PDA

View Full Version : MSAR MAGS in STEYR AUG A3???

AuProspector
11-22-10, 23:05
I was at the range with a friend who was shooting his MSAR. I had my new Steyr AUG A3. We decided to try an experiment with the different mfg'd magazines... To see if his mags would work in my AUG, (which seemed to work OK). He knew that my AUG mags would not work in his MSAR, and they didn't.

The few rounds I put down range using his MSAR mags in my Steyr AUG A3 worked well. MSAR mags at CDNN are less expensive than the Steyr's. Is there any problem with using these mags for practice in my Steyr AUG that I'm not aware of? What is the quality of the MSAR mags?

Thanks for your help.

SteyrAUG
11-22-10, 23:42
I was at the range with a friend who was shooting his MSAR. I had my new Steyr AUG A3. We decided to try an experiment with the different mfg'd magazines... To see if his mags would work in my AUG, (which seemed to work OK). He knew that my AUG mags would not work in his MSAR, and they didn't.

The few rounds I put down range using his MSAR mags in my Steyr AUG A3 worked well. MSAR mags at CDNN are less expensive than the Steyr's. Is there any problem with using these mags for practice in my Steyr AUG that I'm not aware of? What is the quality of the MSAR mags?

Thanks for your help.

They work, they aren't the same quality as factory Steyr mags but they aren't bad magazines.

lloydkristmas
11-23-10, 00:40
The MSAR AUG clones had lots of issues but one of the major ones was magazines.

Their in-house built mags are not that great.

I know Steyr mags are $$$ but its probably worth the extra for the step up in quality

scottryan
11-23-10, 11:45
Is there any problem with using these mags for practice in my Steyr AUG that I'm not aware of? What is the quality of the MSAR mags?

You can afford a real AUG. You can afford real AUG magazines.

SteyrAUG
11-23-10, 16:44
The MSAR AUG clones had lots of issues but one of the major ones was magazines.

Their in-house built mags are not that great.

I know Steyr mags are $$$ but its probably worth the extra for the step up in quality

Just curious, what were the problems. I haven't noticed any issues with the magazines yet..

Kchen986
11-23-10, 17:08
Just curious, what were the problems. I haven't noticed any issues with the magazines yet..

My loaded MSAR Magazine feed lips spread to the point where the magazine wouldn't load in to my MSAR or AR15s without significant resistance. It seems like loading 30 rounds in to a MSAR Mag for significant periods of time results in the feed lips deforming outwards.

BR870
11-23-10, 18:26
My loaded MSAR Magazine feed lips spread to the point where the magazine wouldn't load in to my MSAR or AR15s without significant resistance. It seems like loading 30 rounds in to a MSAR Mag for significant periods of time results in the feed lips deforming outwards.
Thats the E4 mags, which sucked... OP is talking about the mags for the STG556, not the E4

AuProspector
11-23-10, 18:45
You can afford a real AUG. You can afford real AUG magazines.

Scottryan

I find your comments disrespectful and off topic.

Pikey
11-23-10, 19:27

Thanks for your help.

I have several Steyr 42 round mags that work fine in my STG556. They are the older imported ones. It took some break in before they would lock the bolt open when empty.

I have not had any problems with the 42 or 20 round MSAR mags. I think the quality is as good or better then Steyr. I have a 42 round MSAR mag that has been loader full for at least four months, no problems so far.

texasyid
11-23-10, 19:41
I think using MSAR mags in a Steyr AUG is disrespectful.

alaskacop
11-24-10, 04:02
Scottryan

I find this is a common theme with AUGsnob's...own both, shoot both and MSAR mags (amber ones) are just and rugged and realiable as AUG mags (I even prefer them slighty over AUG ones because the amber is clearer than the cloudy). Only issue I ever had was a 42 round solid black MSAR mag...which wasn't as popular anyway. Add the fact that they are almost half the cost of an AUG mag (for now) and it seals the deal for me. I still will buy AUG mags but I own twice as much amber 30's and 42's....

alaskacop
11-24-10, 04:10

MSAR's E4 mags were recalled due to these issues...at least that is what I heard, but I thought we were talking about their STG556 mags. I have two 42's and three 30's loaded...and been that way for two years with zero issues (of course I download ALL my rifle mags by two rounds, including PMAG's...and those can develop splitting issues too, hence the cap). Just like my AUG mags, they still function perfectly from first to last round fired.

JOHNO
11-24-10, 05:52
Scottryan

Though I would probably have worded it a little differently......................I tend to agree with Scottryan. When it comes to mags buy the best you can afford, it always pays in the long run.

kal
11-24-10, 06:28
Though I would probably have worded it a little differently

Oh it was worded differently alright. :D

He edited it before things got out of hand.

And yes, AUG mags in AUG rifles.

Goes for other firearms too.

doodi1
11-24-10, 12:51
The clear (amber) STG mags are GTG and very reliable. The problems came about when they added the dye to color the polymer. The dyes softened the resin and made it more prone to deformation. Stick with the clear ones and you will be happy.

Kchen986
11-24-10, 12:53
MSAR's E4 mags were recalled due to these issues...at least that is what I heard, but I thought we were talking about their STG556 mags. I have two 42's and three 30's loaded...and been that way for two years with zero issues (of course I download ALL my rifle mags by two rounds, including PMAG's...and those can develop splitting issues too, hence the cap). Just like my AUG mags, they still function perfectly from first to last round fired.

Yea, I'm a retard. Didn't occur to me they were talking exclusively about Steyr AUG-type (not E4) mags.

sgtlmj
11-25-10, 18:27
I have a couple MSAR mags that they sent me to try in my AUG A3. I had to sand down the little nub at the top-front of the mag to make them lock in like they should. Other than that they run fine.

All but the early STG-556's are able to run Steyr mags. If you have an older stock, a few minutes with a nail file on the ribs inside the magwell will allow you to run Steyr mags. MSAR did this in order to sell more of their mags, but owners were vocal and they fixed this at the same time that they did away with the forward assist.