PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR - to much for a HD/tactical AR?

TonyTacoma
11-21-10, 16:51
I'm coming to completion on my first AR build and I've come into stock selection. I've shouldered a few and liked the feel of the UBR, other I've tried: ACS,Emod,IMod,MOR, and CTR. Out of all of these the UBR is the most expensive, money isn't really an option at this point, I'm more interested in getting the best stock that will perform as needed under all it's inteded purposes. This weapon will see use as HD, training, and target shooting.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

bgrundy
11-21-10, 16:53
II've shouldered a few and liked the feel of the UBR

Is there something else that matters?

Meplat
11-21-10, 16:57
If it really feels that much better than any of the others, go for it.
I personally don't like it because of the limitations for a sling mount, and I'm a stickler for lightweight parts going on my guns, especially stocks.

control_z
11-21-10, 17:01
The UBR will add some weight to the rear of your rifle, which may be a positive or negative depending on your requirements.

TonyTacoma
11-21-10, 17:06
The ACR seemed to shoulder well for me also but I didn't have any real negatives on any of the stocks. I suppose my main plus for the UBR was it's super solid feel, but weight is something I don't consider as much standing in a store. I don't plan on running anything realh heavy on the front of the rifle, a flashlight for sure maybe a foregrip.

blackbox
11-21-10, 17:08
ever think of the clubfoot? its light and comfortable.

Whootsinator
11-21-10, 17:10
You may wish to also try a SOPMOD, with and without batteries in the storage compartment.

TonyTacoma
11-21-10, 17:18
You may wish to also try a SOPMOD, with and without batteries in the storage compartment.

I have not had a chance to shoulder the sopmod but it also comes higly recommended. I may hold out on my purchase until I can try this set up.

Cameron
11-21-10, 17:20
I have UBRs on a 10.5" a couple of 16" and an 18" and they all feel very good. While there is a trend to build feather weight carbines with pencil barrels and such, I have found the UBR is only a couple of ounces heavier than an ACR and I prefer it for balance and a solid feel.

If you like the UBR by all means get one.

Cameron

Army Chief
11-21-10, 17:23
The UBR is undoubtedly the Rolls-Royce of aftermarket stocks, and delivers a number of uniques features that cannot be found elsewhere; that said, because of the weight and mass issue, it is going to have an effect on balance and handling. Whether that effect is positive or negative depends largely upon the configuration of the weapon, and the mode in which you are seeking to employ it. Personally, I don't use them for everything, but I do like them quite a bit, and I tend to prefer them above most other aftermarket offerings for the general purpose role.

The only way to know for sure whether the UBR is for you is to invest in one and put it through its paces.

AC

cop1211
11-21-10, 17:54
I have UBRs on a 10.5" a couple of 16" and an 18" and they all feel very good. While there is a trend to build feather weight carbines with pencil barrels and such, I have found the UBR is only a couple of ounces heavier than an ACR and I prefer it for balance and a solid feel.

If you like the UBR by all means get one.

Cameron

This. I have the UBR on a sbr lower, that I run a 10.5, 11.5 and 2 12.5 uppers on it and love it. I also have it on 2 16.1 rifles.

I started shooting the ar platform in the USMC, back in 1989, fixed stock and rifle length handguards. Never could get used to short handguards, or collapsable stocks. The UBR is the closest you can get to a fixed, but it gives you the ability to collapse/extend as needed.

Also I'm not a "featherweight" guy, so the extra "weight" doesnt bother me in the least.

Cameron
11-21-10, 18:21
I think people get confused about how heavy the UBR actually is, it is only 0.34 of a lb more than an ACR, about 5ozs

Cameron

ALCOAR
11-21-10, 18:29
UBR's are light years more advanced than any other AR stock imho...I just find too many things I love about the UBR to sacrifice them over a small bit of extra weight that imho only balances out any AR better be it a SBR or a SPR.

bp7178
11-21-10, 18:37
There are so many acronyms in that post...;)

The UBR stock is the one AR goodie that I installed and never looked back.

I had the MOE stock before, but the way the UBR balances out the gun combined with the very solid feeling is a win.

osiris32
11-21-10, 18:37
I bought a UBR stock and I love it. I've got a YMH rifle length rail and it is balanced out by the UBR. If you like it thats all that matters.

Nevermiss
11-21-10, 18:38
I have them all. I agree with comments above.

If you get an ACS, you need to the get the sling quick release attachments if you like the quick release and plan to run a sling.

