PDA

View Full Version : 22 Pistol Help

mk12man
11-22-10, 14:57
I am looking for a really accurate 22 pistol and would like input from everyone on there choice and why.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

taylodr
11-22-10, 16:28
I like my P22. It is inexpensive, ergonomic, and pretty accurate.

Paul45
11-22-10, 16:35
For a handgun, the S&W model 41 is about the best for under $1000. You could gave a Ruger MkIII or a Browning Buckmark built up for accuracy. But for an out of the box standard item, the S&W 41 is pretty good.

Littlelebowski
11-22-10, 17:18
For a handgun, the S&W model 41 is about the best for under $1000. You could gave a Ruger MkIII or a Browning Buckmark built up for accuracy. But for an out of the box standard item, the S&W 41 is pretty good.

^^This^^. I would avoid the P22.

Jake'sDad
11-22-10, 18:34
I am looking for a really accurate 22 pistol and would like input from everyone on there choice and why.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

What do want the pistol for?

Are you looking for a pure target pistol?

An Undocumented Worker
11-22-10, 19:13
I just got a Browning Buckmark last week, and it is shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet with just my forearms supported and using the iron sights. It also runs very reliably. I've shot a Smith model 41 and could not achieve better accuracy from it myself. I also picked up a used Sig Trailside (made by Hammerli) that is marginally more accurate than the Buckmark, but it is less reliable and parts will be much more difficult to source should anything break on it. Sig stopped importing them when Coen took over, and they are currently imported by Larry's Guns.

I have also owned at one point a Baretta U22 Neos. It was a good looking gun but the sights suck and the grips are too damn small for my hands. Neither of which could be fixed due to lack of aftermarket support. I had difficulty shooting it accuratly using plastic sights, yes thats right the front sight was a block of plastic and the rear sight blade used a plastic insert. Due to these problems I traded it in for a Kadet Kit for my CZ's

Have also owned a Smith 22A-1. It was accurate, but jamed regularly and had regular failure to fires, the bolt would dig into the feed ramp and ding it up too. It did fit my hand comfortably, but the reliability problems promted me to get rid of it.

Kadet Kit for my CZ's, it is reasonably accurate with most ammo, more so with CCI green tags. I use this as cheap training for my carry guns.

I have also had the opportunity to run 100 rounds of CCI Minimags through a used High Standard, and found it to be no more accurate than my CZ Kadet Kit, it was for sale at 550 but I passed on that offer because It's accuracy was not inline with the price or hype that you hear about High Standards.

I have also shot my friends Ruger Mark 2 or 3 not sure which it was, It was no better than my Buckmark.

Overall from my personal experience for an accurate 22 target pistol at a reasonable price my vote goes to the Browning Buckmark, it fits the hand well, is Accurate and is reasonably priced, reliable, parts are easy to find, and has aftermarket support.

Tactical Solutions makes aftermarket barrels and optics rails for both Ruger and Browning target pistols

One significant factor to note. Browning Buckmarks seem to be difficult to find regularly. I have spoken with Brownings Customer service on this and they are cranking them out 3 shifts a day and they are still backorderd approximately by a year as far as filling orders placed by gunshops. The guy on the phone was nice enough to tell me where they sent the last shipment of the model I was looking for. So if there is a particular version you want, but can not find locally give Browning's customer service a call and they will likely help you locate one for you.

Jake'sDad
11-22-10, 19:56
I just got a Browning Buckmark last week, and it is shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet with just my forearms supported and using the iron sights. It also runs very reliably. I've shot a Smith model 41 and could not achieve better accuracy from it myself.

It's a rare shooter that will be able to shoot up to a model 41. At one time I could, (at least in my mind...), but failing eyesight and a lost interest in bullseye shooting has relegated my 41's to the back of the safe. When I shoot .22 these days, it's usually with a Kit Gun or K22, just because they're fun.

dvdlpzus
11-22-10, 22:22
I just got a Browning Buckmark last week, and it is shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet with just my forearms supported and using the iron sights.

I am able to shoot 2.5in groups with my MkIII at 15 yds. I am that good a shooter so I am very sure that can be improved by a skilled one. MkIIIs and Buckmarks have very good accuracy. Although I am not all that familiar with the Buckmark, the MkIII has tons of aftermarket and enhancement parts. For the money I think they are very well worthed.

mk12man
11-23-10, 11:13
I am looking for above "stock" performance accuracy wise but dont want to lose reliability.

Oscar 319
11-23-10, 11:59
1- Smith & Wesson Model 41. Beautiful pistol - very accurate; expensive.

2- Browning Buckmark. Its controls are familiar to 1911 shooters with similar ergo's. I have never heard of an inaccurate Buckmark. My Buckmark Standard has a bajillion rounds through it and is still a tack driver. Most bang for the buck IMO.

3- Ruger MkII- Consider it the 10/22 of handguns. Good price, durable and reasonably accurate. Parts and accessories are easy to find. It is never a bad choice.

Bad- Sig Mosquito and Walther P22. I have never heard of or seen one that has not had problems.

mk12man
11-23-10, 13:27
thanks for the help guys

TurretGunner
11-23-10, 14:47
Definatley get a Buckmark. Being able to change a barrel or other part is nice without having to buy another registered reciever (ruger).

skyugo
11-23-10, 18:42
my MKII is the most reliable semiautomatic 22 i have ever fired.
it just goes and goes.

very accurate too..

also it's heavy, and i don't care for the grip. :confused:

tradja
11-26-10, 20:19
I am back down to just my Ruger MKII stainless bull barrel with a vintage Aimpoint. I had a small PPK clone .22 pistol and a 1911 .22 conversion that both shot groups that were too large to even be fun.

I haven't gotten some match ammo and shot a group with my MKII since sight-in, but it will still ring an 8"x10" steel plate at 100yds offhand more often than not. Unlike other .22 pistols (and even semiatuo rifles), mine feeds everything and is not picky about cleaning. They are well-priced too, and you can build one up to "better than stock" accuracy with the plentiful upgrades.

Toonces
11-28-10, 23:38
... and you can build one up to "better than stock" accuracy with the plentiful upgrades.

When I was in college at Michigan Tech, the Pistol Club had use of a 25 yard indoor range. We also had a Ransom Rest bolted to the floor. I can't remember any MK II that would not shoot pretty damn close to one ragged hole for a 10 shot group. You could cover most of the groups with a quarter. The majority of the MK IIs could get that accuracy with CCI standard, a few needed different (more expensive) ammo. The club had 9 rental MK IIs, and the members had a bunch, so I say this having watched around 20 MK IIs tested.

In 1998 I bought a Hammerli 208s. I went to the outdoor range and fired 10 shot groups, at 50 yards, with CCI standard, off sandbags, using an Ultradot. If I didn't screw up, the groups were just under 1". Just for fun, I also tried my MK II Gov't Stainless. The groups were around 1.25". Both guns are well within the X-ring of a 50 yard bullseye target.

I would expect this to be true of most well-made (Browning, Ruger, S&W,...) pistols. Since even High Master Bullseye shooters don't often shoot 10x at 50 yards, I wouldn't worry about the accuracy. Getting that accuracy with a less than ideal trigger is another topic, and that's where the $300-$400 pistols fail.

coyote hunter
11-29-10, 00:21
My .22 is a High Standard "The Victor"

It is by far my favorite handgun to shoot. It was my G-Pa's old competition gun, I am more accurate with that gun than just about any other handgun I've shot. The next would be the popular Buckmark. So I guess I would vote for the Buckmark, but if you stumble across a High Standard, take a look :)