PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" vs 16" Midlength

Seagrave7
11-23-10, 16:40
Which is better and why?

Cameron
11-23-10, 17:29
Neither is better unless you are after a specific goal to accomplish.

What would be the purpose for your new AR?

Cameron

royal_fox
11-23-10, 17:36
I prefer the 14.5" a tad bit lighter with the light weight han guard and still has good accuracy.

Seagrave7
11-23-10, 17:46
Goal = build a light weight Midlength to use in classes. My current and only 16" carbine AR is definitely not light but by no means heavy and I have been contemplating a lighter build for many months now.

With that said, the idea of a 14.5" with a perm muzzle device sounds like a great build on paper and from what others have written as reviews. The issue I am going back and forth on is that a 14.5" does not allow me to adjust handguards nor muzzle devices easily down the road. And I am one to try new products. As I've read from many others it seems the 14.5" middy is very nice and soft to shoot. But is it really that much different then the 16" middy? Any factual information between the two?

Mega
11-23-10, 19:14
Goal = build a light weight Midlength to use in classes. My current and only 16" carbine AR is definitely not light but by no means heavy and I have been contemplating a lighter build for many months now.

With that said, the idea of a 14.5" with a perm muzzle device sounds like a great build on paper and from what others have written as reviews. The issue I am going back and forth on is that a 14.5" does not allow me to adjust handguards nor muzzle devices easily down the road. And I am one to try new products. As I've read from many others it seems the 14.5" middy is very nice and soft to shoot. But is it really that much different then the 16" middy? Any factual information between the two?

Having said all that... and since you stated you wanted a lightweight rifle, why not go SBR?

Seagrave7
11-23-10, 19:17
Having said all that... and since you stated you wanted a lightweight rifle, why not go SBR?

Don't get me wrong if I could I would. Unfortunately, I live in CA.

Mega
11-23-10, 19:18
Don't get me wrong if I could I would. Unfortunately, I live in CA.

Understand.
Sorry...

strambo
11-23-10, 19:22
"why not go SBR?"

Indeed, if the pinned muzzle device is an extra $45, then a sweet 11.5" is only another $155! (With the ability to add more short uppers to that lower.)

That said, though my one AR is an SBR lower with an LMT MRP upper with 16" and 10.5" barrels. My next build is going to be a 14.5" light weight middy with perm Phantom. I'll be more or less wedded to the MOE handguard or something like the DD Omegas etc...w/o the hassle of removing the perm FH. I can live with that for a short, handy 2nd rifle.

Cameron
11-23-10, 19:40
The issue I am going back and forth on is that a 14.5" does not allow me to adjust handguards nor muzzle devices easily down the road. And I am one to try new products. As I've read from many others it seems the 14.5" middy is very nice and soft to shoot. But is it really that much different then the 16" middy? Any factual information between the two?

You have basically figured it out for yourself, the 1.5" in barrel length will not make that much of a difference, especially if you want to be able to change muzzle devices and rails later. I would stick with a 16" and if you want to go lighter perhaps a light weight barrel contour, if you want softer shooting get a brake or comp.

Both my 14.5" and 16" mid length are very smooth shooting rifles, I have a 14.5" BCM mid length with a permed comp, and a 16" DD mid length.

The reason I didn't mind the pinned muzzle device on my 14.5", was that I knew I wouldn't want to change the rail.

DD 16"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1256/5142053848_f51026ddc9_z.jpg

BCM 14.5"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1188/5141448281_00d8f9605e_z.jpg

Cameron

wolf_walker
11-23-10, 20:50
Cameron, I have a stupid question I've been waiting to ask and your photo's are a good chance. Looking at em and from your desc of a permed muzzle device on the 14.5 I assume it's the longer one to bring the 14.5 up to legal barrel length, yes? If so, is it an optical illusion or is the 14.5 still shorter than the 16" with standard muzzle device. I've never measured one but is the 16" over 16" with the muzzle device? I'm surprised nobody makes an in between size that will end up just exactly legal-enough with a standard break/comp/hider no?

Johnny Knoxville
11-23-10, 21:04
Nice rifles and great pics.

Question for you, actually two:

What is the base weight of the BCM 14.5?

How is the standard trigger from BCM? Were you able to live with it?
These two items are glaringly missing from the website. With the detail put forth you would think these two items would be included.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie to the AR world and thinking the RECCE looks like a quality mid $$ range unit? What brand are the flip-ups?
I see NIB priced at 1326.00 is that a decent price?

