PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for an inexpensive Paintball mask?

RD62
11-21-10, 15:31
Hey guys!

Don't know if anyone here really plays paintball or not. I don't see it mentioned much, if at all.

My co-workers and I have been getting together at one of the local facilities and playing once every 6 months or so. We talk trash, make bets, and enjoy blasting some of our frustrations out. Its a good time.

I've played twice now, using gear from rented from the field. The only problem I have had is that the masks fog up bad and fast!! After a couple of rounds I can't see crap! Certainly makes finding and engaging targets more difficult as well as moving to cover, etc.

I'd like to pick up my own mask to alleviate this problem, but know jack about any of it. I don't want to spend much $$$ on a mask as I only use it once or twice a year.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions I really like to hear them.

I've got a couple weeks before we play next and have glanced at the local Wally World and Dick's sports and have seen a few in the $20-$30 range, which sounded like a good deal, but I have no idea if they will work like I want.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-10, 17:14
Does it have to match your skirt?

Just kidding. :D I wonder if the training forum might yield some more answers.

RD62
11-21-10, 19:17
Does it have to match your skirt?

That'd be great! Do they make them in a Coach pattern? :D

It is what it is. It's certainly no substitute for range time, but if you've never lit up an aggravating co-worker with a half a dozen paint balls you may be missing out! I just wish I could actually walk around the office with one. I guarantee my productivity would be up, and blood pressure down!

If you really think this would be better in the training forum maybe a mod can move it. I didn't really think of it as training, so it never really occurred to me to post it there.

Terracoma
11-21-10, 19:42
To help alleviate the fogging problem, you'll want "Thermal" lenses in the goggles.

I like the JT Thermal Flex-8 or ProFlex masks, but I'm an minimalist... They're in the $50-$60 ballpark at Actionvillage (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/AVI-Store-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewEasyAskSearch-Start?Action=CA_CategoryExpand&CategoryPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FPaintball%2F%2F%2F%2FGoggles+and+Accessories%2F%2F%2F%2FAttribSelect%3DManufacturer%3D%27JT%27%2F%2F%2F%2FGoggles%2F%2F%2F%2FAttribSelect%3DProduct+Class%3D%27Thermal+Paintball+Goggles%27%2F%2F%2F%2FSpectra+Series+Goggles&SortColumns=4%2Ct&ShowStyle=).

RD62
11-21-10, 20:19
I really don't wanna drop any more money into this than I have to.

I got a Wally World gift card as a coaches gift and see they have a Visible Impact mask with "Thermocured" lenses. Is this what you are talking about?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-10, 20:20
To help alleviate the fogging problem, you'll want "Thermal" lenses in the goggles.

I like the JT Thermal Flex-8 or ProFlex masks, but I'm an minimalist... They're in the $50-$60 ballpark at Actionvillage (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/AVI-Store-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewEasyAskSearch-Start?Action=CA_CategoryExpand&CategoryPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FPaintball%2F%2F%2F%2FGoggles+and+Accessories%2F%2F%2F%2FAttribSelect%3DManufacturer%3D%27JT%27%2F%2F%2F%2FGoggles%2F%2F%2F%2FAttribSelect%3DProduct+Class%3D%27Thermal+Paintball+Goggles%27%2F%2F%2F%2FSpectra+Series+Goggles&SortColumns=4%2Ct&ShowStyle=).

What does thermal mean? Does the lens stay warm to cut down on fogging?

orionz06
11-21-10, 21:21
I used the Dye Invision I4 and it has been the best mask to date. It is a bit more, but worth every penny. If you were gonna spend less, I would consider a JT Proflex or Vforce Grill... My vote is with Dye.

CoryCop25
11-21-10, 21:26
What does thermal mean? Does the lens stay warm to cut down on fogging?

It means that there is an inner and outer lens. It keeps the temperature regulated from your body heat and the outside temperature. It cuts down on fogging.

To the OP, JT masks are what I used. Full helmet for outdoor and half helmet, no top of head, for go fast indoor. I haven't played in like two years and I have thousands of dollars of gear just sitting in the basement.

RD62
11-21-10, 22:09
Thanks for the responses thus far!

Please keep the suggestions coming.

The Dye, VForce, JT Proflex seem to be WAY more than I was looking to spend for the occasional outing of shooting my co-workers in the face. What do these masks offer that the less expensive "thermal cured" masks do not? Lighter weight, better field of vision, more protection? What makes them worth 2-5 times more?

Please excuse my stupidity. This is only the 3rd time I've played and I couldn't even tell you what kind of gun or mask I rented from the field. All I know is it shot orange paintballs! :D

orionz06
11-21-10, 22:15
"Thermal cured" masks work for about 5 minutes, then they will fog. The I4 is the best anti-fog mask I have used, and sweat a good bit in the face.

SkiDevil
11-21-10, 23:12
RD62,
The best thing for you to do is locate a local paintball store where you can try-on several masks. A mask that may be comfortable to one player may not suit someone else. All these masks really are is modified goggles. Just like everything else, you are paying for the quality of the materials and sometimes even the brand name. A good mask will easily run you over $50.00. Try some different gear out and you may find something that suits you and is inexpensive.

As for Walmart, they do sell some quality paintball gear, but most of it is a waste of time.

I would recommend you rent for a while before investing in all of the gear because you can literally dump alot of cash for some of the higher-end markers.

If you have the opportunity check-out the Tippman brand of paintball markers. Their markers/ paintball guns are well made, very reliable, and reasonably priced. I think the better low cost model is the Custom 98.

Paintballing can be alot of fun. I used to go pretty frequently but can rarely find the time now because it usually ends-up being an all day activity.

