PDA

View Full Version : fire string....

langston302
11-23-10, 08:49
I have fallen in love with the jute twine wax combo.....

I take any length of jute and soak it in melted paraffin wax. I have lengths of this stuff in all my BUG fire kits.
This stuff takes to a spark well from a ferro rod and its water proof too. I find it burns slow and hot enough to get some damp tinder up and burning. Its simple and easy to make and carry and get burning. since its still sting it can be tied around a bundle of tinder and hold it all togther.

make some its great stuff.

556mp
12-05-10, 18:06
Good idea. I'll have to give it a try.

A few years back I would take a small piece of paper, about the size of a post-it note, and fold it up. Then dip the base in wax repeatedly so that it would form a small candle. But, because the paper was being used as a wick it would burn a larger flame and last about 2 minutes.

Do you coil the twine up to make a small nest when you light it or just leave it in a short strand?

Spiffums
12-05-10, 19:44
I like to play with Cannon fuse......... but it's nasty at times. :sarcastic:

langston302
12-06-10, 11:01
I leave it as a string or wrap it around the tinder....it burns nicely and is only limited by your imagination

gofer
12-08-10, 19:41
I put some mineral oil on my jute and let it soak overnight. The next day I used a paper towel and soaked up the excess mineral oil. I used my wife's candle warmer and dipped the jute in melted candle wax. I carry it in a metal tin and it works great. If you use a candle from Yankee Candle it will smells nice too. Just don't let the wife catch you:sarcastic: dipping things in her candle wax.

EmbraceRealityLV
12-19-10, 10:03
Lol....could have Vanilla or Cinnamon scented firestarter!

We are using dryer lint mixed 50/50 with Vaseline in a little pill bottle...a little dab does it, once ignited it is near impossible to put out. You can get creative and shave a little soft magnesium in it too.

Iraq Ninja
12-19-10, 11:40
I will have to try the fire string.

I am more of a fat wood kind of guy. Here is a good link about how to find it in the bush and how to use it...

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6096

MeanRider
12-19-10, 13:19
a cotton ball soaked in vasaline then squeeze the exsess off and put into a small ziplock bag makes a nice little starter as well.

CarbonCycles
12-26-10, 22:35
Dryer lint sealed in a water tight container or coated with wax - situation dependent but stuff works really well.