PDA

View Full Version : 3-Gun Long Range Steel - Hold over or dial in adjustment?

MustangGreg66
11-23-10, 13:00
Looking over the 16 vs 18" barrel thread I got to wondering. At longer range stages, say 350-500 yard steel shots. Do you dial in adjustments into your scope or hold over?

Like I said in the other thread. The matches I've shot locally have only been to 200 yards, but I've shot at longer distances. It seems holding over would be faster, but you'd have a more accurate shot if you dialed in elevation at those longer distances...

So what say you?

Robb Jensen
11-23-10, 14:12
Hold over. With scopes that give you reference points like a Trijicon ACOG or Burris XTR it makes it quite easy.

kelly neal
11-23-10, 14:31
I would almost never ever dial. It's far to slow as the shooter must switch their focus from sight picture to scope turret, make sure they have dialed the proper dope and then reacquire the target. Think how many rounds you could have sent in that time period. With the plethora of BDC reticles (Leupold's CMR, etc.), it is fairly easy to engage multiple targets at multiple distances.

Even when shooting a reticle without a BDC (circle dot, cross hairs, etc.), I would either hold high or use a 300 meter zero if faced with a lot of longer range targets (and hold low on the closers ones).

uscbigdawg
11-23-10, 19:15
200 yard zero and you're on dead on 'til about 250-ish and even then my hold over on a MGM flasher is the rectangular section above the plate.

Way faster to hold over then dial. Hell...shooting "sniper" matches I don't dial wind, just elevation.

Rich