PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever take a course with Northern VA Tactical?

$CashMoney$
11-22-10, 07:58
I'm looking to take a Practical Pistol course with Northern VA Tactical, anyone ever train there? Their prices seem pretty good, but I didn't see pics of the range or anything. Instructor bios are average or better for the gun game stuff. If anyone has feedback or experience with them, LMK!

Robb Jensen
11-22-10, 08:14
I haven't but I know the owner and he's GTG.
He's a former USMC HRP instructor.
HRP = High Risk Personnel course.

That's also where M4C member Looey and Ernest Langdon were instructors for the USMC.

JohnN
11-22-10, 11:55
Oops sorry, don't think these are the same guys.

Here's a couple of AAR's:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63142

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55305

comprido
11-22-10, 18:45
I haven't but I know the owner and he's GTG.
He's a former USMC HRP instructor.
HRP = High Risk Personnel course.

That's also where M4C member Looey and Ernest Langdon were instructors for the USMC.

Are you referring to Virginia Tactical, rather than Northern VA Tactical? Confusing, I know.

Regarding No VA Tactical (nvtactical.com) ---

I've seen Tommy Thacker at matches, and he is a legit 3-gun contender and shoots USPSA at a pretty high level, too. (Open GM, I think.) I'm in the minority here, but I think we can learn A LOT from the professional competitors. So if you could nail down Thacker as the instructor for the particular course you are interested in, I'd say try it.

The other instructors may be just as good or better, but it's hard to say just based on their bios.

Robb Jensen
11-22-10, 19:07
Are you referring to Virginia Tactical, rather than Northern VA Tactical? Confusing, I know.

Regarding No VA Tactical (nvtactical.com) ---

I've seen Tommy Thacker at matches, and he is a legit 3-gun contender and shoots USPSA at a pretty high level, too. (Open GM, I think.) I'm in the minority here, but I think we can learn A LOT from the professional competitors. So if you could nail down Thacker as the instructor for the particular course you are interested in, I'd say try it.

The other instructors may be just as good or better, but it's hard to say just based on their bios.

Doh. Yes you are right. That's Tommy Thacker's company. I know him too but haven't take a class with him. Tommy now works for FNH and can be seen on the 3 Gun Nation shows.

HiPower Fan
11-23-10, 00:07
Yes, I have taken the "Rifle Operator" course with Northern Virginia Tactical, several years ago. My instructors were Tommy Thacker and Mike Walden, who was the former director of training at HK. The class consisted of my brother-in-law and I, which was great that they went on with the class since we were the only ones to sign up.

We shot at a small private range that did not allow rifle calibers so we used 9mm uppers on our ARs along with our handguns.

The instruction from both Tommy and Mike were top notch (I have also gone to TigerSwan, Viking Tactics and Shootrite for courses). It was a one day course and we definitely crammed in a lot of instruction and shooting, even getting in some work with a car at the end.

I would definitely recommend them for a course and if my schedule permitted would take a course from them again.

Darryl

$CashMoney$
11-23-10, 06:01

Yeah, when I started this I was referring to NORTHERN VA Tactical. I didn't even know about VA Tactical. Now that I know the difference, I'll probably take a Practical Shooting course with Northern VA (with the wife), and the Survival Pistol with VA, solo.

The only reason I didn't stop anyone earlier is because I'm relatively new to the NoVA/MD area and I was checking out recommendations on VA Tactical too.

I agree about the Northern VA Tactical Instructors, bios don't really say much, other than Tommy Thacker.

omegajb
04-09-15, 06:43
Yeah, when I started this I was referring to NORTHERN VA Tactical. I didn't even know about VA Tactical. Now that I know the difference, I'll probably take a Practical Shooting course with Northern VA (with the wife), and the Survival Pistol with VA, solo.

The only reason I didn't stop anyone earlier is because I'm relatively new to the NoVA/MD area and I was checking out recommendations on VA Tactical too.

I agree about the Northern VA Tactical Instructors, bios don't really say much, other than Tommy Thacker.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience with Northern Virginia Tactical. It appears as the owners sold the business to one of their employees Blake. If you haven't met him yet he's a Sheriff in Loudoun County.

Last fall I signed up for the Rifle Operators class and just before the class my father became very ill and I had to cancel.
I really was expecting to eat the cost of the class because it was very last minute but Blake was very accommodating letting me reschedule.

The rescheduled class was just me and we spent most of the day with one on one instruction. My only regret was not having enough ammo since we blew through it pretty quickly.

If you guys are looking for a class in Northern VA I would highly recommend.