kit and a blow out kit for my range bag as well, but most of what I've found are out of my price range, too big, or both. Plus I don't think I'd know what to do with over half of the stuff that's in the major trauma kits. (I guess a little studying could come in handy when I end up getting a small trauma kit.)

HES
01-03-11, 23:54
What type of trauma kit do you carry? How big is it? Where did you get it? I need to get a better first aid kit and a blow out kit for my range bag as well, but most of what I've found are out of my price range, too big, or both. Plus I don't think I'd know what to do with over half of the stuff that's in the major trauma kits. (I guess a little studying could come in handy when I end up getting a small trauma kit.)

I built the kit myself. The contents cost me about $100 over all. I bought everything from Wally World instead of from places like Amazon because it is easier for me to replace. However getting the specialty supplies would mean that I could reduce the size of the contents. My wife is an RN with wound / trauma experience and I had training as a combat life saver and have maintained my red cross certifications. Nothing in the kit is beyond my training. This means no airway stuff, no IVs etc.. It's purpose is two fold

1) The kit will address common injuries associate with sports or camping, especially with cub and boy scouts. Stuff like scrapes, burns, breaking a finger or limb, nausea, headaches, dehydration, etc...
2) The kit will address major trauma injuries like nearly severed limbs or puncture wounds
3) The contents of the kit are meant for 1st aid (I.e. stabilizing someone until the 1st responders arrive), not as a BOB to get me home.

Here is a pic of the contents

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/camping/camping%20equip/FirstAidKitContents800.jpg

The contents are:

TRAUMA / HEMORAGE
Blood clotter (celox or quick clot) - 2 Pkg.
Flexible Splint - 2 Ea.
Gauze 2x2 - 10 Ea.
Gauze 4x4 - 10 Ea.
Gauze rolls - 2 Ea.
Izzy (AKA Israeli) Bandage, 6" w/ Slider - 2 Ea.
Maxi Pads OR A.B.D. pads - 5 Ea.
Sutures - 6 Ea.
Tourniquet, SOF - 2 Ea.
Trauma Pad, 5"x9" - 2 Ea.

BURNS
Burn cream - 2 Ea.
Cleansing Wipes, Lidocaine and Aloe - 5 Ea.
Water Gel Burn Gel, 3.5gr Packet - 6 Ea.
Water Gel Dressing, 4"x4" - 2 Ea.

MINOR WOUNDS
Adhesive Bandage, 1"x3" - 5 Ea.
Adhesive Bandage, 3/4"x3" - 10 Ea.
Adhesive Bandage, 5/8"x2-1/4" - 15 Ea.
Adhesive Bandage, 1-1/2x3-1/4" Knuckle - 5 Ea.
Adhesive Bandage, 1-3/4"x4" - 5 Ea.
Butterfly Closures - 20 Ea.
Eye Wash, 4oz OR single use tube - 2 Ea.
Finger splints - 1 Ea.
Ice pack - 2 Ea.
Moleskin - 1 Ea.
Pads, Eye, Oval, 2-1/8"x2-5/8" - 2 Ea.
Snake bite kit - 1 Ea.
Wet Wipes (Benzalkonium Chloride) - 10 Ea.
Wipes, alcohol - 20 Ea.
Wipes, Iodine - 20 Ea.
Wound wash - 1 Ea.

MEDICATIONS
Ammonia inhaler (smelling salts) - 1 Pkg.
Antacid - 1 Pkg.
Antidiahreal - 1 Pkg.
Antinausea - 1 Pkg.
Asprin, 81mg childrens - 1 Pkg.
Benadryl, pills - 1 Pkg.
Benadryl, stick - 1 Ea.
Glucose, 25mg tube - 1 Pkg.
Hydrocortisone Cream 1% - 1 Ea.
Ibuprofen - 1 Pkg.
Triple Antibiotic Ointment - 1 Ea.
Tylenol / aleve - 1 Pkg.
Zinc oxide - 1 Ea.
TOOLS / PPE / OTHER -
ITEM - QTY
Ambu Res-Cue Key CPR Shield - 1 Ea.
Carmex Lip Balm - 1 Ea.
chem lights - 4 Ea.
disposable razor - 1 Ea.
Duct Tape - 1 Ea.
Emergency water, 8 oz - 2 Ea.
Eye drops - 1 Ea.
Gloves, nitrle, large - 6 Ea.
Hand sanitizer - 1 Ea.
Hemostat - 2 Ea.
Light, Flash light, high intensity - 1 Ea.
Light, head lamp - 1 Ea.
N95 Particualte filtering disposable face mask - 2 Ea.
Sharpie marker - 1 Ea.
Space blanket - 2 Ea.
Trauma shears - 1 Ea.
Tweezers - 1 Ea.
Whistle - 1 Ea.

