PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Trigger guard

Spiffums
11-21-10, 20:18
I am going to replace the standard guard with the magpul one. I can just tap the pins through the 1st set of ear and leave the pins in the 2nd set and then just tap them back in after I change out the guard...... right?

Apollo11
11-21-10, 20:47
I am not sure what you are asking. You take out the old guard by tapping out the rear pin. Install the set screw in the front for the Magpul guard, and then tap in the NEW roll pin.

Becareful not to snap an ear off.

Spiffums
11-21-10, 20:49
Do I need to take the rear pin all the way out?

Apollo11
11-21-10, 20:54
Yes, the old rear pin is replaced by the new one. Do not try and use the new pin as a punch. Get yourself a punch to remove and install.

Dirtyboy333
11-21-10, 21:02
I am going to replace the standard guard with the magpul one. I can just tap the pins through the 1st set of ear and leave the pins in the 2nd set and then just tap them back in after I change out the guard...... right?
if your talking about the MOE plastic trigger guard there is 1 hex screw that comes with it that u have to screw in (i believe) the rear. Its its magpuls aluminum guard, then i know know.

Dirtyboy333
11-21-10, 21:03
sorry, i didnt kno sum1 already replied

Spiffums
11-21-10, 21:04
Its the metal guard. UPS is suppose to run tomorrow and I was going to get my lower all spiffed up for the new upper goodness and related toys I got coming. Already got my wood cut to make sure I don't break off the ears. :D

citizensoldier16
11-21-10, 21:06
Honestly, don't worry...Magpul includes some very detailed directions for installation in the packaging. As was said above, however, get yourself a good set of punches and DO NOT use the new pin as a punch.

Dirtyboy333
11-21-10, 21:12
Honestly, don't worry...Magpul includes some very detailed directions for installation in the packaging. As was said above, however, get yourself a good set of punches and DO NOT use the new pin as a punch.

+1 Also, i know i will catch hell for this but i use my little Glock armorers tool for Everything. Even as a punch and it has worked well with evrything i have done with AR's except it was to big to punch the charging handle roll pin out but i used it for the trigger guard pins and even the extractor pin on the bolt (it fit perfectly). Im still on the 1st Glock tool i've ever bought. :D

Mark/MO
11-22-10, 19:47
Whe I installed my trigger guard I tapped the existing pin out until the guard came loose. This left the pin still in the second ear. I put the Enhanced guard in, used the setscrew to secure the front then rolled the lower over and tapped the pin back into position. It was simple and I carefully supported the ears while moving the pin.

There may be a reason not to do it this way but it worked fine for both trigger guards I've installed and I can see no problems so far.

Spiffums
11-22-10, 20:01
I was anal in my install. I held the lower against a 2x2 and held the punch and had Dad hit it....Nothing broke and everything went together good...... but I couldn't find my allen wrenches until after I found an el-cheapo and got it in.

control_z
11-22-10, 20:24
There may be a reason not to do it this way but it worked fine for both trigger guards I've installed and I can see no problems so far.

I've reused roll pins on several guns. However according to some smiths general rule of thumb is not to reuse roll pins unless its absolutely necessary.

JodyH
11-22-10, 21:29
If you told me you wanted to reuse the roll pin that pins the breech block into a Sig P228 slide I'd tell you to buy a new pin.

Reusing the roll pin in a non load bearing, low stress area like the trigger guard is not a problem.
When I installed my MOE trigger guards I punched it out just far enough to remove the old guard and reused the old pin. Saves time and lessens the chance of you breaking off one of the ears.

ZombieKiller
11-22-10, 22:08
When I installed my MOE trigger guards I punched it out just far enough to remove the old guard and reused the old pin. Saves time and lessens the chance of you breaking off one of the ears.

+1

This is what I have done every time I've replaced a trigger guard (6 times), and it has never resulted in a problem for me.