SapperRob
11-23-10, 21:53
Cameron, I have a stupid question I've been waiting to ask and your photo's are a good chance. Looking at em and from your desc of a permed muzzle device on the 14.5 I assume it's the longer one to bring the 14.5 up to legal barrel length, yes? If so, is it an optical illusion or is the 14.5 still shorter than the 16" with standard muzzle device. I've never measured one but is the 16" over 16" with the muzzle device? I'm surprised nobody makes an in between size that will end up just exactly legal-enough with a standard break/comp/hider no?

The 14.5 w/extended flash hider is about 1 1/2" shorter and 3 ounces lighter than a 16 with standard flash hider. This can vary depending on the muzzle device used.

To the OP, I prefer the 14.5 to 16. I have 2 14.5 LWs, one of which started out as a 16 but got cut down by ADCO after I installed a VTAC tube. They are both soft shooting (H2 buffers), balanced, and handle well. An SBR is not an option where I live and I don't switch out FF rails or muzzle devices, I buy new uppers...

YMMV,
Rob

Cameron
11-23-10, 21:53
If so, is it an optical illusion or is the 14.5 still shorter than the 16" with standard muzzle device.

No illusion it is still shorter, the 16" is actually a 16" barrel + the flash hider or about 17". The 14.5" is actually a 14.5" barrel + 1.5" flash hider or 16".

strambo
11-23-10, 21:54
Wolf, 16" barrels are over 16" with muzzle device. With an A2 I think they are about 17.2" or so.

The 14.5s usually come in around 16.1" with most permed devices, some are longer than others.

If you look at his photos again, the tip of his brake on the 14.5" is about the same length as to the rings on the A2 FH over the threads on the 16".

wolf_walker
11-23-10, 22:06
Huh, that's makes sense now. Thanks guys.

Seagrave7
11-23-10, 22:22
Cameron thanks for the reply. Do you notice any difference in shooting the 16 vs the 14.5? As you mentioned one has a comp and one a FH so that may play into it. Curious if you had everything else the same between those two guns how they would compare?

SapperRob do you have any photos and the specs of your 14.5 build?

Here are my two build options:

#1.
14.5" DD 1:7 Lightweight Profile Mid Length Gas System
DD Low Profile Gas Block
Troy 11" TRX Extreme Black
BattleComp 1.5 Black Oxide (Pinned)
DD M16 Bolt Carrier Group

#2.
16" DD 1:7 Lightweight Profile Mid Length Gas System
DD Low Profile Gas Block
Troy 11" TRX Extreme Black
BattleComp 1.0 Black Oxide
DD M16 Bolt Carrier Group

BTW, one of the above uppers will be going on a custom DD lower built by Grant. Already in the mail to my FFL. I'm starting to lean more towards #2 just to give me more options down the road. Although if I do decide to go with #1 I could always just buy a new upper.............

Cameron
11-23-10, 22:34
What is the base weight of the BCM 14.5?

How is the standard trigger from BCM? Were you able to live with it?

Thanks in advance.

Newbie to the AR world and thinking the RECCE looks like a quality mid $$ range unit? What brand are the flip-ups?
I see NIB priced at 1326.00 is that a decent price?

I don't know the base weight of the 14.5".

The trigger felt pretty much like all mil spec triggers a little gritty and heavy I had a local smith tweak it for $25

Cameron

Cameron
11-23-10, 22:44
Cameron thanks for the reply. Do you notice any difference in shooting the 16 vs the 14.5? As you mentioned one has a comp and one a FH so that may play into it. Curious if you had everything else the same between those two guns how they would compare?

My 14.5" has a comp so it is not an apples to apples comparison, but it would be very hard to tell the difference between them, but a mate of mine has the 14.5" with the A2 extended flash hider and it feels very very close to my 16" mid length.

BTW, one of the above uppers will be going on a custom DD lower built by Grant. Already in the mail to my FFL. I'm starting to lean more towards #2 just to give me more options down the road. Although if I do decide to go with #1 I could always just buy a new upper.............

I got the DD lower my 16" is on from Grant too, and it was a good deal. If I was you I would get #2 also, the permanent muzzle device can be a real pain in the ass if you want to change the carbine. The specs you have would be a sweet setup.

Cameron

Brahmzy
11-23-10, 23:37
I've had many of each and prefer the 14.5 middy. I even SBR'd another lower just so I didn't have to jack with pin n welds anymore.
The 14.5's just point quicker, period. They feel better in the hands.
Plenty of velocity.

Johnny Knoxville
11-24-10, 07:47
Am I right assuming that the standard rail on the BCM REECCE -14.5is somehow permanantly fixed or can only be changed out by a trained professional?

It seems those who have the DD Lite Rail or Troy Vtac Xtreme had them installed at the factory??