WRAPS
ACE wrap - 2 Ea.
Coban (althletes tape) - 2 Ea.
Cravats - 2 Ea.
Medical tape - 2 Ea.

I still have some things to get but that is about it.

I went nuts looking for a bag. At one point I was just using a range bag, but trying to find stuff in it was a cluster **** and meant I had to empty the bag each time I needed an ice pack or something like that. So when on a business trip to Raleigh I took a trip to Bragg and hit the pawn shops and picked this up dirt cheap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/camping/camping%20equip/LBT-1562BUC.jpg

Its the London Bridge Trading LBT-1562B Rev UNIVERSAL CAMO Training Coverage Medical Backpack

tc556guy
01-04-11, 15:51
After the accident that my son and I came across in October of 09 I now have a fully stocked trauma med kit that will handle just about any sort of trauma (deep wounds, massive bleeding, amputated extremity) within my limited training. I will never be again be caught in a situation where I cannot help again.

Kudos to you on your desire to be as prepared as can be expected.

eo500
01-07-11, 17:38
HES, thanks for the trauma kit list. I have quite a bit of shopping to do before I'm as prepared as you but at least I have a starting point.

mcclainm
01-16-11, 06:49
Fleece Jacket
Jumper Cables
Umbrella
Raincoat
Road Flares
Nalgene Bottle
Craftsman Tool Kit (small socket, open wrench set)
Screwdrivers
Surefire 6P
Gerber Tool
Long Bar (for getting to the belts on an alternator)
SAM splint
Ace Wraps
Israeli Bandages (2)
CAT

PieceKeeper
01-18-11, 00:14
What I keep in my 90 Diesel Suburban...This is my daily driver and my BOV.

Water - 4 Gal.
Trail Mix - 3 bags
Energy Bars - 3
Couple of books
Maps (wife stole my GPS)
5x5 Gal. Diesel gas cans
2xLg. Diesel Motor Oil containers/Funnel
Rags
Coolant
Craftsman Automotive Tool Kit
Duct Tape
Sog Multi-tool
Gerber LMF II Knife (really want a Ka-Bar BK3 Tac Tool instead)
Cold Steel Recon Folder
Fire Extiguisher
Full Medi-Kit
4sevens Quark AA2 Tactical Flashlight
Spare AA Batteries
Cell Phone Charger
Pens
Lighters, lighters, lighters...spares for my smokes and fire
Fire Piston + starter material
Ratcheting Tie-downs
Tow strap
Moving Blanket (can be used as a regular blanket)
5.11 Packable jacket
3x rain ponchos
Mechanix gloves

2xGlock 17 mags for my Glock 19
1x50 box of 9mm JHP ammo
Arsenal SLR-107F (folding stock AK 47) Useful for manuvering inside the vehicle...not so useful since it sits in the far back. :rolleyes:
2x30 round AK Mags
1x5 round mag on the rifle

Things I know I need
Full Size Spare
Large jack
Folding or small shovel
Looking for things in this thread I'm missing...

I'm not as oganized as I would like either. There's stuff in the center console, glovebox and rolling around on the floor. Need to mount that damn extiguisher.

NavyDavy55
01-18-11, 08:17
A knife, flashlight, pepper spray, matches, sweatshirt, first aid kit.

rickp
01-19-11, 13:25
I keep a trauma kit in the car with all kinds of stuff in it.
100 mhp tape
550 cord
cargo straps
water
a couple of mre's
a long rope
gloves
signal stuff (strobe, vs 17 panel)
rain jacket
feece
emergency blanket
GPS and general navigation stuff
3 2 way radios
batteries
converter so I can charge battery items
emergency radio

If a storm like if a hurricane heads our way then I have some other items like water purification pills, water purification pump.
Lanters
fire stuff
stove and fuel
more guns
ammo
fuel

thats about the bulk of it.