Have Fun,
SkiDevil

P.S. In the event that you are not aware, generally the rentals from a shop away from the field are cheaper, the guns are in better overall condition, and often provide some choice in which model you can use. Obvious downside, if the gun breaks/ malfunctions then you are S.OL.. I rented for a long-time and never encountered a problem myself.

Link: http://www.tippmann.com/usa/product_guide/markerDetails.aspx?category=98CustomPlatinum&ProductId=48

Alex F
11-22-10, 13:33
I used the Dye Invision I4 and it has been the best mask to date. It is a bit more, but worth every penny. If you were gonna spend less, I would consider a JT Proflex or Vforce Grill... My vote is with Dye.

I gave my daughter an i4, she loves it (the cheetah print one). I found that they expose way too much of my jaw line.

I've been using Flex 8s for a while.

To answer the OP: Dicks Sporting goods has a large wall of masks to choose from, if you're looking to not spend a lot.

I recommend getting the thermal lens option if you can; thermal lenses are essentially two lenses so that the outside lens won't fog up as badly.

orionz06
11-22-10, 14:29
To be honest on the jawline issue, I have been shot more in the jaw with a Vforce Profiler than my I4's and I have more time playing with the I4's at a higher level.

dhrith
11-22-10, 15:11
Haven't played in quite a few years, just stopping during the start of the double plane lenses. But the sprays helped a fair bit but needed re-application, between sessions if you were lucky or a quick swipe with a wettened rag internally as I ducked my head if not. What was the only sure cure though was a fan mounted on the top of the goggles sucking air in, not sure if they still have/make them. Was a very small audible annoyance but more than worth it for visual clarity.

Ejh28
11-22-10, 15:25
Empire eVents = best ever.

For cheaper mask that also is thermal;

http://www.ansgear.com/Extreme_Rage_X_Ray_Thermal_Mask_Black_p/extremeragexraythermalblack.htm

They're not amazing, but for a passive player, they will do the job just fine!

orionz06
11-22-10, 17:50
E-vents have an awful echo when you are yelling and the ventilation is pretty poor.

Ejh28
11-22-10, 19:30
Here's proof that cheaper goggles can still rock out (me in another life);

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6555/eric1z.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/i/eric1z.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

But I still like my eVents better :)

I've gone through ProFlexes, Proteus, Extreme Rage/Evil, Invisions, I4's Morph's and after it all, I still have my eVents for primary and Extreme rage for backups.

Alex F
11-23-10, 04:19
To be honest on the jawline issue, I have been shot more in the jaw with a Vforce Profiler than my I4's and I have more time playing with the I4's at a higher level.

The profilers are just as bad, jawline-wise, haha :D

orionz06
11-23-10, 06:48
Profilers are huge, in that area at least.

stifled
11-23-10, 08:47
I used Profilers when I was playing for my college. They provided good protection, had a nice wide goggle that were easy to see out of, and didn't fog up unless you were mean to them (we had some players who would throw their goggles on the ground when we lost, which must have separated the lenses from the foam that keeps them separate). They were also very pretty!

You might be able to find a good set of used goggles. Someone is always selling paintball stuff in the local paper. It might be a good way to get a nice mask on the cheap. PBNation is a forum I was a moderator of while I still played; they have an extensive BST forum, though it might be hard to use for a person new to paintball.

orionz06
11-23-10, 08:49
I used Profilers when I was playing for my college. They provided good protection, had a nice wide goggle that were easy to see out of, and didn't fog up unless you were mean to them (we had some players who would throw their goggles on the ground when we lost, which must have separated the lenses from the foam that keeps them separate). They were also very pretty!

You might be able to find a good set of used goggles. Someone is always selling paintball stuff in the local paper. It might be a good way to get a nice mask on the cheap. PBNation is a forum I was a moderator of while I still played; they have an extensive BST forum, though it might be hard to use for a person new to paintball.

what college team?

Spurholder
11-23-10, 09:06
The guy I share an office with (a veteran paintballer) recommends this one for a low(er) priced mask:

Invert Avatar - $69.95

Link: http://www.actionvillage.com/020-394-0005

HTH

stifled
11-23-10, 09:10
what college team?

Penn State. Both years I played we got 2nd at nationals :D

orionz06
11-23-10, 09:53
Penn State. Both years I played we got 2nd at nationals :D

What years? Did you use the same SN on the nation?

Ejh28
11-23-10, 10:29
D2 Xball and D1 Xball here. But that was back in the day(2004-05) when it was the real Xball, not this race to 7 points crap they play now.

I got out of it after 05 season, and didn't start playing again until this past summer. I don't know if I want to play PSP next year or not. I'm more interested in the random weekend fun playing as opposed to the hardcore that is needed to play at a national level. Plus I have a feeling that I'll be spending more of my $ on real guns this year.

stifled
11-23-10, 10:56
What years? Did you use the same SN on the nation?

Ah, I want to say it was the '03 and '04 seasons. I modded the newbie forum on PBNation. I still talk to Kyle C quite a bit (he's into guns and has a couple really nice ones) but haven't used the forum since I quit playing. It got to be too expensive to play even with sponsorships and most of the people I really enjoyed playing with (including my brother) graduated the same year, so I decided to spend my time and money elsewhere.

orionz06
11-23-10, 11:18
Ahh, I didnt get to PSU til 2005 and played at a branch for a bit...

stifled
11-23-10, 12:27
Ahh, I didnt get to PSU til 2005 and played at a branch for a bit...

Word. At the time I was the only person from a branch campus playing for the main campus team. My brother would always try to use that to intimidate people from other schools--like they headhunted me. :laugh:

jklaughrey
11-23-10, 22:24
:sarcastic: