PDA

View Full Version : All furniture in Magpul Foliage Green too much?

Apollo11
11-21-10, 20:39
I have searched and seen a ton of foliage green themed rifles. The only problem I have is that the foliage green looks drastically different in shade with different backgrounds or with a flash on the camera.

My question to you all is do you think an entire rifle done in this color is good looking or annoying? I like the looks of Robb's rifles "before" picture, but in others the green looks like a minty color. Is it just the camera, or does the color look different to the eye with different background colors? How does this blend into trees and other greens in the mountains?

I don't know if a UBR, MIAD, Mags, XTM's, and VFG/AFG in FG would make the rifle look toy like, or look good.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

M4Fundi
11-21-10, 21:05
I thought the same till I saw a complete gun with my own eyes... its the camera. Foliage Green is a great color.

jaxman7
11-21-10, 21:12
Forgive me for being sarcastic but looks are just what they are, looks. Worry more about function, reliability, and having the ability to run that gun efficiently. I don't mean this as a 'screw what you think comment' but looks are the last thing to concern yourself with. Make your rifle a function that trumps form and shoot it.

-Jax

Apollo11
11-21-10, 21:16
Forgive me for being sarcastic but looks are just what they are, looks. Worry more about function, reliability, and having the ability to run that gun efficiently. I don't mean this as a 'screw what you think comment' but looks are the last thing to concern yourself with. Make your rifle a form over function and shoot it.

-Jax

Yeah, I get that. This gun is to be used for hunting and I want to see what the color looks like. If form never mattered, all rifles would be black, and rattle can used to fix them up for the AO. I am at the point where looks do matter as the function of the rifle will suffer without them.

Thanks.

CoryCop25
11-21-10, 21:17
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/ARs/P1000833.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/ARs/P1000835.jpg

jaxman7
11-21-10, 21:21
Apollo,

Absolutely no hard feelings bud. What type of terrain are you going to be using the rifle in?

-Jax

Apollo11
11-21-10, 21:27
Apollo,

Absolutely no hard feelings bud. What type of terrain are you going to be using the rifle in?

-Jax

Mainly in the foothills and mountains with a plains type environment every now and again. No offense taken, I do understand about function needing to follow the form of the gun. In this case, I want to see if the FG looks good when mr. coyote comes into range.

jaxman7
11-21-10, 21:33
Gotcha,

If you are set on xtm panels you may want to buy both foliage green and o.d. Set them up against the environment you want them in and have a look. The good thing about them is that they're cheap. Best of luck!

-Jax

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-21-10, 21:42
Gotcha,

If you are set on xtm panels you may want to buy both foliage green and o.d. Set them up against the environment you want them in and have a look. The good thing about them is that they're cheap. Best of luck!

-Jax

I agree... with XTM panels adding in a couple of BLACK or FDE ones break it up just enough.

9DivDoc
11-21-10, 22:16
Mainly in the foothills and mountains with a plains type environment every now and again. No offense taken, I do understand about finction needing to follow the form of the gun. In this case, I want to see if the FG looks good when mr. coyote comes into range.

Canines probably won't be able to tell the difference between FDE,Foliage,or Olive Drab

While canines do see colors they are fairly limited as to their ability to discriminate in that end of the spectrum

Detecting movement is their forte'..that is what their eyes have been created to do most effectively

gr7070
11-21-10, 22:30
FG looks great in person. The full rifle.

Nothing wrong with worrying about looks. One can have both looks and function. No reason not to have both if that's a preference.

The FG always looks more grey to me, which I like.

FDE or FG >>> black

I wish S&W would make more FDE pistols. FG pistols would be nice, too.

M4Fundi
11-21-10, 22:42
FG would be a good base color for camoed rifle in most of the US and you could with little effort make it work in more most terrain. IMHO. I'm kind of in the same boat trying to decide as I like FDE which works great for some desert areas and grassland areas of US, but is less than optimal for rockies or much of TX. I'm thinking hard on getting the FG and making it work in both extremes with some added rattlecan fx.

gr7070
11-21-10, 22:47
And fwiw I can't imagine any game hunted with an AR that has the eye sight and acumen that would make camo that important.

Whootsinator
11-21-10, 23:11
The colors of most products produced on a relatively large scale are very consistent. Cameras are usually the culprit in so many of these color variances. They automatically detect the proper white balance, which basically says what colors are supposed to look like (getting white to look white and black to look black). The automatic white balance obviously isn't perfect, however, and can lead to some screwy looking colors.

djegators
11-21-10, 23:31
Very hard to tell what FG looks like from pics on the net, and to me anyways, it seems that the Magpul FG takes on a different shade depending on the light and background. Sometimes it appears to me to be more of a blue/gray, and others almost an OD.

TRUST8383
11-22-10, 01:27
I love foliage green! I think it looks better though when you break it up with some OD and black.

dieselgeek
11-22-10, 05:27
I have searched and seen a ton of foliage green themed rifles. The only problem I have is that the foliage green looks drastically different in shade with different backgrounds or with a flash on the camera.

My question to you all is do you think an entire rifle done in this color is good looking or annoying? I like the looks of Robb's rifles "before" picture, but in others the green looks like a minty color. Is it just the camera, or does the color look different to the eye with different background colors? How does this blend into trees and other greens in the mountains?

I don't know if a UBR, MIAD, Mags, XTM's, and VFG/AFG in FG would make the rifle look toy like, or look good.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

When I read the title, it translated

Do these jeans make my ass look fat?

If I build my shorty I'm going to do FDE, but I'm keeping my DDM4 all black.

Alex V
11-22-10, 08:44
I used FG ACS, MIAD, PMAGS and Ladder pannels in my SPR and love the color.

Unfortunatly all I have are crappy cell phone pictures so far and the color looks almost gray. Have not used my SLF to take photo's of the whole rifle yet.

You can only see a little bit of it in this one:

http://avoronoff.hypermart.net/SPR/SPR_001_SM.jpg

ForTehNguyen
11-22-10, 08:52
I dont have pics but I have a KISS LW with Magpul FG furniture: MOE grip, MOE trigger guard, MOE buttstock, MBUS rear, and pmags. Will be getting the MOE middy handguard in FG whenever it comes out

Jellybean
11-22-10, 09:04
Gotcha,

-Jax

Where is a good place to look for them cheap? I can't seem to find it...:sad:

On topic- I personally have always been a fan of OD- I think the FG looks a little pukey. But CoryCop25's pic is almost enough to convince me other wise.... I guess I'll have to see for myself whenever I get around to doing this.

genegoesfast
11-22-10, 09:10
This is very close to what it really looks like.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/lxdrums/Gun%20Stuff/AR15%20Mega%2016in/IMG_1380.jpg

texag
11-22-10, 09:16
If you're that worried about the rifle sticking out to yotes and the like why aren't you just painting it? Seems that would be a simple and much more effective solution.

dway
11-22-10, 09:24
Where is a good place to look for them cheap? I can't seem to find it...:sad:
DSG Arms has OD and FG XTM's for $6 per pack on their "Going Green Sale"

Apollo11
11-22-10, 10:55
When I read the title, it translated

Do these jeans make my ass look fat?

If I build my shorty I'm going to do FDE, but I'm keeping my DDM4 all black.

Thanks for being productive in this thread. I don't see how telling me about your DD that will stay black, or a shorty in FDE pertains to the FG question.

Thanks to the guys who posted the pictures of their setup in this color. I think the FG looks good and it seams to blend well. As for painting the rifle, I most likely will and use the FG as a base. However, if I can get away with the furniture being FG I'll leave it at that.

Also thanks to the gents that gave the heads up about DSG's green sale. I'm sure a few guys saved some coin on that one.

