PDA

View Full Version : NEW XDm Compact

deadduck357
11-23-10, 01:07
http://www.the-m-factor.com/CompactInfo.pdf

BigBuckeye
11-23-10, 06:57
Oh that pisses me off.......I just bought the 3.8.....

Johnny Knoxville
11-23-10, 09:28
That might be worth a look see some day. I have been looking at the M&P Pro in 9, but this may be a winner.

Have to see how it come out in the reviews.

BTW this is post ONE for me. Howdy from East Tennessee.

QuadBomb
11-23-10, 09:36
I'd keep looking at the M&P if I were you.

Edit: Howdy, welcome to M4C.

BigBuckeye
11-23-10, 09:47
You won't regret the XD. Up to a 1050 rounds now on my XDM without a stopage of ANY kind. The last 500 rounds have been without any cleaning or lubrication.

A good 250 rounds have been with Blazer Aluminun. I would think that if I was going to have a stopage, it would be with that...

Johnny Knoxville
11-23-10, 10:01
Thanks for the welcome. I just added a Walther P99 AS to the fold so unless a nice Smith 19 or 66 rears its head I'm finished with 2010 buys.

I don't have an AR yet so I'm researching shopping a mid length for now. That is a real educational process I can tell you that. I (say) I only plan on one so I want to make it right.

GO GREEN. :dance3:

DasBulk
11-23-10, 10:30
My interests are piqued.

AR15thur
11-23-10, 10:48
Lots of XD hate on the board, but I've got an XD Sub Compact that has been driven hard at the range and in competition and has never hiccuped once on me. I felt the full size XDm was a little big for my taste, but this might be one I pick up and try out.

friendlyfireisnt
11-23-10, 13:07
I had a XD9 subcompact for several years. Never kept an official round count tally on it, but I know I put at least 2.5k through it. Only failures I ever had were with Blazer aluminum case, and that only choked it a couple times.

At the same time, I never really liked that pistol. Probably one of the hardest pistols to shoot well that I have ever shot.

The new version looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up.

badness
11-23-10, 13:20
man, i just wished they produced 10rd mags from the factory. The added cost to the firearm that dealers charge to have the mags custom pinned is ridiculous. It also makes finding them retarded.

Militant83
11-23-10, 14:53
Ive always wanted to shoot an XD if I ever ran across one at the range to shoot..but for now I will stick to my glocks.

scottryan
11-23-10, 15:36
You won't regret the XD.

When it comes time to service this with factory parts you will or when the magazines break. Or when it comes time to find a holster.

Need to stick with Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&Ps, or a Walther P99 if you want a striker fired gun.

deadduck357
11-23-10, 16:33
I'd keep looking at the M&P if I were you.

I have never been fond of the M&P grip.

DBZ220
11-23-10, 16:45
Actually, factory XD/M parts are much easier to find now than ever before. Only hard to find part, that shouldn't be, is the extractor. Small parts cost is about par with Glock too. The weapon is a tiny bit harder to work on though, which can be troublesome. In my experience, Springfield will replace mags that fail for free as well. This new offering does look interesting!

ranburr
11-23-10, 18:03
When it comes time to service this with factory parts you will or when the magazines break. Or when it comes time to find a holster.

Need to stick with Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&Ps, or a Walther P99 if you want a striker fired gun.

Never had a a mag break with well over 10K rounds through two of them. Just about anyone who makes a holster for a Glock makes one for the XD series. You can get just about any factory part with the exception of a extractor. It is certainly easier to find all of this more available than for a Walther P99. I have found the XDs to be more reliable than a M&P. Glock pretty musch set the standard for striker fired pistols and you will get no arguement from me where they are concerned.

SpookyPistolero
11-23-10, 19:13
Actually, factory XD/M parts are much easier to find now than ever before. Only hard to find part, that shouldn't be, is the extractor. Small parts cost is about par with Glock too. The weapon is a tiny bit harder to work on though, which can be troublesome. In my experience, Springfield will replace mags that fail for free as well. This new offering does look interesting!

That's an issue since apparently their extractors like to take a dump. Mine did.

GermanSynergy
11-23-10, 19:28
What's your definition of being "driven hard"? The disdain for XD's around here stems not from blind hatred, but the fact that they aren't in the same league as the Glock or M&P in terms of long term reliability.

Lots of XD hate on the board, but I've got an XD Sub Compact that has been driven hard at the range and in competition and has never hiccuped once on me. I felt the full size XDm was a little big for my taste, but this might be one I pick up and try out.

Underwood 43
11-23-10, 20:16
If they make one in .45 acp I would give one a try. Already have a xd9 sub compact. so don't need an xdm compact in 9mm.

PdxMotoxer
11-24-10, 02:23
I bought my M&P9c and never looked back.
The one and only time i had to deal with S&W customer service was great.

I see on the grip of that XDm (MADE in CROATIA)

So they are NOT made in IL??? hummmMMmmm :big_boss:

nrose8989
11-24-10, 03:41
Great......

A new addition to the XD(m)alfunction lineup!

variablebinary
11-24-10, 05:08
That's an issue since apparently their extractors like to take a dump. Mine did.

