PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Surfire M951 weapon light

devildogljb
11-22-10, 18:15
Whats every ones thoughts on it and if you have one how do you like it. I just traded a new one with batteries pressure switch, extra bulb, mount for rail system for a pair of oakley sun glasses i didnt want and that i got for a gift.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/photo1.jpg

richdkim77
11-22-10, 18:18
I used one on my old LMT duty rifle. I never had a problem with it and I used it frequently as I work nights. However, once I switched to a M600C scout light I realized what I was missing out on. The M951 was heavier, took up a lot of rail space and wasn't nearly as bright. Since these can be had for around $100 if you look, it's hard to beat price wise, but there are lighter more compact options.

devildogljb
11-22-10, 18:20
I should of put this is just going on my rifle for home defense and maybe some night shoots, not really sure if thats going to matter. Any one know what the battery life is?

richdkim77
11-22-10, 18:22
I was maybe getting 60 minutes-ish out the batteries. My M951 is now on my home defense carbine as well.

mcmillanman5
11-22-10, 18:22
I have a M951 just like you. I upgraded mine with this:
http://www.elzetta.com/m60_faq.htm

I like it better now with the drop in bulb.

C4IGrant
11-22-10, 18:24
They are big, heavy and not very bright.

C4

devildogljb
11-22-10, 18:40
I have a M951 just like you. I upgraded mine with this:
http://www.elzetta.com/m60_faq.htm

I like it better now with the drop in bulb.

thanks for the link once i check out the light and ill consider looking into this.

devildogljb
11-22-10, 18:45

C4

well i cant complain i got the glasses for free as a gift from a ex and its i needed a light just in case some one comes a knocking who shouldnt be.

Chameleox
11-22-10, 18:49

The Vikings' Defensive Line?;)

There has been at least one thread about these lights in the Lights sub-forum, where this one belongs.
My experience mirrors what has already been said. An aftermarket LED lamp assembly can help somewhat, but they're still clunky compared to Surefire's modern Millennium, Scout, and X- series products. They are, however, popping up on the second hand market at nice prices. And if you have a burning desire to run NVGs/IR, these, plus a filter, might work out OK, but you'll be stuck with an incandescent bulb for that purpose.

Code7inoaktown
11-22-10, 20:24
It's basically the equivalent of an incan 6P. Consider doing an LED upgrade on it for more light. My favorite is the older Malkoff M60 which was more of a thrower than the new M61. Another option may be the new D1000 drop-in. I have not tried that in a 6P/9P light, but it looks like a clone of the older M61 and uses an optical to get more throw. One issue will be the shock isolation used in the weaponlight heads. LED's need to run cool, and the isolation will not let it run as cool as it should. The D1000 and the M61 have pretty beefy chunks of metal though and will probably keep it running.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-d1000.html

I'm not certain, but I think the 951 uses the same bezel as the shock isolated bezel on my Surefire 618FA and the M60 was a drop-in easy that fore end. The difference in output will be pretty astounding as you will be going from 60 lumens (or 105 lumens) to 250+ lumens. If the thermals are an issue (if you intend to keep it switched on for say, half an hour) you should be able to replace the bezel for $25.

Black Wrench
11-23-10, 00:26
well i cant complain i got the glasses for free as a gift from a ex and its i needed a light just in case some one comes a knocking who shouldnt be.

For a trade for sun glasses you didn't want anyways i'd say it's a good deal. Now if you're asking about the light itself? I have both the M951 and the M600C scout. Can't even compare the two. Scout takes it by a long shot even with the bulb drop in. You still have weight and size to deal with but then again my scout is on my duty rifle so that's just me. For HD I wouldn't care what everyone else thinks. You have a good quality light for a great deal, more than I can say for some of the people on my dept. Hope you like it. Good luck. Oh and remember your light is only as good as your batteries.

Jake'sDad
11-23-10, 01:11

C4

Hey....I resemble that remark.....

Skang
11-23-10, 01:34
if you want your rifle slim, that is not the light for you.

My current set up is, G2/6P with XM tail cap, SR pressure switch, Vltor QD scout mount. mount close to top right or left.

but it's all depends on what kind rail you have.

kaltesherz
11-23-10, 02:15
Sure, the M951 is old, clunky, and heavy, but it's still a good durable light and sounds like an awesome trade. I'd be pretty stoked if I were you.

devildogljb
11-23-10, 03:26
[QUOTE=Oh and remember your light is only as good as your batteries.[/QUOTE]

yeah im sticking to only the best batteries. Ive been searching for a a tac light for awhile alot of my buddies told me to just buy some piece of *&$# and use a utg mount or something but i never looked into it(none own a AR over priced they said and they think im nuts for all the money i have in mine) because ive been running low on funds due to a shitty job market after i quit to take care of my mother who had cancer passed away in june. But ive been working here and there just barley making it and funds for a a great tac light where not there. So the crazy ex's gift had to go. And its a surefire cant go wrong with that company. But i think i can deal with the whole being a little too big and heavy ive got some big boy mussels plus i have a extended rail system on my carbine so i should be gtg. But thanks for the feedback every one i appericate it.

