PDA

View Full Version : DSA Buffer Tube

benw315
11-24-10, 17:01
Hey everybody

Sorry if this has been asked before... I searched a little and couldn't find anything but i have to get going for turkey day. I found a great deal

http://palmettostatearmory.com/598.php

and I believe you can sub a DD LPK instead of the palmetto state one for an extra fee. I think it comes with a DSA buffer tube. Are these good to go? Any feedback would be appreciated as I'm probably gonna check this thread whenever I can. Thanks everybody!

Ben

William B.
11-24-10, 17:06
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that DSA uses commercial spec buffer tubes. According to the description on that LPK it comes with a mil-spec tube, so I don't think that it's DSA.

Frens
11-24-10, 17:18
I have a DSA milspec buffer tube...they used to sell it for 20ish $$ a couple of years ago.
good milspec tube...works great with both my CTR and Colt M4 stock

I was told it's made of 6061 alloy instead of 7075... I dont really care...even DanielDefense use 6061 alloy in some (all?) of their rail system and nobody ever had a problem ;)

William B.
11-24-10, 17:33
You are correct, Frens. I assumed that they were commercial spec since they are 6 position.

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-US-Made-Mil-Spec-AR15-M4_CAR-6-Position-Mil-Spec-Buffer-Tube-----MAM4BFR6/productinfo/MAM4BFR6/

fdxpilot
11-24-10, 18:16
You are correct, Frens. I assumed that they were commercial spec since they are 6 position.

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-US-Made-Mil-Spec-AR15-M4_CAR-6-Position-Mil-Spec-Buffer-Tube-----MAM4BFR6/productinfo/MAM4BFR6/

Lots of good Mil-spec 6 position extensions around. BCM makes the one on my last 2 builds.

markm
11-24-10, 20:05
A $20 receiver extension is NOT going to be 7000 series aluminum. It's not going to be forged. And is SURE AS HELL isn't going to be mil spec... even though it has the same OD as a mil spec RE.

You're getting what you pay for. If it's a light dudy gun, you'll probably be fine.

Sanpete
11-24-10, 21:13
If you like the threads raised the entire threaded area (instead of flattened, like proper tubes are), so many stocks get stuck on them, then the dsa tubes are great. If you like improper length that doesn't properly cover the buffer retaining pin, then dsa is for you. No they're not "good to go", just like most of their sub-par parts.

DSZM4
11-25-10, 09:29
DSA makes both 6061 and 7075 extensions.

They makes many grades of parts depending on the customer. One thing they do over others is make a ton of parts. That most AR companies would just buy, there is a list TOF. They use 4140 and 4150 barrels 7075 and 6061 buffer tubes. Parts that really make a difference, they use the right materials like 7075 delta ring, 4140 barrel nuts, 7075 buffers. They supply a large amount of parts to manufactures some on this very board. On TOF they have been very transparent about AR manufacturing. At one time even just a couple years ago they bought all the parts now they make 80 percent of the parts.

Personally I think LMT tubes and Vltor tubes. DSA 6061 tubes are okay but sharp threads and rougher ID are how this tube can be sold so cheap. One thing that is great is that they are correct sized OD, good anodizing and a smooth finish due to tumbling the part. 6061 is still strong - have one DSA tube and a few LMTs I'll take the LMT.

They have the FAL as they main business and do a lot of the AR stuff for FMS, OEM and oversees rifle sales, and there cheap uppers. - never see anyone buying or stocking there M4 types except OMB or other LE places. Shit its $725 retail maybe less now idk. And the middy fluted was like $750 retail

7075 T6 upper M4 feedramps machined T marks no laser
7075 lower with bullet marks
158/8620 proper staked bcg (out sourced)
Nitrade 556 chamber 1:9 barrel with a forged sight base
Milspec od buffer tube(6061) 6 position
7075 buffer
Forged 7075 charging handle

One bad thing though they use non f height front base the reason a military contract that used A2s?? Idk

Disclosure I do know employees of DSA

fivefivesix
11-25-10, 10:24
a year ago i ordered a dsarms buffer kit with the stock. it has no markings as it was for a government contract. but the od was of the right diameter for milspec. and the raised threads did catch on the stock in the collapsed position. i thought they were all like that.
ill be replacing my tube.

djegators
11-25-10, 10:26
While it was not the aforementioned kit, I did use a package deal on a build, and the receiver extension was of unknown origin, and casued me nothing but trouble. I replaced the entire buffer, buffer tube, and spring with a set from BCM and the problems went away...

