PDA

View Full Version : BENT Extractor Depressor Plunger @ Glock 22...

no1ofconsequence
11-23-10, 22:26
During annual inspections... I came across a EDP that was BENT... inside an otherwise functioning Glock 22.

Anyone ever seen this? ...how common? ...any guesses on causation?!?!

:confused:

Robb Jensen
11-23-10, 22:27
Never have seen one and I've worked on a few thousand Glock pistols.

Chameleox
11-23-10, 23:52
If I'm thinking of the right part, there can't be that much room for it to bend.
Any way you can post a photo? I'd love to see it, and show it to other armorers at my department.
How was the gun otherwise? Round count? Is the owner/officer squared away with maintenance? Age of the gun, etc.

no1ofconsequence
11-23-10, 23:55
I thought it was a more than a little odd.

see pics -attached. (the post-it notes are there to hold the EDP in the correct position near the ruler)

It appears kind of slight here... but is especially obvious when the EDP rolls on a flat surface.

... not that I have seen thousands of Glocks... (but maybe the same couple of dozen several times!)

Either way - replaced w/ SP00112 for $3.

no1ofconsequence
11-24-10, 00:54
If I'm thinking of the right part, there can't be that much room for it to bend.
Any way you can post a photo? I'd love to see it, and show it to other armorers at my department.
How was the gun otherwise? Round count? Is the owner/officer squared away with maintenance? Age of the gun, etc.

Otherwise, the weapon was fine. Weapon is about 3 years old, I'm guessing LESS THAN 500 rounds. Officer maintenance is 'average' (read: negligent) - but, it IS a Glock. :rolleyes:

He shot our 4th Quarter Qualification with the weapon last month = no problems.

Robb Jensen
11-24-10, 06:04
Might have been bent from the factory when new.

javentre
11-24-10, 06:24
I wonder if he used that pin to help with further breakdown of the gun (frame pins)?

no1ofconsequence
11-24-10, 06:51
Gotm4 - yes... this is my best guess after thinking about it for a minute. Of course this would mean that factory QC "fell down" at some point... and I guess the spring on the end helped to 'smooth out' the curvature of the rod so that the whole EDP Assembly (rod, spring and bearing) was less noticable / within tolerances for the part design.

Javentre - ummmm... possibly. I haven't interrogated the officer yet ;) but it seems unlikely / outside of a plausible sequence:

One has to field strip first (no tools required)... THEN you have to remove the slide cover plate USING a pin punch or some sort of tool to apply pressure on the firing pin spacer sleeve IN ORDER to GET TO the EDP rod inside the slide. Even then, it's size / shape doesn't make for a good tool.

Chameleox
11-24-10, 06:57
Could this also happen if the extractor was repeatedly forced to work overtime? For example, if someone were to consistently slam the slide forward on an already chambered round, forcing the extractor to ride over the case rim at full speed. Over. And Over. And over again.

Just a hypothesis...

javentre
11-24-10, 06:58
One has to field strip first (no tools required)... THEN you have to remove the slide cover plate USING a pin punch or some sort of tool to apply pressure on the firing pin spacer sleeve IN ORDER to GET TO the EDP rod inside the slide. Even then, it's size / shape doesn't make for a good tool.

It's pretty easy to disassemble a slide, I've used a house key in a pinch.

no1ofconsequence
11-24-10, 07:19
Javentre - agreed... pushing down the firing pin spacer sleeve can be done with a myriad of things - BUT I just tried to remove the locking block pin / trigger pin / trigger mechanism housing pins USING the EDP rod - unsuccessful for all three. Wrong size tip / the 'nub' doesn't penetrate far enough to get the pins out of the frame.

Chameleox - interesting hypothesis. (BTW it's that kind of creative speculation that made me think of posting here ... & getting good insight thus far! - Thanks all!)
Can't say for sure, but my guess would be other parts would wear / deform long before the EDP rod (in order of likelyhood... extractor itself, EDP bearing, EDP spring, slide cover plate). {just my guess - with the realization that I am WELL BEYOND my area of expertise in proceeding further on this part!}

ElrodCod
11-24-10, 08:34
It's a cheap part. Replace it & check the new one after 500 rounds.

ST911
11-24-10, 11:06
I don't recall seeing a bent EDP in umpteen Glocks.

There's enough play in the channel that an EDP with a slight bend could be functional. I don't know that I'd say it was a QC problem if the gun was working, but it's odd.

When finding parts problems, I'm always suspicious of user "improvements", improper disassembly, etc. If the troop the gun is issued to isn't the type though, it's not unthinkable that the EDP shipped that way.

skyugo
11-24-10, 19:16
has to have been that way from the factory. or somebody detail stripped the slide, dropped the pin and stepped on it or something.

no way it happened while the gun was assembled.

no1ofconsequence
11-24-10, 22:05
All - got an e-mail from our Glock district manager today. He wants the part and will forward it to Technical Services @ HQ, while providing a new one.

I guess that is that. Thanks for the input!