BufordTJustice
11-23-10, 03:52
and breathed new life into it for F*CKING CHEAP with this drop-in:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Best $8.32 you'll ever spend.

It's approx as bright as my 160 lumen streamlight Strion LED duty light. GREAT thrower and spill is perfect. You'll own 100 yards in any direction. With a tube of thermal grease from radio shack (~$5), ur set.

joffe
11-23-10, 06:37
I wouldn't trust that unit on a weapon.. Unless it was a plinking air rifle.

Shane1
11-23-10, 06:58
I still have my 951 that I was issued. I upgraded it with a TVNC led so improve the light output. It will be going backn on a rifle whne my rifle gets back from having a DD extended rail on it. Are there light, smaller, brighter lights out there? Big Yes. Are they free? Shit no. I say run it until it disintergrates.

BufordTJustice
11-23-10, 08:25
I wouldn't trust that unit on a weapon.. Unless it was a plinking air rifle.

I've had another one in my knock around 6P for just over a year. That light's been through hell and this conversion hasn't blinked. It's embarrassing that SF didn't have one of equal brightness and regulation until very recently.

So far, it's taken a lot more abuse than any SF incan lamp I've ever owned. And I've owned a few.

Is it equal to SF quality for one of their recently released 200 lumen LED head assemblies? I sure as hell hope not. I could make ten conversions plus some for the cost of one SF. Is it rugged enough for tactical use? So far, yes.

Code7inoaktown
11-23-10, 12:18
and breathed new life into it for F*CKING CHEAP with this drop-in:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Best $8.32 you'll ever spend.

It's approx as bright as my 160 lumen streamlight Strion LED duty light. GREAT thrower and spill is perfect. You'll own 100 yards in any direction. With a tube of thermal grease from radio shack (~$5), ur set.

I've had quite a few of the DX drop-ins over the years and have given them away as gifts. The probem? High failure rate. I bought a batch of drop-ins two Xmas's ago. Of those 5. Two have failed. Mind you, both were used in G2's with the plastic head. And that was a different batch (Q5 emitters) so it's a possibility that they have improved. Even on Surefire's drop-in, they don't recommend that you use it with a plastic head/bezel because it will degrade performance. On cheaper drop-ins without any thermal throttling, it just burns out the emitter. You will have the same issue with a weaponlight as the metal head has insulation in it to absorb shock for the incandescent. I recommend that you go with a quality drop-in like Malkoff or NeoFab's D1000 or swap the head out.

Your best course of action on your funding is to also just run the stock incan lamp assembly. It's "only" 60 lumens, but it is an incandescent which is more effective outdoors than most colder LED's, especially in smoke, rain or foggy environments.

BufordTJustice
11-23-10, 13:19
I've had quite a few of the DX drop-ins over the years and have given them away as gifts. The probem? High failure rate. I bought a batch of drop-ins two Xmas's ago. Of those 5. Two have failed. Mind you, both were used in G2's with the plastic head. And that was a different batch (Q5 emitters) so it's a possibility that they have improved. Even on Surefire's drop-in, they don't recommend that you use it with a plastic head/bezel because it will degrade performance. On cheaper drop-ins without any thermal throttling, it just burns out the emitter. You will have the same issue with a weaponlight as the metal head has insulation in it to absorb shock for the incandescent. I recommend that you go with a quality drop-in like Malkoff or NeoFab's D1000 or swap the head out.

Your best course of action on your funding is to also just run the stock incan lamp assembly. It's "only" 60 lumens, but it is an incandescent which is more effective outdoors than most colder LED's, especially in smoke, rain or foggy environments.

You stated the biggest concern for LED emitters: Heat.

Surefire G2 lights with the nitrolon head have zero ability to provide a heat-sink to the emitter. Even a top quality drop in will cook itself...or if temp regulated, it will throttle back to about 10% brightness until the heat dissipates (which it won't).

I just packed the head of the light with thermally conductive grease. The heat is now efficiently moved away from the emitter into the head (and then into the air). If your LED light's head doesn't get warm after running for five minutes, it's doomed to thermal failure. If it is a newer Q5 or R2 head (Much less a quad die setup), the head should get very warm in five minutes of running on high. If it only feels a little warm, there is no heat transfer and the emitter will fail...and I don't care who makes it.

I've had these DX emitters work Quite well, I just use the el-cheapo thermal grease liberally.

For the G2 lights whose emitter's failed, it;s why Malakoff recommends AGAINST their use in plastic head lights. The use of the 230 or 260 lumen Malakoff in an plastic head light will void their warranty if you try to exchange it. It's not the fault of the LED emitter...it's a faulty practice. It would be like installing spark plugs in your car without boot grease and wondering why you're arcing after 10K miles. Every LED emitter must shed heat. That's just the nature of LEDs, and it's not the fault of the admittedly cheap Deal Extreme R2 emitter drop in.