Every single XD I've seen, shot, owned, whatever, and I do mean 100%, has had extractor issues.

If a design is going to use internal extractor, you need great QC and attention to detail.

QuadBomb
11-24-10, 09:36
If they make one in .45 acp I would give one a try. Already have a xd9 sub compact. so don't need an xdm compact in 9mm.

Don't hold your breath. Nobody makes subcompact .45s, unless you're willing to fork out for some type of micro-1911.

Semizal0311
11-24-10, 09:55
Would models like the Glock 30 or 36 not be considered "subcompact"?

QuadBomb
11-24-10, 10:10
Would models like the Glock 30 or 36 not be considered "subcompact"?

I suppose they would be. I was thinking of 3.5" or shorter as subcompact. The 30 and 36 certainly do have short grips, so I stand corrected.

streck
11-24-10, 10:15
Every single XD I've seen, shot, owned, whatever, and I do mean 100%, has had extractor issues.

If a design is going to use internal extractor, you need great QC and attention to detail.

I'll let you know when either of mine do.

DBZ220
11-24-10, 11:18
Surprising the extractor hasn't been a problem I've encountered with this platform yet. It *should* be easy to obtain, not sure what their reasoning is for not making it so.
I was involved with 2 different depts sidearm testing, in which the XD was submitted among other popular brands/models. We experienced broken striker retaining roll pins, and the cocking indicator broke off too after awhile. That was it, these were XD40's and 9's. No other mechanical problems/failures. The XD's failed selection overall though based on Springfield's support system, mainly certain key parts NOT being provided to the dept armorers. Extractor damage, ship to factory, etc, etc.

gtmtnbiker98
11-24-10, 12:49
Don't hold your breath. Nobody makes subcompact .45s, unless you're willing to fork out for some type of micro-1911.Ummmm, not true. Do some research before making such claims. Ever hear of a Kahr PM45?

BigBuckeye
11-24-10, 15:15
I know of no company that has better customer service than Springfield. I am confident that IF I should have any problem, they will fix it.

Furthermore, I have a Glock26 that has experienced several malfunctions. I have also fired a .40 cal Glock that too had several malfunctions. I have brought this up on other forums and I am constantly told what anomolies these are.....

I like my 26, I love my 92fs and I love this XDM so far... I think a lot of this is fanboy BS.

DireWulf
11-24-10, 21:45
I like my 26, I love my 92fs and I love this XDM so far... I think a lot of this is fanboy BS.

As said by DocGKR over in his section of the forum:

"XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD."

I'm not a person who relates what I've read or heard somewhere and touts it as the truth, so I'll give you my personal experience. I participated in one such test of the XD 9mm. The XDs, both of them, broke. One of them twice and one at 1700 rounds. They were the first guns eliminated from the selection process.

I own an XD-9 that I bought used, dirt cheap, from a family friend who lost his wife to illness and and his job. It was my way of giving him money to help out without making him feel badly about taking it. I teach my teenage daughter to shoot with this gun because she finds that the grip is comfortable. I would not carry an XD for defense unless I had no other choice. Not after my experience. It's a nice range toy, but there are proven better options for duty or concealed carry in the same price range. The track record of this gun is well known by LE test and evaluation professionals in the larger agencies. This gun was heavily tested when it first hit the market and has been revisited several more times. The results have not changed.

GermanSynergy
11-24-10, 22:33
The guns are indeed manufactured in Karlovac, Croatia, and are marketed and sold by Springfield Armory in IL.

I bought my M&P9c and never looked back.
The one and only time i had to deal with S&W customer service was great.

I see on the grip of that XDm (MADE in CROATIA)

So they are NOT made in IL??? hummmMMmmm :big_boss:

brian704
11-25-10, 00:33
love my SAXD had a 40 and just sold it...not one problem...

i daily carry my SAXD 9SC not one problem with her...

if i do not get this germany job and move i will buy this in a heart beat

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-25-10, 00:37
Thats what Ive been waiting for. If it can hold a proven track record, MAYBE itll replace my 26.

QuadBomb
11-25-10, 10:06
Ummmm, not true. Do some research before making such claims. Ever hear of a Kahr PM45?

I have now. :suicide:

Seraph
11-25-10, 10:31
Awesome. Swapping mags transforms it into a "match grade powerhouse." :sarcastic:

gtmtnbiker98
11-25-10, 10:58
I know of no company that has better customer service than Springfield. I am confident that IF I should have any problem, they will fix it.

Furthermore, I have a Glock26 that has experienced several malfunctions. I have also fired a .40 cal Glock that too had several malfunctions. I have brought this up on other forums and I am constantly told what anomolies these are.....

What fanboy BS, yours or ours?

BigBuckeye
11-25-10, 20:43
What fanboy BS, yours or ours?

Yours

dirvo85
11-26-10, 00:36
This is a definite viable option for me. I used to think the xd(m) 3.8 fell short because of the short barrel and full size grip. It has been my experience that the grip is what makes the firearm concealable not the barrel length. I hope to get my hands on one of these to shoot berry soon. This may be a very good complement to my m&p 9c........ Than again ot could not.