HES
01-25-11, 20:44
Quick question...how are you guys storing your equipment? Right now I have my med kit, an el cheapo athletic bag and storage compartments in the vehicle to store everything.

eo500
01-25-11, 22:37
Quick question...how are you guys storing your equipment?

Good question, I'm currently working through this myself. My tools including a knife are in a fabric tool box with 550 cord, duct tape, and zip ties. Jumper cables came in a plastic case and fit under the passenger seat. Clothes are in an old backpack with fire starting equipment and H2O purification tabs. Tow strap and tie downs are under the back seat in a cargo pouch. First aid kit is in the glove box (I don't have a trauma kit yet, but I'm looking to put a small one together in a small bag). Pens, pencils, and notebook in the console. Flashlights in glove box, tool kit, and console. Multi-tool in glove box. Bolt cutters are loose, under the back seat. A variety of gloves, winter work, mechanix, work gloves are in the door pockets along with some maps.
I like having things organized into a few different bags and the "single purpose" items like jumper cables kept separate. This way I don't have to lug it every time I need to grab my tool box. It's far from perfect, but at least it's a start.

Brimstone
02-05-11, 19:42
I have a pair of jeans, sweatshirt, jacket, snow boots, jacket, water, granola bars, blankets, air compressor and extra lighter.

Always on me I have a S&W M&P9, Benchmade knife, flashlight, phone and lighter.

hatidua
02-07-11, 19:50
Having had some fairly cold temperatures this past week, I can't imagine changing a tire without gloves. Just something to think about for those that live in an area that gets cold in Winter.

HES
02-07-11, 22:43
like wise for someone like me packing bug spray is probably a good idea.

montanadave
02-07-11, 22:58
dead hookers. I told my self to stop but I dont know where else to put them

Check your local highway rest stops. Often they have a "recycling bin" on premises. But you can forget about getting your deposit back! :haha:

Jafo
02-07-11, 23:58
I have an F250 with a hard locking cover over the bed.
In the bed is two plastic foot lockers.
Bagged Datrex water. I tested the datrex bags in my freezer and then tossed the bag around untill it thawed out. It never leaked.
Water filteration and naglene bottles x5
water purification tablets
rope
slleping bag
tarp
Matches, blast match, magnesium rod
machette
Mountain house freeze dried food 30+
gas mask
small coleman one burner stove with gas
Gelled alcohol
Bungee cords

In the back seat is a medical kit with items that I can use.
The items are standard except, a staple gun from cabelas.
I stole from the wife a few Tampons and Maxi pads. Haha I know well they will work for a trauma dressing!
I figure there is no need for items that are out of my training.
The staple gun I have never used, however the directions are in the package.

I always carry my G19 & P3AT. 7 glock mags& 3 380 mags, also an AR pistol with plenty of ammo.
I hope there is never a real need for these items but better to have than need!

Magic_Salad0892
02-08-11, 07:19
My Civic has -

KAC 11'' gun (which will be replaced with a Colt 727, or 5720 or something)
7 USGI magazines loaded with Federal 62 gr. Bonded 5.56x45mm NATO
550 Cord
Extra Duffel Bag
Large Medical Kit
4 Glock 17 magazines (19 rounders)
Gerber Sport Axe
Bolt Cutters
Flashlights
Jumper Cables
Flares
Glow Sticks
Flagging Tape
Masking Tape
Rainproof Pancho
Waterproof Matches
Zip Ties
Duct Tape
A wrench
Sharpees (Black, Blue, Red)
A notebook
Snow Chains... for my trips to Washington
A gallon of Unleaded gasoline - sealed.
Spare Tire
Crowbar
And soon it will have an Avon FM-12 CRBN Gas Mask

That's the survival kit for my car. It makes me happy, even if it's a bit much.

tc556guy
02-08-11, 17:20
Quick question...how are you guys storing your equipment? Right now I have my med kit, an el cheapo athletic bag and storage compartments in the vehicle to store everything.