Any further pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

djegators
11-22-10, 14:24
I got the last piece I was waiting for, a Magpul ACS in FG, so now my BCM middy is ready for photos (was mostly cloudy today):

http://oi52.tinypic.com/25h0pxh.jpg

http://oi54.tinypic.com/wlxap2.jpg

badness
11-22-10, 15:02
my lmt is completely covered in foliage green stuff. Stock, rail covers, grip, vg, even the magazine.

I think it looks sweet. :sarcastic: I've got a youtube vid on it. I don't have the direct link to the vid, but i believe my channel address is:

http://youtube.com/808arsenal

Should be easy to find, it's the last vid i posted.

Hmac
11-22-10, 15:16
Forgive me for being sarcastic but looks are just what they are, looks. Worry more about function, reliability, and having the ability to run that gun efficiently. I don't mean this as a 'screw what you think comment' but looks are the last thing to concern yourself with. Make your rifle a function that trumps form and shoot it.

-Jax

Oh come on....the appearance and finish of firearms, ALL firearms, has been a key component of their construction and their attraction ever since there have been firearms. If function universally trumped form, there wouldn't be $5000+ gold-inlaid Citori shotguns and this site's "AR PICTURE" thread wouldn't have over 8500 posts and more than 1.8 million views. All those people interested in showing of the form of their nice new rifle, and all those people interested in seeing it.

The OP, all of us, should feel free to post an appearance question without being berated for being interested in making his rifle look good.

dway
11-22-10, 15:20
Here is my Noveske Recce.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/dway100/DSCF7441-1-1.jpg

jaxman7
11-22-10, 15:27
Hmac,

Agreed and it would be hypocritical of me to say I haven't done this. I actually felt bad about that post afterwards. Argued with the girlfriend and was in a pissy mood! Apologies OP.

-Jax

Oh come on....the appearance and finish of firearms, ALL firearms, has been a key component of their construction and their attraction ever since there have been firearms. If function universally trumped form, there wouldn't be $5000+ gold-inlaid Citori shotguns and this site's "AR PICTURE" thread wouldn't have over 8500 posts and more than 1.8 million views. All those people interested in showing of the form of their nice new rifle, and all those people interested in seeing it.

The OP, all of us, should feel free to post an appearance question without being berated for being interested in making his rifle look good.

Hmac
11-22-10, 17:09
Hmac,

Agreed and it would be hypocritical of me to say I haven't done this. I actually felt bad about that post afterwards. Argued with the girlfriend and was in a pissy mood! Apologies OP.

-Jax

I'm sympathetic. Pissy moods can be contagious.

Dionysusigma
11-22-10, 17:47
I tried it out with Foliage Green MOE grip, UBR, and magazines on the build I'm currently in the middle of, and for me it just didn't work--as in, I didn't like the look. Thanks to the "Dyeing PMags" thread, I was able to dye them black quite easily, and in my opinion they look a lot better. And for what it's worth (meaning absolutely nothing ;) ), I don't like Coyote Brown, Flat Dark Earth, or OD Green furniture on an otherwise black rifle.

I also don't like blue cars, 1970s-era paint schemes on airplanes, avocado green kitchen appliances, or fluorescent anything. Many people do, however, and more power to 'em for it.

As with furniture and grip selection, it all comes down to preference. :)

M4Fundi
11-22-10, 18:14
For those taking photos of rifles most cameras have some or alot of difficulty with accurate auto white balancing, so if you take a clean white piece of paper out with you and do a manual/custom white balance off of the white piece of paper while it is in the same light you are using you will get more accurate color rendition in your photos. Just a thought.

Good looking rifles!

Apollo11
11-22-10, 19:03
Hmac,

-Jax

No worries, but thanks.

And again the pictures are great, I appreciate you guys taking time to post them to help me out. DSG got some business today from me, and it looks like others. They said I got the last FG UBR! I think this is going to look really nice and serve it's intended purpose.

I'd love to see more pics, so please keep them coming if possible.