PDA

View Full Version : Knights Armament URX-3

Fr3EK
11-23-10, 09:59
Apparently they have a new rail, the URX-3. I don't know if this is a repost, but I tried searching and didn't see it anywhere.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/09/28/knights-armaments-new-urx-3-rail-breaks-cover-at-modern-day-marine/

jbo723
11-23-10, 10:22
This is the rail that is going to be on the Special Edition KAC/Magpul E3 and was also being tested on a few other rifles. I asked KAC if it was going to available for commercial sales and was told that it wasn't going to be available anytime soon if at all. I'm hoping that this will be the next URX version so, I guess we just have to wait and see.

NastyButler
11-23-10, 10:38
Not to hate on KAC, but what is the point of this? The reason rails are put on rifles is to add space for various optics, lasers, etc. The space that is not needed is then covered by a panel. So now every time you want to add something else to your weapon you have to add another rail? Seems like more of a hassle to me. I would also be thinking of the heat coming off of the barrel. Now instead of a panel covering a rail to decrease the amount of heat, your hand will now be exposed to the heat straight from the barrel. My .02 cents.

superchi
11-23-10, 11:23
Not to hate on KAC, but what is the point of this? The reason rails are put on rifles is to add space for various optics, lasers, etc. The space that is not needed is then covered by a panel. So now every time you want to add something else to your weapon you have to add another rail? Seems like more of a hassle to me. I would also be thinking of the heat coming off of the barrel. Now instead of a panel covering a rail to decrease the amount of heat, your hand will now be exposed to the heat straight from the barrel. My .02 cents.

I think it's explained fairly well in the article:

KAC’s Kevin Boland was on hand at the show and explained, “once guys have their light, PEQ and bipod in place, there’s not much need for any of the other Picatinny rail surfaces. So, why bother with the extra weight and rail covers if you don’t ever use the rail space?”

NastyButler
11-23-10, 11:41
I move my optics, laser ,etc all the time. It comes down to METT-TC for me. It seems to me that by removing the rails you take away from the modularity of the gun. That brings me back to the heat from the barrel. You now have a very small buffer between you and the heat from the barrel.

blackbox
11-23-10, 14:19
i'm loving the elevation knob... no sight tool required. wonder why nobody ever thought of that before?

kaltesherz
11-23-10, 14:20
I think it makes sense on an SPR type rifle where you're only going to add a PEQ , bipod, and maybe a light. I mean, how often do you really move around your stuff? Bipod doesn't have too many places to go, and you'll need to rezero your PEQ every time you move it. It doesn't take long to figure out what works for you. If you're humping an SPR /M110 type rifle it weights enough, shaving off some excess is always good. Also with those type of rifles they're not going to be putting enough rounds downrange to really heat up the hand guards much.

Robb Jensen
11-23-10, 14:33
Seems to make perfect sense to me. Most people only use about 15-20% of the available rail space anyway so why not make the rail/tube smaller lighter and more customizable?

NastyButler
11-23-10, 15:05
Guess I am alone on this one.

MistWolf
11-23-10, 15:38

That's the problem with metal handguards in general, is they get hot. I'd rather they made them out of composites.

You can cover the rail with a cover to protect your hand from the heat but they make the handguards fat.

Rails aren't the only way attach covers to the handguard. If they can make rails that can be attached to these new handguards, why not plastic grip panels instead? They could be made much slimmer than conventional covers and in about any shape

Magic_Salad0892
11-23-10, 17:39
This with the option to remove the front sight would be the best FF Rail solution on the market, IMO.

badness
11-23-10, 19:46
i like the modularity of removable panels. If you don't move stuff around all the time, then you set the panels you want, put on whatever accessories you want and you're done. Set it and forget it.

If you change stuff around all the time, then the rails will probably get chewed up pretty quickly. So having replaceable rails sounds like a good idea. That way you'll have nice straight rails that aren't all worn and chewed up and it will save you a lot of money rather than having to buy a whole new FF rail OR a whole new upper. (If you've got a colt or LMT monolithic)

LAWMENS
11-24-10, 08:44
Guess I am alone on this one.

You're not alone I played with the URX-3's and they are very nice especially the ones going on the Magpul Dynamics collaboration gun. But the URX-3 isn't intended to replace any of the current production rails. It is merely just another option (that we are testing) for operators and shooters to choose from to ensure the best possible shooting one could hope to attain. I have no idea if it will even make it past the testing phase and into production, but I would like it to.