There are already two of them on the UBR I believe.

Watrdawg
11-21-10, 18:38
I have an UBR on my 14.5 middy and love it. It is a bit heavy but isn't so heavy that it rules out the benefits to me. I finished my first AR class today and the stock worked fine for me. It is expensive but I think it is worth the money. I'm not disappointed with it at all.

usmcvet
11-21-10, 18:55
UBR's are light years more advanced than any other AR stock imho...I just find too many things I love about the UBR to sacrifice them over a small bit of extra weight that imho only balances out any AR better be it a SBR or a SPR.

Keeping things the same or as close as possible from one of your guns to the next is a good thing. Muscle Memory will be your friend when things to south. If you want it go for it. What really matters is what works for you on your gun.

CoryCop25
11-21-10, 19:06
I am in the beginning stages of building an SBR that I plan to run a suppressor on and I have not decided on what suppressor I want to use yet. I purchased the UBR because my research shows that different brands of suppressors vary in weight up to almost 2 pounds.

TehLlama
11-21-10, 20:29
I've wound up with four of them, for a good reason.

The cost and increase in overall weight is obviously reason to take a step back and evaluate: I still have a use for other stocks (have a pair of CTRs, SOPMODs, and ACS, EMOD stocks), but whenever it helps the balance of the gun the UBR is my choice.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-21-10, 21:14
These are really great stocks on SBR's... Magpul did a great job on the design and function.

TonyTacoma
11-21-10, 21:15
Great responses and information I'm gonna give it a shot. Now to find it foliage green

ALCOAR
11-21-10, 21:37
Great responses and information I'm gonna give it a shot. Now to find it foliage green

If you like fast shipping and saving $65 try DSG...
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG330-FG.aspx

I got an OD ubr on the "going green" special:)

usmcvet
11-21-10, 21:52
Included in the sale are OD and Foliage PMags. I've not seen better pricing.

Apollo11
11-21-10, 22:37

Thanks for the link!

TonyTacoma
11-21-10, 23:53

Bought and ordered thanks!

DaBears_85
11-22-10, 00:12

Wow, that's a hell of a deal, Trident. A small part of me wishes I hadn't gotten rid of my UBR. Oh well...

ETA: Got any leads on the cheapest place to find a CTR? :D

m4fun
11-22-10, 00:23
I am quite please - only 2 Uber's so far. Super solid and feels great.

dway
11-22-10, 11:55
I really like my UBR's. I bought 2 FG ones from the going green sale. I wanted one green one and one black one, but for that price I went ahead and bought two green ones. I took one of them and dyed it black with Rit dye and saved myself about $60. You can't tell the difference between it and one that was black out of the box.

masakari
11-22-10, 19:42
My UBR is a dream. I absolutely love it. Great feel, strength, modularity, and balance. I vote UBR.

Doru
11-22-10, 20:02
I have a UBR on my personal AR, and a ACS on my gun at work.

The UBR has it all, including weight and the CDI factor. I appreciate both. Plus it helps make your weapon look more like a Stormstrooper's blaster.

That said, the next stock I would get is a CTR as ultimately a stock is really meant to do just a couple things and the all of Magpul's stocks do those things well.

However, if price isn't an object and you want, as was mentioned, the Rolls Royce of stocks then enjoy!

Drew

LRB45
11-22-10, 20:12
I really love my Sopmod stock, but the UBR looks like it would be one helluva stock also.

Belmont31R
11-22-10, 20:19
Seems like its mostly personal preference. I have a UBR on my Mk12 type build now but only because the rest of the gun weighs enough to balance it out. To me on anything else that is lighter the UBR makes the gun feel really back end heavy. I prefer the front to be a tiny bit heavier than the back.

For those lighter guns I prefer the CTR or either Gen 1 or Gen II Colt carbine stocks.

Dionysusigma
11-22-10, 20:41
I took one of them and dyed it black with Rit dye and saved myself about $60. You can't tell the difference between it and one that was black out of the box.

I did exactly this as well, only I bought just one in FG and dyed it black.

For someone who has always loved the balance and feel of bullpup configurations, but also loved the parts availability and price of the AR family, it was the best choice I ever made. :)

english kanigit
11-25-10, 20:01
In addition to the positive points already listed in favor of the UBR let me add just one more.

A beard doesn't get caught in it! Not really something you think about until you notice it the hard way. :sarcastic:

Ek