PDA

View Full Version : Stop What You Are Doing, Buy This Book...

SteyrAUG
11-24-10, 13:23
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0935554009/ref=oss_product

The World's Assault Rifles [Hardcover]
Gary Paul Johnston (Author), Thomas B. Nelson (Author)

$56.20 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51P92jjq3YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Incredibly comprehensive.

clynch
11-24-10, 13:33
I was all set to buy this book until I saw this:

Gary Paul Johnston (Author)

Not to say Johnston isn't a capable writer, but if I'm going to drop 56+ bones on a book about said subject matter I expect a modicum of technical accuracy, and in that regard I think his performance is lackluster at best.

Unless he somehow channeled Ed Ezell, I'll pass.

SteyrAUG
11-24-10, 14:41

Not to say Johnston isn't a capable writer, but if I'm going to drop 56+ bones on a book about said subject matter I expect a modicum of technical accuracy, and in that regard I think his performance is lackluster at best.

I actually am not familiar with the author beyond owning this book. That said I'd rate this right up there with publications such as AK-47 The Grim Reaper by Frank Iannamico and the various books by Blake Stevens.

Phazuka
11-24-10, 19:46
Are there E-book versions of these books yet?

SteyrAUG
11-24-10, 19:54
Are there E-book versions of these books yet?

I don't know.

SteyrAUG
11-25-10, 00:27

Hey I just researched the guy and didn't find ANY other books except for one on Custer and two that were available in digital format only. What book did he write that didn't impress you with it's accuracy?

The second author seems to have a virtual catalog of works devoted to military historical topics.

IrishDevil
11-25-10, 01:10
Johnston writes a lot of gun mag articles, he's not as bad as say Charlie Cutshaw.

Spiffums
11-25-10, 12:28
He has a background in LE and writes Cop Talk for American Handgunner and something else for Weapons for LE and Mil. Those are the only columns I am familiar with.

TOrrock
11-25-10, 13:09
G.P. Johnston started writing back in the 80's.

He actually wrote some very good assault rifle articles back then for an annual called....."Assault Rifles".

Since then......not so much. Kind of like Kokalis.

If he got back to where he started writing decent, well researched articles, it might well be worth a look.

SteyrAUG
11-25-10, 13:49
G.P. Johnston started writing back in the 80's.

He actually wrote some very good assault rifle articles back then for an annual called....."Assault Rifles".

Since then......not so much. Kind of like Kokalis.

If he got back to where he started writing decent, well researched articles, it might well be worth a look.

I'm pretty far into this book with no spotted errors so far. Also this is more of a "facts and figures" book and doesn't allow much room for any opinion or bias. Basically it is an overview of what weapons are used by what country and when along with the description and function of each weapon. And while there have been similar works in the past like the book by Ezell, this one covers current weapon systems recently adopted.