In the back of the SUV. One of the bags gets unloaded/ loaded back in every day because its in my work car trunk bag. The bigger kit lives in my POV 24/7.

eo500
02-08-11, 18:04
Having had some fairly cold temperatures this past week, I can't imagine changing a tire without gloves. Just something to think about for those that live in an area that gets cold in Winter.

It's funny that you mentioned this, I have about six pairs of gloves in my truck. (three pairs of leather work gloves for me and whoever gets to help me load and unload whatever I happen to be hauling, two pairs of insulated winter leather gloves, and mechanix gloves) Wouldn't you know it that today I drove my car, came out from work to find a flat tire:(. I did have gloves in my car, but last week I took them out to snowblow the drive, and left them hanging on the handle of the snowblower to dry. Because of this, I no longer have to imagine changing a tire without gloves, I've done it in -5 degrees with the wind chill.:haha: Needless to say the gloves are back in the car, and a spare pair will be picked up tomorrow.

TacticalTaco
02-12-11, 22:22
M&P 9mm FS
Spare mag
Gum
Flashlight
Umbrella

Tool box: ( In my toolbox)
Poncho
Large stanley toolbox
Rubber work gloves
Respirator
Boots

Six Feet Under
03-06-11, 01:34
Right now in my trunk, I have:

- Full size spare tire
- Jack (crappy one that came with the car)
- Jumper cables
- Spare fluids (three quarts of oil, jug of 50/50 coolant mix, steering and brake fluid, several bottles of distilled water for battery and windshield wiper fluid tank if necessary)
- Rags, funnels, screw drivers and wrenches
- Hose clamps, radiator stop leak

After being stuck 150+ miles from home on the side of I-95 at 9:30pm with a blown radiator and NO clue what happened or how to fix it and limp home, I decided I'd carry a little extra shit in my trunk. That weekend sucked.

I'm putting together a get-home bag to put in there as well. I already have most of this stuff (the important parts anyways), but there is a lot of stuff I'd like to buy that would add to it. The bag would hold what I needed to make it 3-4 days if I had to walk home from the places I typically go (dad's house, several friends houses are 20+ miles away) or have necessary stuff to live out of my car for a few more days than that if I could supplement the bag with more food from stores or restaurants along the way. I wouldn't plan on having those options available but if they were, I'd take advantage of them if the situation allowed. My blow out kit sits on the passenger side floor in the back seat at all times, I've come close to having to use it more than once too (most recent being a guy nearly wrecking his motorcycle in oncoming traffic making a turn), so I leave it in the car.

Here's what I've got on that list so far. Anything with an asterisk next to it I haven't purchased yet, but I most likely have something of either lesser quality or amount to replace it with that I already own which will help me get the kit off the ground.

Bag

Kelty Redwing 3100*

Shelter & Fire

Bic lighter
Magnesium fire starter*
Dryer lint
50 feet of 550 cord (may add another 50 feet)
Military poncho

Food/Water

Potable aqua tabs
Camelbak 1.5L bladder
(4) 16oz bottled water
(1) Mountain House meal*
Granola bars, ramen, whatever I can find in the pantry

Clothing

(2) pairs socks
(2) pair boxers
(2) under-shirts
(1) pair cargo pants
(1) pair Mechanix gloves
(1) breathable rain suit*

First Aid Supplies

Blow out kit/IFAK
Hand sanitizer
Bandaids (large and small)
Moleskin
Benedryl, Tylenol
Nut powder*

Defense

(2) G17 mags*
(2) 30rd AR mags (Fed. M193)
(1) box 9mm JHP*
(1) box .38 JHP (for BUG I frequently carry or leave in my car when I go somewhere)*
(8) Surefire CR123 batteries*

Other Stuff

USB drive with important info on it
Cash ($10 in ones, $10 in fives, $20 in tens)
Spare eyeglasses*
Roll of Charmin toilet paper
County map
Compass
Surefire G2X LED flashlight*
Duct tape (50 feet wrapped around credit card)
Toiletries (small toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, washcloth, q-tips)
LED headlamp*
Gerber tree saw
Paper copy of all necessary info (address, phone number, DL number, SS number, AAA membership, etc)
Rite in the Rain tablet/pen*, sharpie marker
Binoculars*
Cell phone charger
Foam earpro