DSZM4
11-25-10, 10:45
I have never heard of issues with them at all and I know a major cool aid company used them for a while before only changing because they wanted 7075 and another major cool aid company still uses them for rifle builds.

Like I said its a great tube for a 6061 which btw is still strong its a extrusion. I really like the LMT myself but my maid a rifle uses a DSA tube.

LMT CQB middy 16" chrome lined
LMT sights
LMT enhanced bolt
NP3 M16 carrier
Steel charging handle
DSA 7075 buffer
Magpul trigger guard
Vltor modstock
Hogue grip
RM fvg with surefire
Laser devises red laser
Vortex fh
Magpul covers
RX30

And a DSA buffer tube lol

I have a ton of money in this rifle and it gets shot a lot if I was worried about a 6061 tube I would change it. It really don't make a difference. Colt told me the reason for them sticking with 7075 and not filing for a tdp change like when a company goes to a mim part, is there is a test the Army did using M4 to break a door down. The extra tenisel strength between 6061 and 7075 is 20,000 and in that Army test that mattered.

William B.
11-25-10, 11:02
A $20 receiver extension is NOT going to be 7000 series aluminum. It's not going to be forged. And is SURE AS HELL isn't going to be mil spec... even though it has the same OD as a mil spec RE.

You're getting what you pay for. If it's a light dudy gun, you'll probably be fine.

So... mil-spec diameter, but not mil-spec materials or quality?

DSZM4
11-25-10, 16:56
Yes mil spec OD 6061 material and different method for thread cutting real mil spec would have flat threads and 7075T6 material.

The DSA does have the vent hole on the back and a flat end BUT its also 6 positions instead of 5 positions like a Colt, LMT and Vltor.

BTW a real milspec can be forged or extruded 7075T6 but must have flatten threads and 5 positions.

Frens
11-25-10, 16:59
I think milspec tubes are 4pos

anyway my DSA has 5pos and the threads dont catch on the stock in the collapsed position

Hound_va
11-25-10, 18:30
The DSA does have the vent hole on the back and a flat end BUT its also 6 positions instead of 5 positions like a Colt, LMT and Vltor.

BTW a real milspec can be forged or extruded 7075T6 but must have flatten threads and 5 positions.

You do realize that the LMT has 6 positions and not 5 right?

DSZM4
11-25-10, 18:54
Yes but for us military if they buy lmt they buy 5 position

Hound_va
11-25-10, 19:21
Any sources for that bit of info? NSN 1005-01-544-9825 is definitely a 6 position.

William B.
11-25-10, 19:31
I think milspec tubes are 4pos

I'm pretty sure you're right. My M4 had a 4-pos stock and so does my 6920... but I've already been wrong once in this thread, so what do I know? :sarcastic:

djegators
11-25-10, 20:46
The ones BCM sells are 6 position. My Noveske has a 6 position one, and my 6920 has the 4 position one.

DSZM4
11-25-10, 21:22
Idk what there using now look it up there was just a rfq on fed biz ops for receiver extensions DSA, LMT and others bid on it I'm not sure if it was 4 or 6 I think it was 4, Neither LMT or DSA won some machine shop won.

This is what's happening all the time now a days gun manufactures are not winning these bids as much as they use to.

This is good for the general economy but not the gun industry. Small arms parts contracts use to be dominated by the gun industry now its really hit or miss. I did see LMT got one for H2 buffers DSA was in that one as well. DSA does a lot of FMS. Like this SCAR heavy mag rfi DSA is in that one so is c products then a bunch of unheard(non gun industry) of stamping houses.

I'm glad to be out of the generic AR parts business its all messed up. At the end there I was seeing so many new guys doing rails and mono types and pitching them to gun manufactures it was hard to keep things straight. If someone had the bank role you could create a pretty kick ass AR company but is there even enough customers for that product I doubt it..... Hence all the sales on custom ar shit, too many/much players, competition, innovation and market saturation.

Its a buyers market right now gear up I am I'm buying DD $1000 uppers for $550 its great for us sucks for them