B.K.
11-24-10, 10:54
Where could one get on the KAC/MAGPUL rifle pre-order list?

jbo723
11-24-10, 11:07
Where could one get on the KAC/MAGPUL rifle pre-order list?

I'd contact Casey at Lawmens..The contact info is in his sig line in the post above yours.

NastyButler
11-24-10, 12:27
You're not alone I played with the URX-3's and they are very nice especially the ones going on the Magpul Dynamics collaboration gun. But the URX-3 isn't intended to replace any of the current production rails. It is merely just another option (that we are testing) for operators and shooters to choose from to ensure the best possible shooting one could hope to attain. I have no idea if it will even make it past the testing phase and into production, but I would like it to.

I know KAC makes great and well thought out products. My M4 had the KAC rail system on it and it held up during both both my tours in Iraq. I have the URX-II on both my personal AR-15s and adore them. I just, personally, think that system will not hold up in a field environment. Again, my .02 cents.

RD62
11-24-10, 13:03
I like it.

Kind of reminds me of the old S.I.R. system (I liked my S.I.R. :D), although I'm sure it is lighter and obviously doesn't raise the level of the upper rail. I've only glanced at the URX3 in the link, but the profile and removable rails gave me a little flashback...

payj
11-24-10, 13:52
While different rails concept may still apply........I was debating the tubular mega mono upper over the railed version. The tubular does in fact weight less. Thing is once you added enough rails for a light and grip it weighted out to be actually more. And that was only a few rails not the whole thing covered. Therefore I went with the railed version. Rails ver the whole thing and the extra space if I ever did need it.

Nuland
04-08-11, 21:15
can the URX III be purchased anywhere yet?

jonconsiglio
04-08-11, 21:18
Yes, there was a dealer with 4 and a buddy got one from another guy as well, all rifle length.

Nuland
04-08-11, 21:28
Thanks. I didn't realize they were only available in rifle length. Any idea when if/when mid length will be released?

outrider627
04-09-11, 00:08
Yes, there was a dealer with 4 and a buddy got one from another guy as well, all rifle length.

1. Does this dealer have a website?
2. How much did your friend pay?

Rattlehead
04-09-11, 03:10

Question is not directed at me, but I was told $400 for the URX III rifle length.

I'm going to wait around for the midlength, whenever it gets released.

jonconsiglio
04-09-11, 09:33
1. Does this dealer have a website?

I don't think he's a sponsor here so I'd rather not advertise for him not sure how that works.

One guy paid $400 but the guy with 4 was selling them for $325 or $335.

They're pretty nice, but I just don't know how well they'll hold up compared to the URX II. See, the VTAC, Troy, new DD, etc are tubular and that makes them a lot stronger. The LW URX II and URX III are two piece designs and as much as I like them and think they make for a great lightweight build (URX II LW mid length just over 10 ounces and the URX III rifle length just over 13) they just don't feel as solid/durable as I'd like FOR MY NEEDS.

But, they do make a great lightweight rail and as much as I hate to even aknowledge this, there's a cool factor for a lot of guys that will make them sell.

I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing the rails, I'm not at all. Per Casey, these are just another option for guys looking for something other than a URX II. It's not for everyone.

Stickman
04-09-11, 10:42
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%206/IMG_1630-1024-stick.jpg

eternal24k
04-09-11, 10:58
I definitely agree with this being more of an SPR thing. I would still want panels for grip and heat displacement for a run-n-gun stick, so that would bring me right back to a standard quad rail.

graffex
04-09-11, 11:40
Looks like a great idea to me.

jonconsiglio
04-09-11, 11:47
Stick, is that Costa's URX III with the mulit(?) cam pattern?

Got to admit, it does look really good. I'm basing my durability opinion off of my LW URX II. The URX III may be different with the solid slick rails.

Dennis Todd
05-22-11, 21:56
I received some URX-IIIs from KAC. They are Waaay cool, come with an integral flip-up front sight and are very light weight.
Dennis

OTO27
05-23-11, 01:41
I heard that someone figured out how to put KAC rail covers on the smooth surface. If this is true I may be sold on it. Anyone seen this done or better yet, have a pic?

Rattlehead
05-23-11, 01:48
It was done by post tensioned over at ST.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=69662&start=50