I'll make another post when it is finished and filled. The AR goes with me on longer trips when I'm by myself (across the state, to my dad's or buddy's house since we typically go shooting when I go either one of those places, etc) and once I get my SBR build started, I will be able to break that down and put it in a tennis racket case or something non-descript to keep people from second guessing what it is. That will make it a bit slower to use, but the ability to hide what it is will make me a lot more comfortable. I will have my G19 and S&W 642 (at least one if not both) on me no matter what, so a few spare mags for that and two speed strips of .38 JHP in the bag for the 642 will be nice.

Bag:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WrgBuuaUL._SL1500_.jpg

It has plenty of storage space, several small pockets and organizers inside those pockets, and doesn't scream GUN GUY like a more military-like pack could. Plus I've seen it for $60-100, which makes it great for my budget.

ColdDeadHands
03-06-11, 03:50
I need to get a Toolbox for my truck so I can carry more things w/o putting them in plain sight. Thanks to my Ram's awesome sound system :D I have only one cubby hole under the rear seats and in it I carry a Bag with a few essentials. I had a different bag with more stuff in it but it wouldn't fit in any of my Truck's storage compartments. I don't leave anything inside my truck in plain sight since my other truck got broken into. I always carry my HK45C.

Hawkepaks / Larue Bugout Bag
2 Loaded HK45C mags
3 Loaded Pmags
Streamlight PT2L with spare batteries
ESEE RC-4
Chem light stick
Adventure Medical kits Trauma Pack with quickclot
Compass
Bushnell 10x25 Binoculars
First Aid Kit
Bic Lighter
Waterproof Matches
Fire Starter
Fire Tinder
Motorola 26 mile Radio
Food, Water, Snacks
Snakebite Kit
Mosquito Spray
Camping TP
Insect bite Relief
Benchmade Knife Sharpener
Folding Knife

...sometimes my AR.

Once I have a Toolbox I will carry in addition to the current BOB contents;
Basic Tools
Full First Aid Kit
Recovery equipment from my Jeep days
Full change of Clothes
Rain jacket or Poncho
AR
lo-pro chest rig loaded with more mags
Sleeping Bag and maybe even a small tent

indawire
03-06-11, 22:42
Boy, I thought I had enough stuff in by truck bag but some of you guy's got me beat. The thread did get me thinking about some extra items though, I'm not always 9 miles from home. Right now I've got in a bag:
92F w/ extra mag & holster
flashlights
lighter
550 cord
fixed blade knife
shovel (Glock brand)
hat, gloves, socks, down vest, 55 gal garbage bag
food bars
topo maps
basic first aid w/quik clot
After seeing some of the lists, I'll be making some additions but not so much I can't carry it or look too obvious. I got my carry bag at the local thrift store, cheap, looks broken in, and dosn't yell out "good stuff in here"

Paraclete comes
03-13-11, 00:08
we keep medium sized BOB with water collection, change of clothes and shoes, a couple reloads, signal gear, head gear, knive, light, a bit of food and water, a case of water, jumper cables, siphon, blowout kit, emergency blanket, 1000 rounds of ammo, extra betterys and a few others but that pretty much it

usmcvet
03-13-11, 18:47
A note on water storage. I lost an old friend a few weeks ago. My favorite Nalgene water bottle. I filled it up for a trip and forgot it in my truck for a few days. Because it was very full it split right down the side when it froze. If I was intentiinally storing it in my truck I would have left it about 80% full. Anyone else have similar issue or solution?

Naxet1959
03-14-11, 06:20
A note on water storage. I lost an old friend a few weeks ago. My favorite Nalgene water bottle. I filled it up for a trip and forgot it in my truck for a few days. Because it was very full it split right down the side when it froze. If I was intentiinally storing it in my truck I would have left it about 80% full. Anyone else have similar issue or solution?

I travel to Minnesota frequently so to prevent freezing/splitting issues, I carry bottled water that sits in a Coleman water jug. This way if it splits, its contained. If not, I can change it out frequently to keep it fresh.